Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
JellyTheory

Set of 9 Large Centerpiece Christmas Trees for Front Yard

Hi Everyone,

With another baby on the way :), it looks like this last Christmas is going to be the last Christmas we're able to do the display. With that said, I'm going to start selling parts of the display off as I find the time to do so and am going to start with what could be the considered the centerpiece of most displays.

Each of the trees I'm selling were made out of metal, welded and then painted by a local metal fabrication shop. I then added 3500 lights (5 100 count strings of white, red, blue, green and multi). Each tree stands over 5' 2" tall (this measurement doesn't include the 8"-10" of metal legs that are stuck in to the ground - so the trees could actually sit higher up if you don't push them into the ground) and each tree is 2' 10" wide at the base. Each tree has 6 posts that go up to the point and have two metal bands (one at the base of the tree and one in the middle of the tree) to add stability to the tree. I had paid the extra money for the fabrication shop to use 6 posts instead of 4 or 5 posts because that way when the trees were wrapped with lights they looked more like a circular tree instead of a diamond or triangle pattern (if they had used 3 or 4 verticle posts instead).

I paid for these trees to be custom made because I wanted something that visually stood out more than tomato cages did (I personally think the tomato cages are too small and too thin and look kind of like thin posts instead of full and round christmas trees). I wanted them to store easily (i.e. stackable - the first year I took the lights off the trees then stacked them on top of eachother, last year I left the lights on them and didn't stack them). I wanted them to look good during the day (painted green and could stand the weight of being covered with lights and even garland) and because they are see through, I could hide controllers and strobes inside them when they were in the yard.

These trees are visually awesome during both the day and night! Especially when they are changing 5 different colors at night as when lit, you can see through the front lights of the tree and see the lights on the back side of tree as well which helps give them a good sense of depth! I also hang curtain strobes down through the center of each tree to give them that extra and added "Wow!" factor. ...We have actually had one to two people stop by the last two years, while we are putting the trees out, and ask if they were for sale.

Considering the quality of construction, the durability, what I paid for them and all of the lights (3,500) that are on them, I would really like to get $50 for each tree. Although I'd like to sell all of them at once, a smaller set of even three of these trees would look great as a seperate element (behind your mini-mini trees) in the corner of your yard. Because of their size, shipping costs would be prohibitive to anyone a far distance away so it would be much better if the buyer lived somewhat local (somewhere in Southern California) and could pick them up.

Below is a picture of the trees taken during the day and two embedded videos of our lights from last year so you can see the trees in use. You can also click on any of the videos on the video link on our website if you'd like to see some more videos of them as well.

http://www.christmasinchino.com/Videos.html

So, if you're looking for a centerpiece for your display and don't want to waste the time, effort and money driving all over the place looking for plastic trees from a local retailer, to then spend extra money and time to wrap the trees with more than one set of lights, these already done trees are for you! :)

Thanks for your time and please contact me if you're interested! I'd really like to get these sold to make some room for the new baby on the way!

-Chris

DaylightMiniTrees2008-M.jpg

Edited by JellyTheory
Added Southern California to Title

Here are two videos of the lights from 2009 (I haven't posted the 2010 videos yet) to see the trees at night. In my opinion, the "Angels We Have Heard on High" (based off of Richard Holdman's version - Thanks Richard!) video shows the trees off pretty well.

Sandstorm - 2009:

Angels We Have Heard on High - 2009:

Edited by JellyTheory

Look awesome, Wish I lived in CA.

Thank you! I'm really torn and sad to be selling everything, but know that the free time would be better spent with the newborn and our 4 year old daughter this next Christmas season instead of working on setting up and taking down the lights again. We have a four year old daughter now and have been trying for three years for another child. So now that we are fortunate enough to have a second baby on the way, I know we can really use the room for things other than Christmas lights. I hope these sell fast though to someone local so I don't change my mind. :)

Also, if I didn't say it clearly enough above, each of these trees comes with the 35 strings of lights that are on them (7 of each - white, blue, red, green and multi) but you could also take these light off and string them with LEDs if you wanted to instead. :)

Thanks again!

-Chris

Edited by JellyTheory

Well First of all Congratulations!!!

second, The trees look great!

Lastly, I will tell you that I have 4 Children ranging form 18, 16, 14, 12 and the main reason i do these shows is because of them.

While you may want to reduce the size of your display, decrease the amount of time, etc. the joy that I get from having my children's eyes light up and now that they are older and actually help is incredible!

Even at younger ages, my kids loved going into the front yard and enjoy the lights. It was a family event, still is! We take a fire pit into the front driveway, share hot chocolate and enjoy the show.

While I completely understand you wanting to spend time with the new family additions, and I applaude that! I also know that the lights pull our family together and makes Christmas a special time of the year for the family!

my oldest is heading to college next year and she is already talking about needing to be home for Thanksgiving for the kickoff of the Light Show!

Makes me feel like I have started some traditions for the family.

Just my .02!

Mike.

Chris,

I really hate to hear this news. Your display is truly magical and a must see online each year for both my wife & myself. I've always wanted to ask but just never did, how did you create or where did you buy the hanging balls in the trees? I absolutely love those. What size are they? You have a wonderful display that will be missed in your community.

Regards,

Brandon

Edited by supermanbrandon

PM sent. I would Like to keep the trees together (so they don't get lonely) he he. I sent you a pm..... Congradulations on you newest arrive. Sorry to hear you won't be doing display...... Your display looks awesome......

Thank you for your time...... Jody Hall

Chris, Did you make the presents too? If so can you PM me the details if you have time. Thanks

I believe the presents are from Michaels approx. 3 years ago. I have a set as well. I haven't been able to find them in TN for a past couple of years.

Thanks Brandon! I have been running ideas through my head on how to build those. I saw something about building ones out of wood slats and wrap them in a colored see through mesh with white lights!!