Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Bill Hoffman

Light Up Ohio 2011 Expo is coming!

The Light Up Ohio 2011 Christmas/Halloween Expo will be held on May 13th and 14th, in Columbus, Ohio. This is our 5th Annual Expo, and we are looking forward to a fun and educational event.

We pride ourselves in helping beginners, as well as including some of the more advanced techniques in the presentations. This event is not just for Ohio residents; we are honored when people come from other states. Last year, we had 14 states, plus Canada, represented. We have a reputation of bringing new and innovative ideas to our hobby, and this year will be no different, with the addition of Halloween lighting ideas.

Please mark your calendars

Will you have any more resin characters for sale? LOL :D

I wish I did, from the response I got from the last ones, I could sell them and retire again. lol

Bill

We usually have a swap meet...so you never know what kind of treasures might show up @ the event.

Mike, you might be interested in this item, which is one of many items, that will be up for sale at the Light Up Ohio 2011 Expo Swap Meet. It's another resin figure made to be put by your front door to welcome visitor's, Santa is holding a little bucket that you can put candy canes or something in.

The Swap Meet at this event is a great way to save yourself some money, and shipping.

Bill

post-277-0-50755400-1297112512_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill Hoffman

It was a sad day. :-( All my candy was gone, but that red bird on my finger gave me some great news to cheer me up. He said that the Light Up Ohio 2011 Expo was right around the corner and I would be able to be around fellow lighting fanatics for two whole days. That makes me feel great, so I will sit here on this bench and dream about May 13th and 14th. Hope to see you there.

Bill

I wish I did, from the response I got from the last ones, I could sell them and retire again. lol

Bill

There might be a downside. I twisted/strained my knee tryng to get them off of the front porch and onto the two wheeler. AH, Cortisone!

~Light-Up-Ohio Expo 2011~

Registration is now open!!!

If you are planning on attending, go to www.lightupohio.com and click on the WebStore and follow the instructions.

~LUO Meet & Greet~

The plans are still in the works and we expect to have them finalized soon. We will post the details as soon as they are ready.

If you are coming to LUO Expo 2011, and have a project that you want to share with everyone, and you "need table space" - Please contact me ASAP (for details), as we only have a limited number of tables to work with.

Questions... don't hesitate to ask!

Edited by jpohio

The Light Up Ohio Christmas/Halloween Expo is quickly approaching. We want to make 2011 the best year ever for the event. Since the attendees have made Light Up Ohio one of the most premier events of it’s kind, this is a tall order. We have been thinking a lot, and asking many questions on how we could improve on an already successful event. Well, thanks to many of the attendees, we have come up with some very exciting changes.

This will be our first year to include Halloween lighting techniques in our presentations. A lot of the same technology, and lighting, you use in your Christmas displays can also be used in your Halloween displays, so they go hand in hand.

We have put a lot of thought into the Meet & Greet, and have decided that although the restaurant atmosphere in the past has served its purpose, it just doesn’t accomplish our main goal. Our main goal of the Meet & Greet is to bring people together, with the same interests, and offer them a place to freely mingle and share ideas one on one. So this year we decided to have it at a private facility, have an old fashioned cookout, and make it easier for people to access others for a more productive experience.

There will be a big change in the format of LUO. Instead of presentations all day long, we are going to try something different. Again, we are listening to the attendees, and will start out with the morning being filled with the most requested topics, as formal presentations. Then we will change it up in the afternoon. We will offer "Elformation Stations". There will be numerous "Elformation Stations" set up, and you can pick and choose which ones you would like to visit. They will offer a wide array of subjects, and should answer a lot of your questions.

All of the formal presentations have been set, but we still have some "Elformation Stations" open. If you want to give back to the community, let me or Jeff Phillips know what you have in mind for one of these sessions, and we will do our best to schedule you in.

Can’t wait to see everybody at Light Up Ohio 2011, May 13-14.

Bill

We are excited to release more information about the Light Up Ohio 2011 Christmas/Halloween Expo. It is a 3-day event with a Meet & Greet on Friday evening May 13th, the main event on May 14th and a breakfast get together, to chat, on May 15th.

Here are some of the morning presentations we have confirmed so far:

"An Ideal Website"

"LED’s-How to Modify Typical Strings and Ropelight"

"FM Transmitters and Antennas"

"Intro to Aurora"

Also, we will have "Elformation Stations" set up through out the building, and outside. You will be able to explore topics of your choice, and talk one on one to experts on these particular topics. Some of the "Elformation Stations" available will be Renard Station, Solder Station, Wireframe Design (actual hands on welding), Ropelight Repair, Blow Mold Restoration, "NEW" Snow Tubes, Firefli, Inflatable Animation, and many more.

Along with all of this there will be lots of prizes, plenty of food, our one of a kind Light Up Ohio T-shirt, lots of sharing, and loads of fun. We also encourage you to bring your own projects to show others and to share your ideas. More to come.

Registration is open "now" at www.lightupohio.com.

Bill

I just signed up the wife and I and we are looking forward to returning to the Buckeye state. this will be my second year for LOR and we are wanting to learn as much as possable. Is there any special rates to ask for at the Comfort Suites that is listed on the site?"

I just signed up the wife and I and we are looking forward to returning to the Buckeye state. this will be my second year for LOR and we are wanting to learn as much as possable. Is there any special rates to ask for at the Comfort Suites that is listed on the site?"

It will be great see you guys. Jeff Philllips was working on getting some kind of discount on the host hotel, but not sure if he was successful. I will get with him to find out for you. Also, we are hoping to have a LOR "Elformation Station" set up. Since LOR is a premier lighting software, we will probably have a "Round Table" discussion for people interested in learning more about it.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman

Since I started in this hobby as a DIYer, I'm always excited when some of the DIY experts use Light Up Ohio to show off some of their projects. This year we have David Jones, not only doing a formal presentation in the morning, but also setting up an "Elformation Station" of DIY projects in the afternoon. Some of the things he will have to show are:

>- A selection of built Renard boards, including Franks famous 24 port, SS series Renards, the new REN48LSD and even the original REN16 XMAS version !

- Fully functional FM01 and maybe an FM02

- His Wireframe sequence controller based on the SSRez

- And lots of LEDs since he will be giving a talk on how to modify LED strings. (Plus some LED flood boards

You don't want to miss David's presentations. You can sign up now at www.lightupohio.com.

Bill

I am looking into this... just waiting for a response from the hotel. As soon as I have any info, I will get it posted.

Posted Yesterday, 11:40 PM

Edited by jpohio

Ok, here is the Hotel info for LUO 2011...

~The host hotel for LUO 2011~

Comfort Suites - Columbus

5547 Keim Circle

Columbus, OH 43228

614-870-7658

The Group Rate is

$73.95/night

(Check In May 13th - Check Out May 15th)

When making your resevations, specify that you are with the "Light-Up-Ohio" group.

The room block is under my name - Jeff Phillips.

Deadline for reservations is May 6th, 2011

Here is some exciting news posted by David over at the DIY Christmas site>>>>

Hello,

I will be doing a Renard Show and Tell at the Ohio Mini (LUO) in May.

As part of that, I will be making a donation to a lucky person. I will be giving away a Brand New Tenma Temp Controlled Solder Station. I would like to pair that with at least one Renard PCB and parts. (Either Franks or SS or 64 versions)

I'll also give away the appropriate enclosure.

The idea is that I'd give a raffle ticket to anyone that bothers to spend some time at my Renard 'booth'. So.... Hear the Renard and DoityourselfChristmas.com Story and get a free chance to win the ability to build your own controller !

Plus, its yet another reason for folks to attend our 'mini'.

So, I'm unabashedly soliciting donations. I need a blank PCB and I'll take any parts I can get. I can fill-in most of the parts I don't get except the transformer which I don't have in my stash.

If I get more then one PCB and parts set, then more then one person will be a winner.

If you would like to do this, just PM me and I'll send you my address.

Why do this? We all benefit from the efforts of others in this hobby and it never hurts to give it forward.

Thanks in advance !

David .

This was posted by David (ukewarrior) over at the DIYChristmas, hope to see everybody at the Light Up Ohio 2011 Halloween/Christmas Expo>>>

Here the Do It YourSelf Story and get a chance to win a fabulous prize !

This year, during the LUO afternoon, I will be doing an in-depth explanation (elformation station) of the most popular Do It Yourself Christmas Lighting Controller which is typically known as:
Renard

If you take the time to hear and learn about the Renard, you will be entered into a mini-Raffle that I will be holding. The winner will receive a full kit to build their own Renard Controller ! Your raffle ticket is FREE, you simply need to stop and listen.

This kit will include:

- A Blank Renard Printed Circuit Board

- All of the parts to populate the Circuit Board

- An enclosure to house your new fancy Renard Controller

- A temperature controlled Soldering Station that you can use to build your new controller

- Links to the assembly instructions.

All-in-all, a value of over $100 with tons of free support at:

So, be sure to save yourself some time Saturday afternoon to hear all about the Renard. This will take about 20 mintues and I will be giving the info multiple times.

For attendees of LIGHT UP OHIO .I just put together a little web site of all the Stuff I am getting rid of. The web site is www.winksale.yolasite.com Please check it out

Thank You Gregg

~Light-Up-Ohio Meet & Greet~

May 13th, 2011 5pm - 10pm

Hosted by Jon Gillie & his Wife, at their clubhouse

2400 Holt Park Blvd. Grove City OH 43123

This year we are having an old fashion cookout, and the private setting will give everyone the opportunity to chat, share ideas and stories, and have some fun & good food!

We also have a DMX Demo lined up for the evening.

There will be a small fee to help defray the cost of the food & non-alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is permitted, but it's BYOB or whatever you like to drink.

The menu & fee... TBA

A big "Thank You" to Jon & his wife for hosting the event!

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Edited by jpohio

Here are some great bargains that will be offered at the Light Up Ohio 2011 Expo by Christmas-LEDS.com

The items that are presently in stock will be discounted as follows-

All LED light strings are 35% off

All Mini Snowfall Light Sets are 35% off

All 11', 19", 31", and 39" Snowfall lights including transformers and extensions are 35% off

All Incandescent Rope Light is 30% off

All LED Rope Light is 35% off

Use this code at checkout LUO2011 and it will automatically deduct 35%

For shipping - Click on "Pick Up" and you will not be charged for shipping since they will deliver free to LUO 2011

Expo Additional Web site sales include -

All bare frames (no lights) are 35% off

All G25 are 50% off

The code is not needed for wire frames and G25's

If anyone wants them to bring any specific item to look at, please send an email to [email protected]

Registration is now open at WWW.LIGHTUPOHIO.COM May 13-16.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman

Here are some great bargains that will be offered at the Light Up Ohio 2011 Expo by Christmas-LEDS.com

The items that are presently in stock will be discounted as follows-

All LED light strings are 35% off

All Mini Snowfall Light Sets are 35% off

All 11', 19", 31", and 39" Snowfall lights including transformers and extensions are 35% off

All Incandescent Rope Light is 30% off

All LED Rope Light is 35% off

Use this code at checkout LUO2011 and it will automatically deduct 35%

For shipping - Click on "Pick Up" and you will not be charged for shipping since they will deliver free to LUO 2011

Expo Additional Web site sales include -

All bare frames (no lights) are 35% off

All G25 are 50% off

The code is not needed for wire frames and G25's

If anyone wants them to bring any specific item to look at, please send an email to [email protected]

Registration is now open at WWW.LIGHTUPOHIO.COM May 13-16.

Bill

Wow... looks like some great deals!!!

Go ahead and get your orders in and in a mere 41 days you can have your order!

Yep that's right, LUO Expo 2011 is only 41 days away! You haven't registered yet, you say... why not stop by our webstore and get that taken care of while you are thinking of it!