Car Accident Last Night

We were wondering how long it would take... Last night someone was pulling out of their parking spot from watching the lights and got their bumper clipped by another car. I don't know if they were both just not watching or if they didn't turn their lights back on to leave or what, but it freaked out us. We stopped the show and walked out to see if everyone was alright, and everyone seemed okay and in a good mood all things considered. We started the show again 5 minutes later.

Still... Not a good feeling.

• 11 months later...

Here's the conversation the following day:

State Farm Agent: "Hello, how may I help you?"

Person: "Well, you aren't gonna believe this, but I was watching this awesome animated chrsitmas light display last night and ..."

I wonder how many times a year this does happen. Not your fault you have awesome lights, these people need to be better drivers.

Last year I had a viewer (teenager) parked in my next door neighbors driveway. I DO have an announcement in my show that asks people to respect my neighbors and not block the driveways or street, not to play music loud.. yada, yada, yada... Backing out of that driveway he hit another viewers car. Little damage, but the whole thing would have been avoided had this driver just never parked where he should not (neighbors driveway) have in the first place. Some people just think they are different and "special" and that rules of common courtesy do not apply to them. They only look out for #1 (themselves)

Thanks for the kind words Greg. I'm sure legally we're not at fault... But I still think it's a gray area.

Let's assume for a second, that I am, shall we say, a very attractive woman. If I go out to a busy street corner and lift up my shirt as cars go by and it distracts someone and there is an accident, I think I'd feel responsible. Where is the legal difference betwee "that" shiny distraction and our lights?

More than that, we don't want our lights to be anything but a gift to the community. If folks get hurt or need to come up with $$ to fix a car, then our mission may need rethinking.

I've been thinking about this a lot actually. I came home from the auto parts store (the new battery died and I exchanged it for a new one), I sat and watched the display for about 20 minutes. But, I was most distracted by the amount of vehicles that had lost their attention to the road. More than 10 vehicles had to make corrections to keep from hitting my parked vehicle. I clearly saw where they were looking.

On another note, I had the chance to also notice how fast people drive down my road on a consistent basis. I'm in a residential area and the posted speed limit is 25. I live on a block between a stop sign and a stop light. People just fly down the block to make the green light. Now I know from living here for 8 years, one can never make the light at any speed, but people continue to try :confused: I'm afraid that some kids might be out and one of these maniacs might hurt one of them. I have started to take license plate numbers. I don't know what else I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's assume for a second, that I am, shall we say, a very attractive woman. If I go out to a busy street corner and lift up my shirt as cars go by and it distracts someone and there is an accident, I think I'd feel responsible. Where is the legal difference betwee "that" shiny distraction and our lights?

One is an illegal act (indecent exposure, possible done to cause an accident) and the other is not. Lets change that a little, two fine looking young gals in halter tops and short skirts. Happens all the time. A friend in the collision business says he gets more work from that than he does snow damage.

I have started to take license plate numbers. I don't know what else I can do.

Send a letter to local law enforcement and ask them to monitor the situation. They may have a portable speed radar that they can set up to collect statistics. Based on the statistics they collect, they can take action.
  • 2 months later...

Attractive nuisance I believe it is called. I have an umbrella policy for this.

People can sue for any reason. I have had a show since 2006 and have had dozens of wrecks, cars pulling back too far into a ditch or soft ground, dead batteries, arguments over people leaving on their lights, you name it. Never a lawsuit but insurance just in case. It was a small fee relative to my home owners policy.

Rw

• 1 year later...

Attractive nuisance I believe it is called. I have an umbrella policy for this.

People can sue for any reason. I have had a show since 2006 and have had dozens of wrecks, cars pulling back too far into a ditch or soft ground, dead batteries, arguments over people leaving on their lights, you name it. Never a lawsuit but insurance just in case. It was a small fee relative to my home owners policy.

Rw

FBinthesouth what is a relative small fee to you mean?  I'm think about getting an unbrella policy for the display.  Before I start looking I wanted to know a ballpark price. thanks