Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
dmagelssen

Your obsession with lights --Whats your story?

I want to share a little something about my
obsession
with Christmas Lights. It all started when I was 13 years old and we lived in Shelton,I had a Seattle P.I. morning paper route with 60 or so customers, the Christmas papers were like 3 inches thick with sale flyers so one of my friends helped me with the route and the man that delevered the huge 14
"HUGE"
bundles of papers at 1 A.M. loaned me another paper bag for my friend to use. so we hustled and got all the papers delivered by 4 A.M. thats when me and my friend got into some
mischief
and started to steal christmas lights from yards(why we were doing that I still to this day am not sure why) -----we had 2 paper bags stuffed with lights (front pouch and back pouch hold a lot!) when we got caught by the cops the next day. we had been bragging to our friends about what we did and someone told thier dad .
BIG TROUBLE
----we had to go door to door and tell the people how sorry we were about what we had done ------we got 1/2 way done and were out of lights to return to all the victims of our terrible crime, as people were taking more lights from the big boxes of lights than we took from there yards and so my dad had the rest of the victims of this terrible crime write down what they had lost and I had to buy like $250.00 + lights to replace the rest and I got fired from my route and was grounded for 6 months. The route manager put me to work in his garage stuffing flyers in sunday papers. so I learned my lesson big time
---so if you or your neighbors are missing lights it might be the paper boy---------
:)

Edited by dmagelssen

I want to share a little something about my
obsession
with Christmas Lights. It all started when I was 13 years old and we lived in Shelton,I had a Seattle P.I. morning paper route with 60 or so customers, the Christmas papers were like 3 inches thick with sale flyers so one of my friends helped me with the route and the man that delevered the huge 14
"HUGE"
bundles of papers at 1 A.M. loaned me another paper bag for my friend to use. so we hustled and got all the papers delivered by 4 A.M. thats when me and my friend got into some
mischief
and started to steal christmas lights from yards(why we were doing that I still to this day am not sure why) -----we had 2 paper bags stuffed with lights (front pouch and back pouch hold a lot!) when we got caught by the cops the next day. we had been bragging to our friends about what we did and someone told thier dad .
BIG TROUBLE
----we had to go door to door and tell the people how sorry we were about what we had done ------we got 1/2 way done and were out of lights to return to all the victims of our terrible crime, as people were taking more lights from the big boxes of lights than we took from there yards and so my dad had the rest of the victims of this terrible crime write down what they had lost and I had to buy like $250.00 + lights to replace the rest and I got fired from my route and was grounded for 6 months. The route manager put me to work in his garage stuffing flyers in sunday papers. so I learned my lesson big time
---so if you or your neighbors are missing lights it might be the paper boy---------
:)

I threw papers for five years never stole anything my Dad would have skinned me. Thanks for sharing bought back a lot of early morning memories, like the day after Thanksgiving paper!!!!:mad: Now papers are thrown from a car, miss having my paper on the porch. I walked a mile to our local Western Auto with my coupon and bought a sting of c-9's with my paper route money. My Dad and I hung them around the front door, we had the only lights on the block. :)I was hooked from that moment on.:)

Edited by Mark The Snowman

My obsession started at age 5. My grandparents and I drove around our town very often looking at lights. They always let me pick where we went. I would say turn here, there etc and my grandad would drive. It didn't take long of this doing this until we had lights at my grandparents house. My house (right next door) always had lights but i wasn't involved. My grandad made sure I was involved in putting up lights. The displays grew year by year. I remember when we added icicle lights. I remember the year i spent my long saved money on a 30 dollar spiral tree for my house. We also added the most pitiful megtree ever. (6 feet tall with 4 strands of lights lol). My grandfather passed away in 2002. Since then my addiction has skyrocketed. I now have 55,000 lights and 96 channels of LOR and planning to add more LOR next year.

Aside from that I also put on a fourth of july show with my 9x15 foot flag handmade by me and that show is fast approaching 15,000 lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9vS2s6tWk

I was in town (Anacortes Wa.) getting my wife some sweet n sour soup at our local chinese restraunt and I said to the cashier "did ya see my lights " and he said were yours the ones out on hi way 20 ----------o ya ---thats all I said and he hit on my place. wow cool we even got a card from some people we don't know thanking us for the best display in the area ---this is my 1st year light o rama

Mine started when when I was 12. Mom when to Ben Franklin and bought 6 boxes of mini lights. I wrapped them around the 2 windows, front door, and then around the banister. The next year she got 4 boxes of clear minis and a live tree for on the porch. I guess it was like 1988 when the famous Chasing Lights became afordable and we wrapped them around the porch outline. I don't remember what happened during my late teen years, but I moved out on my own after college when I was 23. I rented an apartment and had taken my artificial tree with me. I made it look nice and at the time, my girlfriend helped out. I got a few transfers here and there, and ended up in Cincinnati, OH where I bought a home. I remember decorating the tree and the living room. I just had no desire to do the outside. It was when I got a promotion and moved back to PA and bought a house in Leechburg. The first year my neighbor said, "are you going to put any lights up?" I said maybe... And so I went through my collection that I'd saved over the years. I found some icicle lights and put them up along with some C9's on ground stakes. Worked out pretty well. I had aquired some reindeer to along with a box or 2 of candy cains. I don't know, maybe 1500 lights. I thought that was a lot lol. Each year, I get bigger now, as my neighbor does too (but not near as big as I got).

...And to think that next year, I'll have 40,000 or more??? Really??? I'm a sick man lol :P

Thanks for sharing Clyde

This was my first year LOR and it was a lot of work ---I thought that 1500 feet of spt 1 18 wire was enough but I had to get another 1000 feet to get it done and my "whole house CRAP transmiter" was a problem --I had to run about 150 feet of wire to get it out right next to the road for a whopping 100 feet of range so i am on the search for a transmiter with a lot of power does any one have any sugestions ? a few miles would be nice. my sound system in the house is 4500 watts and I like the POWER I set out some speakers outside on Christmas eve and day and they could hear my 20 songs with there windows rolled up a 1/2 mile away ---------Ha Ha -------------DID YOU SEE MY U-TUBE VIDEO ?

You might want to look a the Ramsey 30B and then add a 5/8 tunable fm antenna and for grins their power booster amplifier, you'll go out at least a mile and under certain weather conditions 3 miles.......thats been my experience. Went to see your video on U tube but your link didn't work

Mine really started about 5 years ago doing just static. I bought an inflatable for the yard. Well then the next year after Christmas I bought a few more and so on. I would up with 23 inflatables 15,000 lights and two lights and sounds of music. Then My brother sent me a web site with an animated lights show and the inflatables hit ebay and LOR was the new hobby this year. 64 channels 22,500 lights. Next year I will have 160 channels running Renard's. Lots of work to do in the off season. I will probably have around 50,000 lights next year and will it stop here? Who knows.

I started putting up lights the first year after I got out of the Army, about 15 strings of lights. We never had any outdoor lights when I was growing up so was never really exposed to the lighting bug. The first Christmas home from the Army, I wanted to brighten things up and it has grown from there every year to 40k leds and 178 LOR channels this year

And yes, the paper boy did it. I have a candy house that I put out every Christmas that holds about 2 1/2 boxes of candy canes. Last year, I would leave for work in the morning with it filled with candy canes and when I would get home late afternoon, it would be empty. I know the neighborhood kids aren't that greedy so I was puzzled about who was taking them. My neighbor gets home about 3 in the afternoon everyday and one day I was talking to him. He asked if I was going thru alot of candy canes. Come to find out, he had seen the paper boy stop and fill his paper bag with all the candy canes. He knew the paper boy, his mom and his grandma and told me who his grandma was, who I also knew, so I mentioned it to her. She talked to mom and paper boy, and told me it was a "friend" who was helping that day. What irks me is it wasn't a "friend" and the mom was driving the boy around to deliver the papers and watched the whole thing. Kids are just kids and don't know any better until they are taught right and wrong, apparently the grandma never taught the mom.

It happened a few times this year also, but not the paper boy. I had just stocked the candy cane house and was watching the light show when a van pulls up, 2 kids get out and run to the candy cane house and get a candy cane, and then get in the van and leave. I thought, hmm, could have watched a little of the the show but whatever. I walked over to the cc house and low and behold, over half the canes were gone. I started going the previous night's video footage from the security cameras and that same van and kids came most evenings about the same time Monday thru Friday. Well I just quit stocking the house during the day and waited until after that time everyday to fill it up.

Why are people so ignorant? I almost let the really small majority of morons ruin for everybody, was thinking about not doing much of a display next year but its the other 98% of the people we do this for and thats why I will continue until I can't do it anymore.

Mine really started about 5 years ago doing just static. I bought an inflatable for the yard. Well then the next year after Christmas I bought a few more and so on. I would up with 23 inflatables 15,000 lights and two lights and sounds of music. Then My brother sent me a web site with an animated lights show and the inflatables hit ebay and LOR was the new hobby this year. 64 channels 22,500 lights. Next year I will have 160 channels running Renard's. Lots of work to do in the off season. I will probably have around 50,000 lights next year and will it stop here? Who knows.

I Checked out your vids and we love your singing ELVIS---:)

In thinking back, my current Christmas lighting obsession must have started with a cop named Tom Henselwood in Brazil, Indiana. He decorated his house when no one else did theirs. Realistically, he probably had 2,000 lights max but it was very special for such a small town at that time. One thing that he had was a tree (maybe a cut birch tree) that he had lights on and then sprayed with water so it froze into ice. Spraying and spraying, thicker and thicker. Very cool. I have yet to duplicate that. Anyway, based on seeing Mr. Henselwood's house, I've always liked lights. And, after getting a place of my own many years later, I just kept following the rule of "adding" something new each year. It is amazing what that will do for the size of your display.

As to your paperboy story: I'm missing 3 LOR Showtime controllers; I'll PM you my address for restitution. :D

in thinking back, my current christmas lighting obsession must have started with a cop named tom henselwood in brazil, indiana. He decorated his house when no one else did theirs. Realistically, he probably had 2,000 lights max but it was very special for such a small town at that time. One thing that he had was a tree (maybe a cut birch tree) that he had lights on and then sprayed with water so it froze into ice. Spraying and spraying, thicker and thicker. Very cool. I have yet to duplicate that. Anyway, based on seeing mr. Henselwood's house, i've always liked lights. And, after getting a place of my own many years later, i just kept following the rule of "adding" something new each year. It is amazing what that will do for the size of your display.

As to your paperboy story: I'm missing 3 lor showtime controllers; i'll pm you my address for restitution. :D

thanks for your story --did some one really steal some of your controllers ?---When I lived up in the hills near mt lassen ca. ---6000 ft up ---I sprayed water on a tree and it was awsome with ice (did that to keep water main that was exposed from freezing) we had one snow storm that dumped 9 feet in 24 hours--- that was back in mid 80s

Edited by dmagelssen

thanks for your story --did some one really steal some of your controllers ?---When I lived up in the hills near mt lassen ca. ---6000 ft up ---I sprayed water on a tree and it was awsome with ice (did that to keep water main that was exposed from freezing) we had one snow storm that dumped 9 feet in 24 hours--- that was back in mid 80s

Naw. That was supposed to be a joke. Sorry for the confusion.

We live on a one lane, one way in - same way out road. Not much of a risk for thieves -- but having said that one of our 7 neighbors had a Suburban stolen from the driveway last week. First theft ever here so they tell me. As to Christmas decorations, once the ground freezes, you could vandalize them, but they would would be difficult to steal. Still, I do have some chains and padlocks in appropriate places just in case.

9 feet in 24 hours is incredible and I would think that would be taxing just about anywhere. It kind of made laugh -- the one thing I don't like about blowmolds is that they are all so short -- but then compared to 9 feet of snow, just about everything is short!