Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mskathie32

Already planning 2011 Christmas display!! :)

Hello! I am needing to get info on a fence that is about 3 1/2 feet tall. Something people cannot just walk over. This fence will have to come down after xmas so it' also has to be sturdy. In the past I am using pvc but it stands 5 feet tall. With the lights on the fence it's taking away from my display.

I am thinking of doing another pvc fence because it can withstand rain/water and with our Lancaster Ca winds it stays up. If anyone has a great idea with pvc please send me pics.

Also...I want to do some changing plants in our front yard. We just bought our home 2 years ago and living in the Antelope Valley (CA) desert they want us to steer away from so many plants. I agree but want to make sure I use the plants while Christmas time. They gave us these dumb flowery plant that cant hold but 50 lights if that. Any idea's on plants would be great as well!!

Make the fence functional - a "fence" of leaping arches! You can get away with "tripling" them up on each channel. Hurry! Only 300 days left to get them done. ;-)

Maybe you've thought of this but... Our mailman liked to "cut through" my flowerbed in frond of the house. To discourage him I bought some of that inexpensive Green or White wire fencing that is 30" tall from Walmart. Takes a moment to push into the ground. I guess I could zip tie lights to it? Never thought of it but heck yea. My display sits up 30" from the sidewalk so people are not just walking into it, its at the perfect height to view.

The Arches will work too, if you have enough.

I needed a temporary fence to keep the dog from running thru my lights and wires. I used the plastic "Snow Fence" found at HD with a few metal poles as fence posts. I did buy the bright orange so the dog could see it but I decorated mine with lights and it looks great. If you want it hidden, buy the dark green fencing. That's much harder to see at night

Make the fence functional - a "fence" of leaping arches! You can get away with "tripling" them up on each channel. Hurry! Only 300 days left to get them done. ;-)

My mailman walked thru my yard and destroyed my lawn lights

This is definitely something to take into consideration. I would go to the Post Office and let them know your mailmain walked through your lawn, I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to cut through lawns, especially through fences/decorations. I would drive re-bar into the ground and get the little garden fence at big home centers or such. Then you could either drop the fence right on top or tie them off, should hold up to the wind. I think I may need to do something this year, I'll keep an eye on this thread and post any ideas/pics that I come up with.

Or put a couple signs that say, danger, high voltage. You would be amazed how a little sign helps. I used to have kids run into my yard, but with the signs now, the parents seem to have a better understanding on keeping the kids out. Dogs, no help there. Maybe one of those silent type fences, that puts out a tone that we cannot hear, but they do

Guest Lightzilla

I use those electrical PVC black cattle posts and hang Christmas lights all them. That acts as a good fence for me. I cut them to about 36 inches from the 48 inches that they come in. Of course the severe cold helps too because no one walks to view the display but they drive and stay warm in the car.

Those black cattle posts work very well for "Blowmolds" too. If you have "Blowmolds" with holes in the bottom of them, then you can slip them over the posts and they stay put in the high winds we get here. About 90 km/ph winds (55mph)

You can see these posts holding the lights and blowmolds in this video. ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1VUW-hJghtA

I stake the perimeter of the yard with lights on 6" stakes. People can easily step over these and sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and I have to fix them. My lot slopes down from the street and if I put up any kind of fencing it severely blocks the view of the show. So I just deal with it and do minor fixes each afternoon. So far I haven't had any extreme incursions, but it's only a matter of time.

Most people understand it's implied not to go in the yard. Some people just don't get it.