Season almost done...

...and for the first time in many years I'm just looking forward to it ending. Maybe next year we'll get a plague of locusts or something, but otherwise I can't imagine much worse weather (other than the few weeks of really nice weather we had during setup before it snowed in November...)

...and for the first time in many years I'm just looking forward to it ending. Maybe next year we'll get a plague of locusts or something, but otherwise I can't imagine much worse weather (other than the few weeks of really nice weather we had during setup before it snowed in November...)

I agree. This has been the toughest year in a long, long time. You know that I don't dig out my display for tear down like you do. Not to worry, it is taking itself down. One GFCI tripped tonight, a "giant fuzzy candy cane" is falling over because of the rain, and the squirrels ate through at least one string of lights. I'm going out tomorrow for one more repair run. . .

The melting snow is pulling over the stuff in the yard... The mini trees are at weird angles, the twig trees are halfway to the road, and the candy canes are goign in all different directions. I cheated last night and had 11 cords running out the side door to keep things running.

I'm not sure if I can even take much down until it melts. Hopefully nothing get too damaged.

Here's to a better 2011!!!

Hope you all have a happy new year!

-Mark

The melting snow is pulling over the stuff in the yard... The mini trees are at weird angles, the twig trees are halfway to the road, and the candy canes are goign in all different directions. . . .-Mark

Sounds like the basis for a Halloween display :D I've got some very large candy canes that are drooping and almost to the ground. I have 4 guy wires per cane, but they are for side to side movement -- so at least they're going down straight! Next year I'm going to get some 8' rebar to hold them up!

Happy New Year to you too.

I am lucky that most of my stuff is up near the house where it's been partly covered by awnings. I have bigger plans for 2011, and I'm remaining optimistic that this year was the exception and not the rule when it comes to December snowfall. Next year, I will be MUCH more impacted by a deep snow. I'm thinking I may just prepare anyway, and figure out a way to display stuff elevated in some way.

Guest Lightzilla

Well I guess it could be worse if it was to drop to -20F for 2 weeks and freeze everything solid. I guess that is one advantage of living up here as it did not get warmer than +5F for December. That way the snow stays a power that can easily be moved. Also it snowed no more than 12 inches in December this year. Well today it is a bit warmer outside & snowing & so it is that heavy wet snow.

Good thing I took most of the lawn displays down yesterday.

I certainly wish you all the best in take down.