Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
decoRator

C9 LEDs on the roofline?

I saw some C9 LEDs at Sam's Club before Christmas in multi & white for $9.99/25 ct. Don't remember the vendor but might have been GE. The display looked kinda dull but probanbly would inside a lighted building but when I went back after Christmas - nada - all were gone. Just wondering if anybody bought some and how did they look and hold up on your roofline for instance? Did they dim okay?

I used C9's in Red and White and C7's in Blue on my roof line. Controlled each color on seperate channels. I got mine from Menards at the end of the season last year for 50% off so I paid $7.50 / set of 25 LED. I used 10 sets of each color across my roof line for a total of 500 C9 and 250 C7. Looks great and dimmed fine all season without an issue. They will be up there again next year. The only reason I used C7 Blues is cuz they were out of C9s in blue. I also had 24 LED strobes from CDI on the roofline. Plan to add White and Blue icicle lights next year also.

I bought some of the multi C9's from Walmart this year and thought they were too dim. They are just an LED mini light covered by a c9 cap.

Most of the LED strings purchased for sale at stores won't hold up in the long run due to corrosion issues (non sealed bulbs). For the brightest, longest lasting C9 bulbs, purchase the sealed "retro" bulbs that are dimmable and contain 5 LEDs in each bulb. They are available from online vendors.

I used LED C9's last year that I bought from HD, every time it rained and froze the caps would pop off and I would have to keep the ladder out, putting them back on. This year I went with C9 LED retro fits that I purchased from Action Lighting. They were great and bright. They had 5 LED's per bulb. Even with the bulbs standing straight up on the roof, they were bright.

I use about 1400 C9s each of four colors on my roof lines. They are all retro fit LEDs from Travis. They work great. I have always pointed them straight up with good effect. Do not know what pointing them straight out or sideways looks like.

I used LED C9's last year that I bought from HD, every time it rained and froze the caps would pop off and I would have to keep the ladder out, putting them back on. This year I went with C9 LED retro fits that I purchased from Action Lighting. They were great and bright. They had 5 LED's per bulb. Even with the bulbs standing straight up on the roof, they were bright.

Sounds more like what I'm looking for as I would want them to last a long time. Why are they called "retro fits"?

They are retro fits because they can be screwed into the C9 stringers that you have now. You replace the incandescent bulbs with the LED bulbs just like you were changing a light bulb.

Ahh.. this is from last year... but maybe it will peak some interest...

how do you guys mount your C9's to your roofline? gutters? I'm trying to figure out a way to speed up the process, next year I'll be putting 1200 LED c9's up there. and that would be a lot of clips and time to get it to look pretty.

Also pictures would be great. Thanks a ton, hope you dont mind old posts being dug out...

-chris

I don't have any pictures yet and I am using C-7 but I am going to try vinyl "J" it 12.5 feet long and will hold 51 bulbs each at 2 15/16 inch spacing.

PMK

They are retro fits because they can be screwed into the C9 stringers that you have now. You replace the incandescent bulbs with the LED bulbs just like you were changing a light bulb.

This is the answer I was searching for. I am a newbie and I was afraid of asking a silly question. I have a bunch of incandescent c9s but they break all the time, I wanted to know if I could buy LED c9s and use it on the existing string. Any suggestions on who I can order these from.

The primary suppliers is Creative Display (Paul) and Magic in the Sky (Jacob). You just missed each of their pre-sales where the provide a great discounted price. Check with Paul, he does provide a discount to PC members (need to confirm)

The primary suppliers is Creative Display (Paul) and Magic in the Sky (Jacob). You just missed each of their pre-sales where the provide a great discounted price. Check with Paul, he does provide a discount to PC members (need to confirm)

Thanks Dave I will check it out....

how do you guys mount your C9's to your roofline? gutters? I'm trying to figure out a way to speed up the process, next year I'll be putting 1200 LED c9's up there. and that would be a lot of clips and time to get it to look pretty.

Also pictures would be great. Thanks a ton, hope you dont mind old posts being dug out...

-chris

This is how I did my "gutter" lights I made and hung these under the the gutters. http://www.bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechWindowFrames.html

-chris

This is an old post of mine about how I did my roof lights Hope it helps

Here's the way I did my house gutters, ridges, hips. I'm not good at working with wood so I used a roll of metal aluminum facia material, cut it to the lengths we needed and bent it in a U shape, the white side of the material went in the gutter and the brown side went on the roof. The top of my U channel I used LEXAN Plastic bent it in a U shape for the cap drilled holes and installed the lights and screwed the Plastic cap to the aluminum bottom U. I just zip tied the finished channels to the gutter as for the roof ridges, I cut 1 1/2 pieces of aluminum straps then screwed three to the bottom piece of aluminum, when on the roof bent the 1 1/2 straps under each side of the roof ridge cap. The facia material is extremely easy to work with, it's also very flexable. We had 40-45 MPH gusts of wind and no problems with them blowing off . With this of channel their is almost no weight to it (A 11' piece weighed 4.5lbs with the lights installed) and the LED lights put off no heat so having them up 2" off the roof helped keep them visible when snow was on the roof. It's lot of work bending and drilling holes the get it ready but the time savings on the install was worth it , we have approx 1000 C9 lights and the previous year it took 2 days using clips to install the lights last year only 3 Hrs and we were done with the roof and gutter. Enclosed are some pics.post-9475-0-60484400-1310925656.jpgpost-9475-0-41662100-1310925716.jpgpost-9475-0-03580100-1310925757.jpgpost-9475-0-51175200-1310925784.jpgpost-9475-0-24751900-1310925814.jpgpost-9475-0-16967600-1310925848.jpgpost-9475-0-21690900-1310925928.jpg

Edited by gmac

Since I have an automatice roof warmer to keep the snow away from the lights, here is how I attach mine to the hips, ridges and valleys on the roof. I use the same clips to attached them to the fascia also. The work great however, storage was a problem since they would all seem to get connected while being stored away

post-7182-0-41171900-1331082980.jpg

The one thing that is not showing in the above picture is there is a #12 wire coming out of each of those legs (approx 8 inches). That connects to a similar light clip that inserts under the shingle and it wraps around the top part of the clip. The legs are spaced about 7-8 ft apart. They hold them pretty secure and have withstood some very strong winds without any movement.