Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mwhite7097

I need to thank you all!

I need to thank you all! I was a true newbie this year but with the help of many PC members, my shows were a huge hit! I couldn't have done it without your help.

I just want to share a card I received on Christmas Eve.

"Dear Mr. White

My name is Gabby and I am 13 years old. My Mom and I came to your show Friday night and LOVED IT!!!. Thank you so much. For the past 2 years, Christmas has been sad for us because my Dad died and my Mom and I didn't feel like celebrating. But your show made it feel like Christmas again so thank you. It really "Brightened" our night. We will be back!

p.s. We love the blue lights!"

This card brought tears to the eyes of everyone in my family. I am a crotchety 47 year old construction worker who never before did much for Christmas and am not sure why I even got into the lights this year, but I would do all the setup for the shows again next year even if she was the only one who came. This is what it is all about.

So Thank You ALL who helped with my stupid questions or your awesome ideas and tips. I am truly hooked now and forever and feel like a part of the PC family.

Mike White

Mike, I had a similar experience with a group of church ladies. One of them told me that she had lost her dad 2 weeks ago and just didn't have the Christmas spirit. After seeing my house, she went home, got her daughter and brought her back to see the lights. I really felt good that my lights helped them get back in the spirit of Christmas.

Good job to you.

i'll chime in here as well, although I didnt have the chance to help Mike, I am more than willing to help anyone on these forums that I can. I am a 2nd year animated Christmas light person myself, and had it not been for the PC forums, and the great people here, no way I would be where I am today with my display! I too was a HUGE grinch at Christmastime, if I wouldnt have found these forums, I would probably still be in "my funk" this time of year. Thanks PC, its great people that make forums like this a huge success!!

Happy New Year to all!

-troy

In October 2003, My Grandmother and Mother-in-law both passed away. Both had been battling major illness, so by the time they passed my wife and I were emotionally spent. I wasn't in the mood at all for lights, but I decided to hang one row of lights on the roof line. I ended up putting up the whole display, and afterwards we all felt a little better. My Mother-in-law in particular really liked our annual displays, so we felt she would approve.

I also would like to chime in!!! Everyone I have spoken to in the forums either ones I started asking questions or ones I have joined much like this one...EVERYONE has been absolutely wonderful in helping not only me but anyone who asks for help!!! And unlike other forum sites where you may not get a response for weeks or months I have been getting response times in hours!!! Thanks to all those who have helped me and just like fxdwg stated in this forum I will be glad to help if anyone needs it.

My stories this year...I have a 12 year old girl in the neighborhood that asked for "special" time from her mom to stay out after dark so she can watch my lights. She is there every day at 5:55pm checking her cell phone for the time and counts down to 6:00pm when the show starts...EVERY NIGHT!!! I was talking with her one night and she said "Mister...can I ask you a question?" I said sure..."Why don't you have Jingle Bells in the lights? That's my favorite Christmas song." Without hesitation I told her I would make sure that "her song" Jingle Bells will be in the show next year!!!!

And for all of you that think your neighbors "hate" your light show....I have a "Crotchety Old Man" that lives next door to me...during the year. If I cut 1/2" over into his lawn he knocks on my door to let me know...or he will call code enforcement if I park the tires of my truck on my lawn and not on the driveway...or if my Rottis bark after 9pm(which by the way...don't bark much and are inside dogs). You get the picture... with that in mind...tonight I get a knock at the door about 8pm...assuming it was him because it is the 7th of January and my lights are still up...I figured it was Crotchety. Well I was right...only to my BIG surprise he asked me to come outside because he wanted to talk to me. (Uh Oh!!!!) He handed me an envelope and said that he knew that he was a bit of a pain in the but and his New Year's Resolution was to be a better neighbor!!! He said since his wife had past a few years ago he really just wasn't a happy man. He had stopped decorating for Christmas and the last two years he has been "secretly" parking his car in front of my house with the radio dialed to my show almost every night (and he lives right next door!!!! & I have speakers in the front yard!!!!). I told him of course that I appreciated the fact that he was enjoying the show and that I was worried that he didn't like them and wanted me to take them down!!! He chuckled and said I can understand why you might have thought that. He then said the envelope is for you...it's not much and I hope it will help...but I just wanted to thank you for putting Christmas back into my life. I thanked him again and he left to head back home. When I came back inside I told my wife about our conversation (of course she thought the worst too) and I opened the envelope. It was a Christmas Card with a handwritten note that said "Thank You for putting Christmas back into my life and I hope your Holiday and your New Year will be as "Bright" as your Christmas Lights" and contained a Lowe's Gift card for $500!!!! WOW I was speechless!!!!

So next year I will have to make sure that you 12 year old friend and my Non-Crotchety neighbor have something special in the show next year!! She will be getting "Jingle Bells" added as a song and I will be adding the Arches that I wanted to do next year anyways and dedicate them to my neighbor for his unexpected donation!!!

So for those of you that don't think people enjoy your display or have second thoughts about whether it is worth it...think again!!!! Put a chair in the lawn and sit out in front of your displays to enjoy your hard work and people will stop to ask questions and share their stories with you!! It's also a great way to make sure everything is working properly!!!! LOR has allowed me to take what my dad and I use to do when I was a kid to the next level and I continue to do my display in his memory!!! Thanks DAD you were One in a Million!!!!

I also would like to chime in!!! Everyone I have spoken to in the forums either ones I started asking questions or ones I have joined much like this one...EVERYONE has been absolutely wonderful in helping not only me but anyone who asks for help!!! And unlike other forum sites where you may not get a response for weeks or months I have been getting response times in hours!!! Thanks to all those who have helped me and just like fxdwg stated in this forum I will be glad to help if anyone needs it.

My stories this year...I have a 12 year old girl in the neighborhood that asked for "special" time from her mom to stay out after dark so she can watch my lights. She is there every day at 5:55pm checking her cell phone for the time and counts down to 6:00pm when the show starts...EVERY NIGHT!!! I was talking with her one night and she said "Mister...can I ask you a question?" I said sure..."Why don't you have Jingle Bells in the lights? That's my favorite Christmas song." Without hesitation I told her I would make sure that "her song" Jingle Bells will be in the show next year!!!!

And for all of you that think your neighbors "hate" your light show....I have a "Crotchety Old Man" that lives next door to me...during the year. If I cut 1/2" over into his lawn he knocks on my door to let me know...or he will call code enforcement if I park the tires of my truck on my lawn and not on the driveway...or if my Rottis bark after 9pm(which by the way...don't bark much and are inside dogs). You get the picture... with that in mind...tonight I get a knock at the door about 8pm...assuming it was him because it is the 7th of January and my lights are still up...I figured it was Crotchety. Well I was right...only to my BIG surprise he asked me to come outside because he wanted to talk to me. (Uh Oh!!!!) He handed me an envelope and said that he knew that he was a bit of a pain in the but and his New Year's Resolution was to be a better neighbor!!! He said since his wife had past a few years ago he really just wasn't a happy man. He had stopped decorating for Christmas and the last two years he has been "secretly" parking his car in front of my house with the radio dialed to my show almost every night (and he lives right next door!!!! & I have speakers in the front yard!!!!). I told him of course that I appreciated the fact that he was enjoying the show and that I was worried that he didn't like them and wanted me to take them down!!! He chuckled and said I can understand why you might have thought that. He then said the envelope is for you...it's not much and I hope it will help...but I just wanted to thank you for putting Christmas back into my life. I thanked him again and he left to head back home. When I came back inside I told my wife about our conversation (of course she thought the worst too) and I opened the envelope. It was a Christmas Card with a handwritten note that said "Thank You for putting Christmas back into my life and I hope your Holiday and your New Year will be as "Bright" as your Christmas Lights" and contained a Lowe's Gift card for $500!!!! WOW I was speechless!!!!

So next year I will have to make sure that you 12 year old friend and my Non-Crotchety neighbor have something special in the show next year!! She will be getting "Jingle Bells" added as a song and I will be adding the Arches that I wanted to do next year anyways and dedicate them to my neighbor for his unexpected donation!!!

So for those of you that don't think people enjoy your display or have second thoughts about whether it is worth it...think again!!!! Put a chair in the lawn and sit out in front of your displays to enjoy your hard work and people will stop to ask questions and share their stories with you!! It's also a great way to make sure everything is working properly!!!! LOR has allowed me to take what my dad and I use to do when I was a kid to the next level and I continue to do my display in his memory!!! Thanks DAD you were One in a Million!!!!

Okay, I don't want to get all sappy here, but that story made me cry. Literally. What a great story. Thank you!

see that is whats its all about and and we should never lose sight of it no matter how big or how much money we rise your displays arent really for us its for that little child or that woman /man that goin to thru a tough time if we can make 1 person happy then we have done what we set out to do good job everyone