OKC Area Mini-PLUS 2011

Please Help Us Select a Date for the Mini-PLUS  

1. 1. Please Help Us Select a Date for the Mini-PLUS

• Saturday, 9 April 2011
    • Saturday, 16 April 2011
    • Other Date (Please post your preference below)

The Christmas decorations are put away. The yard looks barren. All the hard work is finally over.

Now it is time to start planning for next season!!

I would like to announce our 6th annual central Oklahoma Mini Plus.

As with the last few years I will be co-hosting this with Tom (aka Santas Helper) at my house in Norman.

Date: TBD (please vote on the proposed dates above)

Location: 1103 Little River Rd, Norman (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1103+Little+River+Rd,+Norman,+OK+73071&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.767874,106.787109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1103+Little+River+Rd,+Norman,+Cleveland,+Oklahoma+73071&ll=35.269468,-97.424985&spn=0.001318,0.003259&t=h&z=19)

Time: 1:00 pm until ???

Admission: Free as always

Open to all PC members and families!!! Newbies and Oldies.

We plan to continue the same free style, free form get together that has worked very well for us in the past. However, last year we tried something a little different. I gave a semi-formal presentation on mega-trees. We would like to try and continue this new tradition this year. I will be giving a presentation on my custom DIY Helix Light Controller. It would be great if we could get a couple of people to provide similar presentations also. (Personally I would like to see a presentation on how to build a tuned dipole FM antenna.)

There are several other topics that are possibilities for presentations such as:

1) Leaping Arches

2) Mini Trees

3) Sequencing

4) Anything you would like to present

If you would be willing to give a presentation please let me know. There will be an overhead projector connected to a computer for any presentations or videos.

The day of the Mini I will post a schedule of presentations so you can sit in on any of them you would like and hang out the rest of the time.

We will be providing a meat tray and other finger food so we can eat/munch at our own pace and spend more time on the fun stuff.

The only thing we ask, is for you to bring your thoughts, ideas and especially your humor.

If you are thinking, planning or have started on a project and want to ask/show/share, please do so!!!

There will be swap/trade/sale of items so bring those too.

Tom and I will provide updates with hotel info, maps and other events going on in the area during the Mini for family members not interested in the Mini and looking for something else to do.

Please stay tuned for updates.

Reminder: Your inputs are strongly recommended and appreciated.

If you have any questions, please post them here or PM me at GMBartlett or Tom at Santas Helper.

Questions.... I live in Arizona and drive across the southwest. If I am in the area, do you mind if I attend? Is there room near your home to park a Tractor-Trailer? If not, is there a Wal-Mart Supercenter close to your home? Would someone be willing to give me a ride to and from your home for the event? Thanks in advance!

Questions.... I live in Arizona and drive across the southwest. If I am in the area, do you mind if I attend? Is there room near your home to park a Tractor-Trailer? If not, is there a Wal-Mart Supercenter close to your home? Would someone be willing to give me a ride to and from your home for the event? Thanks in advance!

Hi Larry,

You would absolutely be welcome! I live on two acres and if the ground is dry we might be able to back a tractor-trailer in next to the house. However, there is a Wal-Mart Supercenter about 3 miles down the road from me. I'm sure we could get you a ride.

Hi Larry,

You would absolutely be welcome! I live on two acres and if the ground is dry we might be able to back a tractor-trailer in next to the house. However, there is a Wal-Mart Supercenter about 3 miles down the road from me. I'm sure we could get you a ride.

Awesome! When we get closer to the date, I'll contact you and work out the details. I deliver Dollar General out of Ardmore, so I'm always in the area.

Annalisa,

Good to hear from ya again and hope you can make the mini. It's always great to see you and your LED projects. And I hope to see the hubby again even if it's just for a short bit. He's a fun guy.

Larry, sorry to hear what happened over the weekend in Arizona and know justice will be served. As Greg mentioned, we WILL get you there if you find a place close to park (if not at Greg's house). This event is open to anybody and everybody (and their partner/family).

But lastly, Greg and Maggie, thank you for inviting the OKC Mini back into your home once again. It's always a pleasure to visit with you both and the kids. And your beautiful home has plenty of space to have a mini. The counter top can hold lots of munchies too :)

Folks, even though the season just ended, I know lots are planning for the next season. That is only 9 or 10 months away from setting up. We all learn from these events so please bring your projects, your knowledge, your thoughts, your ideas or just bring your curiousity.

You have items to swap/sell? Bring em. You have something new to offer? Bring it.

But as Greg mentioned, bring your humor. It's a fun time.

There is no such thing as a stranger at the OKC Mini.

I want to add... if anyone is up for an evening prior to (Pre-Mini), I will put together a place to meet, visit and maybe have a couple cold ones. So folks from out of town that want to make the trip just a little early, lets get together!!! We've done it before and it's been a blast.

I look forward to seeing everyone there and meeting new folks.

Okay....... it's time to PLAY............ :)

The wife and I will be there. I may even be able to come up with a little hot BBQ this time. Perhaps some chopped beef and pulled pork.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Jay

Jay, sounds great to me. We love BBQ!!! :)

And look forward to seeing you and the wife as well.

What about some baked goodies? Cinnamon rolls, Turnovers, Cookies and Rolls? Last year was my first ever

mini with you guys. It was like show-and-tell all day long. I had a blast! I intend for the "OKC Area Mini Plus 2011"

to be my second! Count me in please.

Ron

Baker of Goodies

Ah yes, we can't forget the sweet treats to top off some great BBQ. Those treats kicked booty last year. By all means bring em....

And the all day show-n-tell is what I like best. No schedule to keep, just bounce around to what you're interested in. Nobody, that I saw, had a problem showing their stuff more than once.

Probably after a date gets set, we need to find out what display items would people like to see this year such as coroplast, arches, floods, RGB SmartStrings just for example. That way no need to bring items that everyone has seen before unless we have some 1st timers attending this year.

Probably after a date gets set, we need to find out what display items would people like to see this year such as coroplast, arches, floods, RGB SmartStrings just for example. That way no need to bring items that everyone has seen before unless we have some 1st timers attending this year.

Keith,

I agree. One thing I want to see is DMX thru LOR. I haven't had the desire in the past but now looking at this as an option for this season. I used the LOR-LED boards this year and LOVED em. If anyone is interested, I can bring the boards and LEDs to show-n-tell.

• 4 weeks later...

Im getting together regular dmx through xlr cable if people is interested in that. A professional controller and a 7 channel laser projector and home made 12 channel controller that operates by dmx i am gonna try to put together.As for lor controlling dmx, you can control reguler dmx through a different device that puts it thrrough xlr cable instead. Dmx through xlr rally only needs two wires to run 512 channels.And this year if you look at my videos, im using a different controllers i made for the lights, it got rid of the flashy color organ look that i used to have.

Edited by holland lights

Based upon the results of this poll and the one on DIYC I've decided to host the OKC Area Mini on 16 April 2011. We will officially start at 1:00 pm but if anyone would like to come early you will be welcome. I would appreciate the help setting up/preparing.

I'm still looking for people willing to give a short semi-formal presentation. Ideally it would include a demo of how to build or setup something but anything would be great. If you would be willing to do this please let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone again. Just over two months to go.

Greg

Based upon the results of this poll and the one on DIYC I've decided to host the OKC Area Mini on 16 April 2011. We will officially start at 1:00 pm but if anyone would like to come early you will be welcome. I would appreciate the help setting up/preparing.

I'm still looking for people willing to give a short semi-formal presentation. Ideally it would include a demo of how to build or setup something but anything would be great. If you would be willing to do this please let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone again. Just over two months to go.

Greg

Greg,

If anyone is interested I have a simple, inexpensive and very easy way to build smaller mega trees (around 10 feet), I would be happy to demonstrate. Additionally, I have come up with a pretty secure method of placing controllers around the yard which I could go over. I would probably only need 10-15 minutes on each topic.

I also still have a commercial DMX dongle and dimmers that I use in my show. These items use the XLR type cables mentioned above, I could bring them and a set of homemade XLR to CAT5 adapter cables if anyone would like.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Jay

Greg,

If anyone is interested I have a simple, inexpensive and very easy way to build smaller mega trees (around 10 feet), I would be happy to demonstrate. Additionally, I have come up with a pretty secure method of placing controllers around the yard which I could go over. I would probably only need 10-15 minutes on each topic.

I also still have a commercial DMX dongle and dimmers that I use in my show. These items use the XLR type cables mentioned above, I could bring them and a set of homemade XLR to CAT5 adapter cables if anyone would like.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Jay

yea im puting together 5 adapters for 3 pin xlr to lor cat5,5 pin xlr to lor cat 5, lor to lynx, 3 pin xlr to lynx, 5 pin xlr to lynx. Im also puting together a microsoft power point presentation on dmx.

yea im puting together 5 adapters for 3 pin xlr to lor cat5,5 pin xlr to lor cat 5, lor to lynx, 3 pin xlr to lynx, 5 pin xlr to lynx. Im also puting together a microsoft power point presentation on dmx.

I have both a female 3 pin XLR to lynx adapter and a male 3 pin XLR to Lynx adapter. I will be sure to bring them along.

Hey Greg,

Mike Bethel from Jenks here and I will plan on attending. Still a relative newbie (2nd Christmas completed) and I have moved from 16 to 32 channels this past Christmas and am planning on adding another 32 this year, so I am looking forward to everyones expertise and experience.

See you on the 16th!

• 3 weeks later...

Based upon the results of this poll and the one on DIYC I've decided to host the OKC Area Mini on 16 April 2011. We will officially start at 1:00 pm but if anyone would like to come early you will be welcome.

Greg

Hi,

I am a newbie with one season under my belt. I only started out with 16 channels to see if this was something I really wanted to do. Well, what can I say, I've been bitten by the bug...I want more!! I want to learn more! Heard about your mini over at the LOR forums. I would love to come out to your mini. Is there a registration or RSVP or something?

Thanks,

MikeH

Hi,

I am a newbie with one season under my belt. I only started out with 16 channels to see if this was something I really wanted to do. Well, what can I say, I've been bitten by the bug...I want more!! I want to learn more! Heard about your mini over at the LOR forums. I would love to come out to your mini. Is there a registration or RSVP or something?

Thanks,

MikeH

Hi MikeH

You are certainly welcome to attend. I don't have any formal registration or RSVP process. Posting here is good enough.

I will be providing further updates in the next few days. So stay tuned to this forum.

I look forward to meeting you,

Greg

Hi,

Thanks,

MikeH

Welcome I am the one who mentioned it on the LOR forum. I live just west of you in Yukon. Might be a good idea to post about the mini on other forums. I just assume most people are members here also and already know about it.