Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
rbdes

Artificial Trees

Has anyone ever used the indoor only artificial trees outside? Wondering if the rain would make them fall apart. Thanks

Has anyone ever used the indoor only artificial trees outside? Wondering if the rain would make them fall apart. Thanks
I purchased 3ft green trees at the after Christmas clearance sales and have been using mine for 3 years outside they have been rained on and sat covered with snow and there still holding up just fine

I have 11 6 foot trees outside that I got from garage sales and off craigslist this is their 2nd year and they are holding up good. There is a little rust on the wireframe branches but that is about it.

They will work just fine. I have used many of them. This year we have over 24 of them in the display. One is a 17 foot monster we call the Macy's tree. They hold up fine. The metal does rust a bit but they generally last us about 3 years before they get to ratty to use.

My dueling Holdman tree line did fine the first year and so far this year they look good. I use white trees as opposed to the twig style cause they are more available and cheep! Get them and you won't regret it.

Yes...we have multiple. These are pics from last years show...we didnt have any of them from this year for some reason...but anyways we hold them up with a 5ft piece of metal conduit. works AWESOME. This year we put LED's on them...they looked great. attached are some pics...

post-5001-129571264922_thumb.jpg

post-5001-129571264936_thumb.jpg

Great pics Ryan!

I use 2' rebar pounded into the ground and just slip the tree over top with the base attached. Never had one fall yet! Also the 4' trees only needed 18" rebar and the base was not needed.

Has anyone tried a Fiber Opitc trees out side or is that a bad idea?

I would be VERY concerned with fiber optic trees outside. I would say no. PLUS remember the 20ft rule...Fiber optic trees look good up close, but once you get a good distance away, its hard to tell what is happening. In fact, sometimes it can just look plain ol' bad.

My dueling Holdman tree line did fine the first year and so far this year they look good. I use white trees as opposed to the twig style cause they are more available and cheep! Get them and you won't regret it.

What kind of trees are you talking about being cheap? I would like to add some white trees to my display and when you said cheap my ears perked up....lol

Here is a vid of my 2009 display... I loved the Holdman tree line but was never able to find the twig trees so I could re-create the effect. So I used artifical white trees from walmart. Sadly in 2009 I was unable to make the display red, green, clear. So, I wraped clear lights on the trees. They had already came pre-lit with multi's so thats what I used.

I actually just bought 3 more 4' trees and 6 more 6.5' trees this year at the 75% off sales. Next year I'll have 2 rows, 4' trees in front of the 6' trees... all red, green, clear. I even found 18" trees and may be putting a 3rd row in (over kill??? lol). This year, the tree I've found is the "O" tree from walmart. There is mulit and clear pre lit trees. I found all clear trees. They were $9.50 each. I only put 400 lights on them, and they look fine. The 4' trees were used because for 2 years I was unable to find white trees in our area. This led me to get the mix of tall and short. But now I'm expanding and can do what I realy wanted to do from the first year :D

I have several mini-trees I use outdoors. They have the same construction as the indoor trees. In fact, the big tree I do not use any more for inside came from Colorado where it sat in a flooded basement for a week when I was out here visiting my soon-to-be wife. It's rusty and musty and that's why it's not used too often. I might move it to outdoors purposes next year as well. I know just where to put it.

Here is a vid of my 2009 display... I loved the Holdman tree line but was never able to find the twig trees so I could re-create the effect. So I used artifical white trees from walmart.

I am kicking myself now! I started to buy a bunch of those trees the other day for $9.50. Aaaahhh. Which ones in your video are the Walmart trees??? The larger ones to the left?

I used three 4 ft trees from Lowe's last year and did not get the rebar tall enough to attach that top section. The trees came in 3 sections. So the tops blew out and 2 of them bent really bad. Also with the kinds of trees that have branches that attach or poke into the pole in the center, wind and cats will knock those out, so if you have cats around, beware of that. I found little 3 ft ones at the dollar store before Christmas for 5 bucks and they worked fine zip tied to rebar.

One tip when you take down the trees that have the removable branches I zip tie all the same size/color branches together. Sometimes when the wire branches get a little rusty it can be hard to tell which color is painted on the wire or if there is colored tape on the branches it becomes brittle after a month in the weather.

Clyde,

I picked up 7 type o's and 2 type g's, do they hold up when they get wet?

My 6.5' tree of choice is the White Colorado Pine (Type O this year) In the past they were a different "type". They have held up extremely well. The rain and snow(not much this year yet) has not weighted down the tree. Once again I only use 400 ct lights red, green, clear. On the lower row of branches I use 1 whole string. Second row up gets 1 set. Next is the middle section of the tree which gets 1 set of lights... Then the top section I kind of only keep lights in the front half and use 1 string to cover the top. I definitely don't have LOADS OF LIGHTS. But I'm also concerned with power consumption/maxing out my channels. I could do what Richard Holdman dose and put 1,000 lights on it. But I my controllers can only handle 15amps. that would max my channels at 26.4amps! lol

I am kicking myself now! I started to buy a bunch of those trees the other day for $9.50. Aaaahhh. Which ones in your video are the Walmart trees??? The larger ones to the left?

Go get them! These trees come in 3 sections, the main reason for me purchasing them. The 3 trees in the middle (left tree line) are this-year's Type "O" tree (Colorado Pine). The (six) small 4' trees beside them are also Walmart trees... They are Indiana Spruce and have 2 sections. I put 200 lights on these. By the way, the trees on the right tree line are also Colorado Pine style in GREEN. Same exact tree, different color.

I used three 4 ft trees from Lowe's last year and did not get the rebar tall enough to attach that top section. The trees came in 3 sections. So the tops blew out and 2 of them bent really bad. Also with the kinds of trees that have branches that attach or poke into the pole in the center, wind and cats will knock those out, so if you have cats around, beware of that. I found little 3 ft ones at the dollar store before Christmas for 5 bucks and they worked fine zip tied to rebar.

This is exactly why I purchased these exact trees. They have 3 sections, easy to set up (in minutes I had ALL of the artificial trees up and running). Once again, all I do is pound a 2' section of rebar into the ground so that 1' is above ground. NO PROBLEMS YET! Last year all these trees survived outside till March 3 when I could actually get to them. We had 36" of snow fall in Feb 2009 and I couldn't get anything down due to my work schedule / weather trends.

One tip when you take down the trees that have the removable branches I zip tie all the same size/color branches together. Sometimes when the wire branches get a little rusty it can be hard to tell which color is painted on the wire or if there is colored tape on the branches it becomes brittle after a month in the weather.

I'd highly suggest NOT getting the trees that poke into tree trunk, wrapping lights will be a challenge. I have 1 tree I got 4 years ago and pre-lit it myself. It takes me 2 hours to set it up and test the lights (indoor tree). No way will I use that outside, way to much work. But when the branches just fold down and you attach the other 2 sections, it's so fast.

Don't forget that it takes 1 - 1 1/2 hours to wrap the tree with lights. If you're starting from scratch, it can take you up to 2 weeks to get them the way you like them! But it was worth it. Hate to say it though, but the white trees shed all over my carpet... I'm still finding those little white bristles all over and I finished wrapping lights in November. Also, it would be wise to wrap colored electrical tape around the male and female plug ends. This save soooo much time during set up when I went to hook it all up. I ended up doing this to ALL my light strings. What a difference that $10 can make in set up time!

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any thing!

Edited by relxerd
Stinking type-o's :p

Also with the kinds of trees that have branches that attach or poke into the pole in the center, wind and cats will knock those out, so if you have cats around, beware of that.

Another thing to beware of are the male cats that aren't clipped...they will SPRAY your tree! We had a tree on our front porch that went to the dump today because of a cute little cat that started showing up not long before we put up our display. I am sure there is a way to get the smell out somehow, but I just really do not have the desire to de-spray a tree...call me crazy lol. I will gladly bite the bullet on this one and just replace it. :)

\ I am sure there is a way to get the smell out somehow, but I just really do not have the desire to de-spray a tree...call me crazy lol. I will gladly bite the bullet on this one and just replace it. :)

Easy, use bleach... lysol... fabrese... something will work and ya don't have to scrub it. Besides, if you put it in the basement, sooner or later it will smell like the basement any way ;) lol... just kidding. You can throw it away if you want to.

As my Mother In Law is constantly changing her mind ...and trees, we get all the old ones she tosses out.

I have 10 fake trees outside- we leave them set up, drape them with a contruction sized garbage bag and off to the shed they go.

Rust has been a minor irssue, a can of Rust-o-leum helps with that, it's that darned snow blower that gets'em.

For Inside, my bride set up 23 trees this year....oh we have more, thats how many she got around to... from 2' to 10' (12 are > 6')

We use nail polish to paint the arms AND the pole to get the right branches on the right level. Could use spray paint, but this helps clean out the unused nail polish.

Well, my friends did a very nice village scene this year and used a tree they got from Walmart clearence in 2009. He was very pleased with the village, but his wife was unhappy with the "holes" in the artifical tree. So he just purchased a new, bigger artificial tree for his Village (+7'). And, he gave me the artificial tree... It just happens to be the Colorado Pine, what I use outside. I'm pretty happy with an extra ;)