Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
SoonerGurl

Newbie - UPGRADING this thing I called a "display"

I am *so glad* I found PC! I cannot even begin to put into words how much so. I discovered this place doing a google search for some build plans and I HAD to join! Of course I don't think I have left the site very much since then...other than to do my daily routine and sleep. LOL My husband is already growing a bit concerned every time I come to him with "Hey, I was thinking..." ideas. He kind of does that scratches his head, looks down and kind of hits himself of the head thing. I was worried he is coming down with something, maybe brain bugs or something, when I realized, he only does that when I mention new ideas! :rolleyes: Ok, so seriously...I will attach pictures of my poor pitiful lights from this last Christmas, but I am warning everyone right now....it is so very, very sad. You will either cry or you will laugh, or maybe even both if you laugh too much. lol

Christmas 2011 can't get here quick enough...or maybe it can. I have a LOT of things to make and a lot more to learn! As a "newbie", I just want to thank each and every one of you for sharing thoughts, ideas, how-to's, photos, videos and everything else that you do (including this site, Chuck!) for people like me who are totally clueless and who never would have guessed you could make a tree out of a tomato cage. My inner geek is in total heaven :cool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41830[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41829[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41832[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41831[/ATTACH]

Maybe it is just me, but I can't see your pictures.

Welcome to PC though!

What plans do you have for 2011, animated or a bigger static display?

Edited by vipzach

They didn't show up because that is how AWESOME it was! HA!!! Trying this again...it better work! As far as this year...we are building things that move...hoping to incorporate some sequencing but we aren't 100% sure on that just yet. :) And the last picture of the front yard....that's how much space we're working with. My "side" yard is a utility easement, going to maybe construct something to hide those ugly boxes that we won't get into trouble for with city ordinances.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41833[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41835[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41837[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41836[/ATTACH]

Hey, it's a start! The second try worked for the pics.

Your yard appears to be similar in size to mine. My first year (2009) I bought a 16 channel controller and sequences from LOR. Because of my job, only a few things changed this year. Hopefully next year some arches and a mega tree will be added.

Start with a 16 channel controller and just have fun with it! Even if you don't add music, you can make some cool stuff with just animation.

CLEARLY...it was user error...aka BLONDE thing! lol Thanks for the info, I will definitely keep that at the front of my mind (and ideas!) for LOR. :)

Hay I think you did fine! And you gotta start somewhere you know! But seriously, I'd kill to have your roof lines and yard space. I have zero room to do anything big. I just keep adding more lights to the house, on the roof, in the neighbors yard... Next year I'm going on the high roof, weather I fall off or not. Just get some ideas and do it on your own. If you DH is not into the way you are, then be prepared to learn about things you can DIY. (It also helps if you owne a ladder and are not afraid of heights) Take advantage of the 75% off merchandice now while you can for next year. Dream big and you'll be surprised how fast you jump up to the big leagues! Welcome and have fun!

We all gotta start somewhere :)

If you need any help with design or programming or you just want someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to PM me! I can vouch for these guys with full confidence that if you post a help request, you'll get a response in at least 12 hours :).

Just make sure your post-title isn't "help me..."

Try to be more specific on the issue. Like "need help with programming" or something :P

Welcome to the madness. My yard is also a very small, but you will be suprised how much you can fit in there. I think the bigget thing is watch video's of displays and make a journal of what you would like to add to your display. Think long term. I am planning for display elements that I know I won't be able to build for 5 years. Set realistic goals... I read on another forum that the perosn wanted to go from a display of 16 channels and 2500 lights the first year to 300 channels and over a million lights the second year.

Lots of help, and how to's out there, but if you can't find it, someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.

BTW, my spouse also suffers from the "You wanna do what" ailment. :D

Welcome to the madness SoonerGirl; it's obvious that the bug has infected you :) Be warned that there is no known cure. All it takes is a smile from a child enjoying your display and the symptoms will grow. A honk from a passing car, a thank you from a neighbor, or a note of thanks left in your mailbox, all cause the infection to spread.

Your palate (house & yard) are just fine. You'll come up with a masterpiece. As said above, there are lots of sources available to help, just ask.

Joe

Well welcome to the Newbies club I also found this place on a google search and haven't left yet. Well almost there are still things like work and sleep but i've managed to slip time in during work. my plan is to go LOR by next year. My spouse thinks i'm nuts last night i had to run to lowes and buy more lights after buying 19,000 lights already this year. Hay i was afraid i would run out before getting everthing done.

Welcome Karen. I hope you find as much fun in planning, programming, and finally, having your first show as I did this year. No need to go huge your first year. Try a 16 channel controller. Get one early in the year (LOR sale) and play with it. You'll be amazed with what you can come up with. Oh, and don't hesitate to ask questions. The members here are incredibly helpful!

You already have a Mega Tree in the front yard! One that requires no set up or take down :P

Easy roof line to work with as well...I think you can do wonders with it. For the bare spots you can slap some mini trees and OR arches. Endless possibilities

Welcome to the board, and this wonderful "hobby". we all gotta start somewhere. This was my second year being animated and I learned even more... next year planning to double what I did this year and go to 64 channels. Start small, plan plan plan, and keep it fun for yourself.