Sequencing Help (LSP)

So I have watched the tutorials on LSP, I have a semi-decent understanding of how the program works. Where can I find tips or tutorials on actual sequencing? I plan on having 6 LOR contollers for 96 channels. I created a power point presentation of my display and then a separate page for what each controller will control, I think I have about 8 ppt pages. I guess I just need some tips on how to go about the actual sequencing. Should I concentrate on just one controller at a time or by what actually will come on at that portion of the song, which means skipping around controllers. Any help to take a step in the right direction will be a great help, Thank you.

So I have watched the tutorials on LSP, I have a semi-decent understanding of how the program works. Where can I find tips or tutorials on actual sequencing? I plan on having 6 LOR contollers for 96 channels. I created a power point presentation of my display and then a separate page for what each controller will control, I think I have about 8 ppt pages. I guess I just need some tips on how to go about the actual sequencing. Should I concentrate on just one controller at a time or by what actually will come on at that portion of the song, which means skipping around controllers. Any help to take a step in the right direction will be a great help, Thank you.

LightShow Pro has posted a number of how-to videos on their products here: http://www.vimeo.com/user2845592

Have you checked out the controller planning worksheets from Quartz Hill located here: http://www.quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

As to how to actually squence - that's often a matter of opinion. Some people put in all the timing marks first then go back and do each element, some sequence all elements at the same time for a given time frame. After you do two or three songs, you'll have a pretty good idea of what method works best for you and you'll see the quality of your work jump dramaticly from your first songs. No worry - there are still 11 months left!

Thanks for the tips and links. Ref 11 more months left.... thats why I am starting now to try and get a grasp of how to do it.

Do you manually put in your timing marks, I have been setting mine to 1/5 sec then just started adding some tempo settings like saprono alto etc.

I'm just as new as your are vvolf27, however I have looked at a few finished products and done a song myself.

When I started the song I went with just all 48 channels and programed 5 second at a time. This was not the best.

I later went with each tempo section and decided what part of my display was the main for that section and did it then went back after that section was done and filled in the rest.

Then I downloaded a song and modified it to my display and noticed they had a track called timing. That made me think they went through the hole song and timed changes. This I think is the best way. I have 15 seconds left on my very first song from scratch and I think my next one I will be doing the timing track.

As for tempo's, I did play around a bit with this. I started with just tap. That is slow and not very acurate. Then I switched to a fixed grid .05. Then I used Beat wizzard and made a timing track for 1x Beat 1/4 Beat, 1/2 Beat and even 1/16th beat. This I found worked best. For fast transitions I used the 1/16th Beat. For background work I used 1x or 1/2x beat and for most of it I used 1/4 Beat. I did notice some problems with the beat wizard during tempo changes so you might need to use it for timed increments instead of the whole song.

Now don't forget this is just my first song and those were the steps I went through. You might want to go through them as well or just jump to what I'm going to do for the next song which is use a 1/16 Timing Track to layour the timings of the whole song then go back and do each scene.

Also one of the problems I found with my first song was it's not perfectly fluid from start to finish because of the learning curve I took on the way through it. So a good plan will go a long way and probably sitting and listening to the entire song over and over again doing your timing track will probably help you see the whole display instead of what I did which was each section.

Hope this helps.

Do you manually put in your timing marks, I have been setting mine to 1/5 sec then just started adding some tempo settings like saprono alto etc.

The same applies to timing marks - I've seen people sware by the beat wizard in S2, some say it stinks. Some like to use the tap wizard (S2 and LSP) some don't. Some use the spectrograph function within LSP to find the peaks (I use this method) some just listen by ear. As to timing marks and their spacing - that really depends on how tight and entergetic you want your diplay to be and how much time you want to spend sequencing.

dmoore,

Thank you the link to the videos, LSP has a learning curve but I like how robust it is and simplified things can become. I think I may have solved one of my problems. For my mini trees I have 3 different controllers contoling them, sometimes it is only one channel from a controller on that tree for lets say green. The problem I was having is tree 1, white is on controller one channel 15, tree 2 is on controller 5, channel 11, it was difficult to create a chase sequence because they are so spread out, I created layers before, but my mistake was trying to work with only the auto transitions, I forgot I could do normal effects in there as well.

So now I will create layers, mini tree 1 white, mini tree 1 red, mini tree 1 green etc, then sequence via my layers, I guess I am more of a visual person, I can see my show in my head, so by having the different items assigned to a layer I feel I can more easily control it. One of the videos I watched opened my eyes to that method.

I have 4 arches, 6 mini trees, 4 poles, 12 channel mega tree with a 2 channel star and a wall of lights for the back ground, not 100% sure if I will keep the wall of green and red because it takes up 16 channels that I might want to use or create something else with.

Again thank you all for helping me try to figure out how to sequence.

Edited by vvolf27

Yes, the layers (pretty much like virtual controllers also) work excellent for this function. In LOR they are called "tracks". Be sure to layout the channels/controllers on your display so that if you do use transitions, even with simple displays, you can use the transitions function to "auto sequence" them.

Thanks for the help, I just keep playing around with it and eventually I am sure I will get an ah hah moment as things click together. Like I said I pretty much know what I want my sequence to look like I just got to figure out how to get it into LSP. I might try a virtual controller to so I can group my items together, layers did not do exactly what I was hoping for or either that I didn't set the effect correctly.

Edited by vvolf27

Not in there, you have to right click on the audio wave window up top then select timings from audio or something similiar to that (sorry at work no LSP here) then make sure you turn the sensitivity up, then select what you want it to set timing points for. Soprano, alto, tennor, snare, bass etc. Hope this helps.

Here is a good video for how too's on audio.

http://vimeo.com/18365686

Edited by vvolf27

In your opinion what would be the best way to go about setting up a chase sequence using my 6 mini trees, first sequence will be white, then the next sequence would be red starting left to right. If I do layers and try it either the lights start on the swipe off or they are off then swipe on. I know it may sound silly but this is what I am trying to figure out for the first part of my song. Or should I try just setting ramp down for each timing?

In your opinion what would be the best way to go about setting up a chase sequence using my 6 mini trees, first sequence will be white, then the next sequence would be red starting left to right. If I do layers and try it either the lights start on the swipe off or they are off then swipe on. I know it may sound silly but this is what I am trying to figure out for the first part of my song. Or should I try just setting ramp down for each timing?

http://vimeo.com/11969010 maybe this video will help

BTW, LSP forum is monitored much more closely and you would be answered more quickly over at that forum.

Edited by mmulvenna