Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
rameyg

Help! Need good advice on ext. Cords

I sure everyone know by now that Lowes reduced their Christmas lights by 75% today and everything was pretty well picked over at the Lowes I normally shop. Well almost all gone, I decovered that they had moved all their Holiday ext. cords and some GE holiday cord away from the Christmas decorations and no one realized they were 75% off.

I purchased some, but didn't want to make a big deal until I found out what to buy.

My questions is this, they had some 10':confused: & 20' grounded cords at 75% off as well as the three pack of SPT-1 cords (2-9 ft. 1 6ft.) and some 15 ft as well. Assuming they are still available what is the best type and length cords to buy. I like to go back today and make a purchase if they are not all gone.

Next year will be my first year using LOR!

Any help will be appreciated

Edited by rameyg

You know, it varries. I found some 6' cords ($.81 each) at Target and that is cheep for this area. Well, I'm using them to build 5 controlers (dongles). But to be honest, I use the 20' more than anything. Just depends... sometimes I'll use a 15 + 6' when I'm short. If I could get regular 20' SPT wire, I'd be all set. In general if they're on sale and you have the money for them... Get them!

Thanks for the feed back. I stopped by the same Lowes store this evening and checked out the Christmas section to see what if anything was left. Everything was just about gone except some C7 & C9's so I thought I would see if anything was left of the ext. cords in the electrical dept.

I could not believe that no one had decovered that the holiday cords and power stakes were 75% off. There was about 50 20 ft grounded cords still there along with the three pack spt cords and a variety of power stakes. Guess I'll go back tomorrow and buy all the 20 ft. cords that are left ($2.24) each along with some more of the 3 pack spt cords ($1.24) and a couple more of the $24.97 remote power stakes for ($6.24).

Thanks

Yea they're rare to find. I've never had luck finding "steals" on extension cords. Best price I found ever was $.10/foot. I bought all 30 they had, it was 18 gauge wire so I used them only on the arches. No chance of them getting to hot. I got a couple 12' tree cords at walmart I may use, but I don't know yet.

Well I finally got a chance to go by Lowes again to see if anything was left. Much to my surprise no one had figured out about the discount on the extension cords located in the electrical dept. I was able to pick up 32 10 ft 16/3 green cords for $1.74 each and a case of (21) 16/3 20 ft green cords for $2.24 each. That still left a case of the 10 ft and 20 ft at the discount price. I would have got those as well but not much money left over after Christmas.

Now I want have a choice about switching to LOR for next year. I got to much invested in ext. cords. I think I've spent more on after Christmas ext. cords that I did on lights. LOL;)

I was lucky, I found a bunch of cords at the Target 75% off sale ... they were only ringing up as 30% off, so I asked the manager if I could buy them for 75%. He said sure, lets move these ... and I ended up getting everything for 75% off the already 30% off prices. So I was getting 40' green 13A outdoor cords for like $1.18 and plenty of 22' tri-tap and 15' outdoor cords for $.87 each. I was thrilled. Then found a ton of the 9' indoor cords for around $.49 each. I was happy to find cords, since on the lights front, I wasn't finding much at all.

This year, built another 6 controller with my own cords and cut the 15' cords and had approx 9' channel cords coming out of the PC controllers and 6' feed cords. Its really nice for hooking things up, but very heavy ... and splicing the cords takes a lot of time.

If I had to do it over again, I'd just buy the cords from LOR and save myself all the work, because I'm not sure I saved much at all.