ROPE LIGHTS!!! Are they all junk?????

I added rope lights to my display this year,2 different vendors, but with similar results. I had sections to go out on 2 different brands.My question;ARE THEY ALL JUNK???? Or is this just an isolated incident? Haven't had experience with them to know. Please CHIME IN!!! Cliff

Ive used rope lights before... I do recall 2 ropes failed on me, but they were cheap ones from Canadian Tire about 8 years ago. I also found that pretty much all incandescent rope lights will dim severely on me over time... enough that i just tossed mine out. This year I am going to buy some rolls of LED rope lights from CDI in their pre-sale.

I wrapped 2 1/2" pipe with 600' of 5/8" rope light from 1000bulbs.com this year with no failures at all. I have experienced failures with cheap rope light I have purchased from ebay, so decided to go with a reputible supplier. I also do all my wrapping when the temperature is about 90*, and I have turned the rope lights on for at least 15 minutes. Seems to work for me. I keep them turned on while wrapping, also.

John Pfeiffer

I wrapped 2 1/2" pipe with 600' of 5/8" rope light from 1000bulbs.com this year with no failures at all. I have experienced failures with cheap rope light I have purchased from ebay, so decided to go with a reputible supplier. I also do all my wrapping when the temperature is about 90*, and I have turned the rope lights on for at least 15 minutes. Seems to work for me. I keep them turned on while wrapping, also.

John Pfeiffer

That's good to know. One of the rolls i bought was from ebay,but 2 of the other rolls were from a vendor from PC. Anyone else using rope lights???

I have used over 2100' of rope light from Mengmengusa

I had some red incand. rope light that hung on frames in my garage that got faded by the sunlight shining on them. I replaced them with Red LED rope light.

Also the green incand. I got from them actually looked blue at night when it was lite. I replaced the green with LED rope light.

I have gotten over 900' of LED rope light from them and have not had any of it fail. In the two years I used them.

I have used up to 300' of clear rope light around our campsite while camping. Never had any problems with it except for the time it was used as a clothes line for wet towels.

Edited by roberson3

I have over 2000 feet of rope light in my display, some incandescent, some LED, from several vendors. Have had no trouble with any except the incandescent from Walmart. Have the same trouble with Walmart 20 count incandescent and Walmart LED's These don't even last one full season, so have stopped even buying in the after Christmas sales for lights at Walmart. Just not worth the trouble. Truth is, you get what you pay for, at least in this instance.

I have used over 2100' of rope light from Mengmengusa

I had some red incand. rope light that hung on frames in my garage that got faded by the sunlight shining on them. I replaced them with Red LED rope light.

Also the green incand. I got from them actually looked blue at night when it was lite. I replaced the green with LED rope light.

I have gotten over 900' of LED rope light from them and have not had any of it fail. In the two years I used them.

I have used up to 300' of clear rope light around our campsite while camping. Never had any problems with it except for the time it was used as a clothes line for wet towels.

I knew that vendor sounded familiar,i've seen them on ebay. Although their pricing is a little cheaper thru their website.Are you using their LED rope lights exclusively or are you using incadecentalso? Cliff

Mengmengusa is the vendor which sold me the rope lights which failed. Not sure if I wound them improperly or not. Had rope light failures from them also on a tree topper.

I don't know if i will use them again next year or not. When you have rope lights outlining your roof,it's a pain to go up on the roof and cut the bad section out and splice in a new section. Any thoughts??

Most of the ropelight I use has come from a variety of local sources over the last 5 or so years. Only had failures on 4 of the 18 foot ones I had. The Walmart ones are still working. I've recently had some issues with some of my ropelight frames, many of which are over 5 years old. I have also had good luck with Chauvet's ropelight, however they no longer make it. Used over 150' of it for a high school production where it was mounted onto much of the set. It had held up well during my time there, but don't know what has become of it since I graduated.

Will Sanders

Valerie has both incandescent and LED rope light, used both no problems. Action also has both, haven't ued their LED but no problems with the incandescent. I haven't had problems with the incandescent rope light from the ebay vendor but their LED ropelight only lasted a season and a half. I won't purchase LED rope light from them, even if it's cheaper. CDI has excellent pricing on their LED rope light during his pre order. Bottom line for me, Valerie, Action and CDI will be getting my business.

Marilyn

Valerie has both incandescent and LED rope light, used both no problems. Action also has both, haven't ued their LED but no problems with the incandescent. I haven't had problems with the incandescent rope light from the ebay vendor but their LED ropelight only lasted a season and a half. I won't purchase LED rope light from them, even if it's cheaper. CDI has excellent pricing on their LED rope light during his pre order. Bottom line for me, Valerie, Action and CDI will be getting my business.

Marilyn

Okay, i know Action lighting and CDI,but who is valerie???