What's up with these RGB based LEDs???

Guys, David has done a great job trying to inject a ton of knowledge into this and other DMX/RGB threads. Here is something just posted today that you should also peruse at your leisure.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=25741&forum_id=75&jump_to=234475#p234475

Jim St. John provided this alternate link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kS5UGXYoc85QVdPiJfxRqpg7cZpuU3gIULq6Q6EKniA/edit?hl=en&pli=1#

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people have used the LOR DC controllers to say control some rainbow (RGB) floods. Currently, that diagram from fasteddy is the most useful and easy to understand diagram of how things work together I have come across. However, I'd like to see a variant of that which shows the various options for LOR users and possible bridges between the LOR and DIY worlds (via. DMX), such as using an LOR DC board.

THe last post by zman was very helpful in understanding the differences between the LOR vs. DMX protocols. DMX and RGB are likely going to catch fire in the coming years and I see software (as already mentioned) as another major hurdle in the advent of RGB., but it appears the LIghtShowPro is far ahead in that area ... since it appears I could buy that software today and then control both LOR and DIY boards at the same time. THe ability to connect to say LOR network and the EtherCOn DMX gateway ... could be key for some. I download the free trial last night, but haven't used it much yet.

All these areas - hardware, software, interfaces, protocols, controllers, etc are all interrelated. So it's not possible to think about one without the others. I finishing up the last of a 10 page outline that will serve as a basis for a video series that shows all this hardware and explains what will and will not work together. It's a lot of information but it's important to understand the details before you plow a lot of cash into a given solution.

I just finished up the outline, which itself is 12 pages. Every effort was made to include up to date information from all vendors so that you have a clear idea of what options there are on the market now for pixels and RGB devices. It is being reviewed by vendors and people smarter than myself for errors and if all goes well, the first video should be released this Saturday.

Neat thread, took me a while to find it though.... I am attaching a link to a google docs file that is the operating manual for my own pixel controller board. Although the bulk of the info is particular to this specific controller, there is a fair amount of general info there also as far as how everything connects together to make a complete system.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H_IfSZd4CflxlUXN8q0vdM9BTSfgaJyGwjz6sZABwfs/edit?hl=en#

Comments/suggestions, as far as the document or the controller itself, are welcome. I used 3 of these controllers this year to control 40 50-pixel strings arranged in a matrix. Here's a link to a video I made of that display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia5rvd9202g

It's not particularly "Christmas-like", mostly trying out various software effects. But it does some ideas as to what's possible to do with a "wall" of pixels. Actually, for this video, only 32 strings were in place, so 1600 pixels.

-jim-

post-1218-0-41801900-1296192485_thumb.jp

I like the rbg look just confusing when you're first putting your toe in the water. Question do the rbg strings have their own controller?
Yes, this was a DIY project as far as the RGB. The controller was my own design, it uses DMX, but a type of DMX which is carried over ethernet. Each controller board gets 4 universes of dmx dimmer data, or 2048 channels per controller. That works out to about 680 pixels per controller. Because I was using 50-pixel strings, I had one controller per 12 strings, or 4 controllers in total.

Attached is a picture of one of my controllers with a 300W 5V power supply in an enclosure. I had my controllers split into 3 enclosures, each driving 12 to 16 strings. One box also had a small 5-port ethernet switch, 4 ethernet cables to the 4 controllers, and the 5th one into the house where it plugged into my lan.

Wiring was really simple. One power cord powered everything, then one ethernet cord into the house.

Dealing with that many channels in software is another matter!!!

-jim-

• 1 year later...

post-1218-0-41801900-1296192485_thumb.jp Yes, this was a DIY project as far as the RGB. The controller was my own design, it uses DMX, but a type of DMX which is carried over ethernet. Each controller board gets 4 universes of dmx dimmer data, or 2048 channels per controller. That works out to about 680 pixels per controller. Because I was using 50-pixel strings, I had one controller per 12 strings, or 4 controllers in total.

Attached is a picture of one of my controllers with a 300W 5V power supply in an enclosure. I had my controllers split into 3 enclosures, each driving 12 to 16 strings. One box also had a small 5-port ethernet switch, 4 ethernet cables to the 4 controllers, and the 5th one into the house where it plugged into my lan.

Wiring was really simple. One power cord powered everything, then one ethernet cord into the house.

Dealing with that many channels in software is another matter!!!

-jim-

Hi Jim; i am developing a tool to help with the software for RGB devices. The thread is

The tool is and will be free. It is going to support LSP, Vixen and LOR.

Here are some of the effects so far for RGB megatrees

SPIRALS

r_s6_t1_3232_cw.gif

s2_t1_3232_barber_150ms.gif

TEXT

text_dual_t1_3232_50ms.gif

FALLING STARS

fallStars_t1_3232_120ms.gif

PICTURE

picture_black_100ms.gif

thanks