Next year I want to make the big Halloween faces that you see on the side of houses (with the multiple mouth positions). I am looking for some "how to" topics on making them. I am not sure if I want to do the rope lights, or mini lights. Should I use coro or some type of chicken wire. Any input or links to other discussions on this is greatly appreciated. I remember seeing some stuff in the past but I can't find it now. Also, any hints on determining which mouth position to use for different sounds would be great.

Im working on this project also. going to build out of Coro and mini lights. approx 8 x 8 that I can break down into 4 ft x 4ft sections.

The mouth movements are time consuming to say the least.

I am using .05 timing, and freqency view works to help with positioning.

I play back at half speed and use my mouth movements to give me an idea of where the mouth should on the program.

By the way, do this programming somewhere away from your teenage sons. Appearantly they are now convinced that I should be walking around with a hocky helmet on. And will mimic me at every oppertunity.

This was the guide I used, I was simply amazed buy the work and the videos were a great assist.

His sequencing was amazing, watch his videos. He made his sequences avalible for download and I learned a ton by looking at how he did his.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/43153-my-singing-pumpkin-display/

Edited by bfrd22

Ours is made from a frame of metal pipe, chicken wire attached to that frame with zip ties...the face pieces hubby made with the wire you hang celing with (?) then he zip tied rope light to that and then the whole thing Face pieces) to the chicken wire. He mounts the frame to the fence (with the help of 3 oters) He made a box to store the pieces in outta plywood. It all breaks down into pieces..one of his criteria...lol

Next year I want to make the big Halloween faces that you see on the side of houses (with the multiple mouth positions). I am looking for some "how to" topics on making them. I am not sure if I want to do the rope lights, or mini lights. Should I use coro or some type of chicken wire. Any input or links to other discussions on this is greatly appreciated. I remember seeing some stuff in the past but I can't find it now. Also, any hints on determining which mouth position to use for different sounds would be great.

Check "Dougp" in the next thread (www.wireframedlites.com). I purchased one of his wire frame pumpkin faces last year. about 4' X 4' VERY well made. It will save you a lot of work. I used rope light for the mouth positions and mini lights for the outline, eyes and smaller sections. The frame folds in half for storage (with lights on).

Here is a video www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoivdxDyjVo (sorry for the low quality video, but you will get the idea).

also check out ledfreak here is a link to the LOR forum http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum83/23365.html (scroll down)

Here is a jpg (lost the originator, but I think it is CRACKER (by the way KING of pumpkin faces).

post-9675-0-73375500-1297006794_thumb.jp

Thanks for the replies. It seems to me that the advantages of the coroboard and the mini lights would be that it is cheaper and easier to replace the lights when they go out. The faces made out of the metal pipe and chicken wire seems to me that it would last longer. I also kind of like the look of the rope light for the faces.

Any recommendations on where to get the rope light if I decide to go that way. I will have to learn how and where to cut the rope light to make the faces.

I search under custom cut rope lgith- we drew our actual face on paper adn then measured what lengths we needed adn order what was close...always allow a bit more for curves adn corners...we got our at Christmas Lights .com or something like that...We also have a 20 foot tall snowman we made using the same frame and rope lights. Have fun!

I did some research into this last year - no actual work on it yet, just some research:

http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/showthread.php/1371-lip-syncing-displays?p=8935#post8935

Links to other sites, including some software that will analyze the lyrics of the music you want to use, and suggest the mouth shapes you should use for the various phonemes. That software was developed for cartoons so graphic artists could match mouth movement drawings to what was being said.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I see the incandescent rope light that appears to have a uniform brightness throughout the rope light, and others that look like light beads throughout the rope light. My initial thought is that I would like to have the uniform (diffused) lighting rope light for the faces. It is hard to tell from some of the pictures from the vendors which type they are selling. What should I look for in the description to tell me which type I am getting?

Any thoughts on which type you think is best for the Halloween faces?

This is my coro version I've used for 2 years, this will be the 3rd. It has 8 channels: Left Evil Eye, Right Evil Eye, Small Eyes, Closed Eyes, Mouth Wide Open, Mouth Half Open, O Shaped Mouth, Closed Mouth. This year, I plan to add a 9th channel to control the closed eyes separately. Since this video, I've reprogrammed all of my Halloween sequences.

post-8945-0-04047200-1301276631_thumb.jp

Edited by Tim Bateson

Here is a video of my display!

It is 8' X 8'. Its made with pvc pipe. With 4, 4' sections. Then I used black plastic netting and ziptied it to the PVC pipe. Then used rope light I got from Home depot. They sell different legnths of rope like. 2', 6', and 12' sections. And it is rather cheap. There are 7 different channels.

1. Top of the eyes

2. Bottom of the eyes / Nose

3. Top of Mouth

4. Small opening mouth

5. Large opening mouth

6. "O" Mouth opening

7. Oval mouth opening

After The show was finished for the year. I cut the netting off the pvc, and rolled the netting with the rope light on it. And broke down the pvc pipe. And so net year I put the PVC together and un roll the netting with the rope light on it.

Easy set up and break down. When I get to put it up again. Ill make sure I take pictures of it.

• 3 weeks later...

The 8ft Coro pumpkin is on its way from David, Should be here anyday, 96" x 96" 1470 mini lights,

Price was really good, to map out and drill 1500 holes? Price was REALLY good. If you havent started yet get a hold of Coro-designs.

Here is a video of my display!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FZdsrSw1BDU

It is 8' X 8'. Its made with pvc pipe. With 4, 4' sections. Then I used black plastic netting and ziptied it to the PVC pipe. Then used rope light I got from Home depot. They sell different legnths of rope like. 2', 6', and 12' sections. And

<snip>

After The show was finished for the year. I cut the netting off the pvc, and rolled the netting with the rope light on it. And broke down the pvc pipe. And so net year I put the PVC together and un roll the netting with the rope light on it.

Easy set up and break down. When I get to put it up again. Ill make sure I take pictures of it.

I like the idea of the quick and easy storage and setup for the following year. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Please share more about the black plastic netting. I have been looking at a netting used around sport courts.

Thanks,

Brian

He may be using this privacy fencing, as it is made out of plastic and will last awhile . Heres a example http://collinscompany.com/AllPurposeFenceScreen.htm

Edited by holland lights
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Save yourself a lot of hassle and work. Holiday Coro has everything you need, just add lights. They have the sequences, large faces, quartets, small faces, tombstones.....you name it. I really like the look of the rope light, but most places only will cut it in 18" sections at the shortest, leaving a lot to tape up or cover. It can get quite costly by the time you add in the caps and power plugs ( around $2 to $3 per foot and about $7 per cut/length for caps and power plugs). With the coro, it's black, the lights pop right in and sequencing already done. You can then tweak it to your liking. I have about $50 tied up in my large pumpkin with lights I bought at end of season last year. Very pleased.

Attached pic all lit up. There are 2 LOR channels used for eyes (Open and Closed) and 5 channels for mouth movements. I used green for stem, orange for outline, red for eyes and clear for each mouth movement. Thinking I may have come out better with using orange for mouth as they would be less bright and reflective. Will wait for test run to see.