C6 Blue CDI strings repairs/info required

Well this year I had 6 strings of C6 50ct blue LEDs fail either completely or 1/2 a string. They were 2009 strings, so got 2 years out of them.

I was able make 2 good strings out of 4 ,1/2 good ones. Now after doing so, i noticed that these strings all have 3 blobs each. Front/middle /end. 3 wires, 2 of which pass AC thru to female end for end to end connections. The center wire attaches to the closest LED in the line.

I made a attempt to tear apart the middle blob. I was able to see 3 resistors and a diode, but was not able disect it

enoungh to determine the hook up, or if I damaged any other components in the process.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on how best to repair the remaining partial strings, and why is there 3 blobs.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why a 50 count string would be broken into 3 sections. If all else fails, you can build your own full wave bridge circuit and cut out the "blobs".

Well this year I had 6 strings of C6 50ct blue LEDs fail either completely or 1/2 a string. They were 2009 strings, so got 2 years out of them.

I was able make 2 good strings out of 4 ,1/2 good ones. Now after doing so, i noticed that these strings all have 3 blobs each. Front/middle /end. 3 wires, 2 of which pass AC thru to female end for end to end connections. The center wire attaches to the closest LED in the line.

I made a attempt to tear apart the middle blob. I was able to see 3 resistors and a diode, but was not able disect it

enoungh to determine the hook up, or if I damaged any other components in the process.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on how best to repair the remaining partial strings, and why is there 3 blobs.

Thanks in advance.

Me too, I dont know why there is 3 blobs in the strings. Unless it is jsut a termination point for the wiring in the middle. Building full wave rect's is my plan when I get time.......not real high on the list at the moment, but something to experiment on.

Me too, I dont know why there is 3 blobs in the strings. Unless it is just a termination point for the wiring in the middle. Building full wave rect's is my plan when I get time.......not real high on the list at the moment, but something to experiment on.

A string of 50 count Green, Blue, White LED's will actually be 2 strings of 25 LED's. Each string has to have a full wave bridge circuit to make it a work full wave. So each blob has 1/2 of the full wave bridge and the middle blog both strings share the 2 diodes to make the bridge.

Have made many myself just like it, also there might be 1 or 2 resistors on each 25 light string to limit the current to around 17-20 ma per string.

Edited by Dennis Cherry

A string of 50 count Green, Blue, White LED's will actually be 2 strings of 25 LED's. Each string has to have a full wave bridge circuit to make it a work full wave. So each blob has 1/2 of the full wave bridge and the middle blog both strings share the 2 diodes to make the bridge.

Have made many myself just like it, also there might be 1 or 2 resistors on each 25 light string to limit the current to around 17-20 ma per string.

Thanks for the reply Dennis, I knew a full wave bridge was needed, but the 3rd blob threw me for a loop. Do u have any details on the rebuilds.

Thanks again, Richard