Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Traneman

Street lights

In December my wife showed me a video of dancing Christmas Lights,,,,I got hooked right then.

I have been working on my display for next year, renard SS boards,mega and mini tress and a few others.

Then last night I realized I have a bright street light right across the street from me.

In looking at it and my house it does get fairly dark but not black. Iam sure outlines

of my display will be seen.

I realized also my only chance would be to go to the city and see if they could turn it off for the month of December.

My question is 2 fold.....

Has anyone ever delt with a City concerning street lights and if so how did it turn out.

( I was thinking maybe I could pay them to install a timer)

Last question is would the street light totally distroy my light show or not.

Kinda bummed out but hopefully I can get it resolved.

P.S.

Shooting a firearm in the City limits is against the law here.:)

I also have a street light right in front of the display. It's not the end of the world and to be honest with you I wouldn't want to deal with the liability of turning it off. Just have to add more lights. There are some suggestions about requesting something be done if the light shines in your children's window but I haven't tried that one yet.

Back a few years ago I remember some posts/discussion about street lights; from what I remember, you generally need to accept the fact and 'incorporate' it into your display. Another option (not the most legal) is to put like a c7 bulb on the photoelectric switch on the top of the light. Then when the display starts -- flip it on and it will trigger the streetlight into thinking that it's daytime.

Edit: I was searching a post from back in 2006 and found this. (check the entire 7 page post for more thoughts). Also, try doing a search for street lights -- this comes up quite a bit.

Definitely not the end of the world... Here's my 2009 display...

It was my 2nd year with both the camere and LOR. This year I've learned better photography. But, none the less, the street lights really doesn't affect it. Yea, I'm not happy that the light is there, but it's really no big deal.

Bottome line, the visitors don't notice the light is on, they are paying more attention the the lights on my house ;)

Dont even worry about it. While video taping my third year I was waiting for LOR to loop and restart before I realized there was a street light in my yard.

With even a moderate amount of lights they will be easily seen.

It sounds like it won't be that big of an issue, but I saw a post here before that said they called the city and the city put a screen around the part of the light facing their house.

You can ask the city, but they will probably give you a "we don't want to be sued" runaround.

You can put the aforementioned c-7 to kill the switch, but you will have to have a lift or bucket truck to do so safely. If you know somebody that will lend you one - great. Otherwise, plan on spending $$$ for a few hours use.

Or you can live with it.

I have one in my front yard. One year, when I was putting lights up in the trees next to it, I looked at it and observed the photo switch was broken. So I called the power company to repair it. By the time they got there, it had been days and I could not persuade the serviceman to install my kill bulbs because of the liability. The next year, I put it up (bucket truck rental) and the neighbors all thought the street was too dark. So I took it down.

I have learned to live with it. In videos, it looks like a full moon.

I ave a street light also. It does not bother the display at all.

It show one the street, just what it is designed to do, not my house.

You don't even notice it.

Thanks for all the replies.......I won't worry about it anymore and continue with my build.

Should be getting my Renard boards tomarrow fun fun,,,,,,,,

Thanks everyone.

I was worried about the street light directly in front of my house as well this year.

By the time I turned my lights on, i realized that the light was shutting itself off every time my lights came on. So I "inadvertently" took care of the problem without even realizing it :)

Just put a lot of lights up and you should be fine :D

I re-wired mine so when I open the access cover, there is a light switch now. So I just have to go in, flip off the switch at the start of the season and then again on at the end of the season. Works great!

Newer street lights are designed to direct the light to the street. They have patterns like lawn sprinklers so they will throw little light toward lawns and more towards the street. Stand in the street and look up then walk down the street and look again, it will still be bright. Now go stand on the sidewalk and look at it and you will see much less light.

I have seen some displays with shields blocing the light in that dirction but they seem to be more of a luxury than a necessity.

I was worried about the street light directly in front of my house as well this year.

By the time I turned my lights on, i realized that the light was shutting itself off every time my lights came on. So I "inadvertently" took care of the problem without even realizing it :)

Just put a lot of lights up and you should be fine :D

Dang, that's a lot of lights.

For general knowledge, the little blue or gray bump on top of the street light is the photocell. It's supposed to be pointed about North and if some light shines on it for a few minutes, it'll turn the light off. I'm just sayin.

My street light has been out every year I've done the show (last 3 years). And I noticed that in January 2011 ... it suddenly came back on this year after the show was over. I kind of hope the town is working with me somehow, because the light is always off in December somehow.

Dang, that's a lot of lights.

For general knowledge, the little blue or gray bump on top of the street light is the photocell. It's supposed to be pointed about North and if some light shines on it for a few minutes, it'll turn the light off. I'm just sayin.

Based on what happened this year, I started to think what i can do for next year that would be a more "permanent" fix.

I used a pin spotlight (used for mirror balls, etc) from Radio Shack and pointed it towards the photocell, and instantly the light went out.

Try that and see if it will work.

Here's one online

http://www.hollywooddj.com/eliminatormodele106.html

I thought about puting a Laser Pointer on a tri pod and point it at the photo cell on the top each night for a few hrs.lol

I thought about puting a Laser Pointer on a tri pod and point it at the photo cell on the top each night for a few hrs.lol

I tried that, but I didn't really get it to work. But I tried it with the pinspot and it went out in instantly :)

I did a commercial job back in 2008-09 and there was a streetlamp in the way too.

I talked to the city and they basically said there was absolutely no way I could get it shut down.

It's a safety issue really. I even wanted it to just shut down for 15 minutes, 3 times per evening.

No way are they going to shut it down for the whole month.

My Street Light Problem Solved -

I also have a street light in front of my house and the city (lawyer) also said no to turning it off, I did experiment last year with a laser pen and I was able to turn off the light but a pen laser is a mounting and power control amount of work.  This year I did some digging online and found a "laser module" with a mounting bracket that plugs into 120v so I can control it with one of my LOR controller boards (or you can just use a simple timer).  I just test mounted it under my second story roof eaves in a small upside down plastic storage box painted black with a hole in one end for the laser beam to come out to keep it dry and hide it.  It works great.  This year, when my show starts, I'll have the laser turn on to turn off the street light then turn off at the end of the night to let it turn itself back on.  My problem solved.  :) 

I got the laser "module" on ebay and it's a low wattage blue type color beam at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141041924356?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

enjoy

laser_with_mounting_bracket.jpg

Geez, seems like a lot of work to get a street light turned off. Is it really worth it. Do these street lights really affect your display that much? I would think the city would get upset if they found out you were turning off street lights. What if a neighbor reports a street light being out?

Geez, seems like a lot of work to get a street light turned off. Is it really worth it. Do these street lights really affect your display that much? I would think the city would get upset if they found out you were turning off street lights. What if a neighbor reports a street light being out?

What if there's an accident and somebody blames you? Would your insurance cover it? We live in a litigious society and people will lawyer up for a dollar.

/not you, literally, but those that feel compelled to get a light turned off.

Frankly I'm all for it :)

Street lights go out all the time! He's just helping it along a bit.

I remember my church used to put a trashcan on the street lamp (since they couldn't shut them off) whenever they wanted to have an outdoor movie night. I'm lucky enough to have complete control of my lights since I'm on a 2 acre property BUT there are times I wish my city would have lights that were triggered by darkness instead of a timer so I could play with them :P

JerryK you must not have a street light in front of your house that lights up your yard so when your Christmas display lights blink off, the light structures are still visible in the light of the street lamp - very frustrating especially after you put in a lot of work to build all the items of your display, paint them black to hide them and people can always see them because of that darn street light.  

Making this laser light box was one of the simpler things I've built for my display so it's a real plus for the display.

When the light is out, my Christmas display lights up the street so no problems there and my neighbors are a fan of my house and I'm working to blink my neighbors around me.  I agree with JHolmes, street lights due burn out on their own and it takes a while for Edison to get out and fix them.  Also if my house was down the street where there is no street light, the conditions would be the same as my house now with the street light made to turn off while the lights are blinking to the music.