i have been doing lights for years and i started using the mr christmas outfit. it was my christmas present to me.this last year my sonin laws little brother had his dad leave, and they happened to stop by. he got out of the truck and said this is just like disneyland and started dancing to the music. that was only with the mr christmas box.. so i fond this site and and started planning for 2011. to be honest i got a little depressed. because most people do not understand what it takes to make our decorations come to life as we do. i've heard comments like weird, crazy, freak geek and so on. but that 8 year old little boy that was totally enlightened by my lights and the same sxample people have put on this site now give me the drive an reason to continue. some of it may be for our own satisfaction but for the most part it is for all to enjoy. the posts in this section really helped me to see the true reason we all do it for. i can't wait for 2011... thankyou all

I have heard those words many ,many times, weird, crazy, freak ...ect. but I have never let it get to me, because the real reason, for me, is when I hear the cars go by and I hear the kids yell "Mom look!" or having the same families every night bring their young ones out to see the lights before they go to bed. Keep going and making those lasting memories :) Welcome aboard to the addiction.

i have been doing lights for years and i started using the mr christmas outfit. it was my christmas present to me.this last year my sonin laws little brother had his dad leave, and they happened to stop by. he got out of the truck and said this is just like disneyland and started dancing to the music. that was only with the mr christmas box.. so i fond this site and and started planning for 2011. to be honest i got a little depressed. because most people do not understand what it takes to make our decorations come to life as we do. i've heard comments like weird, crazy, freak geek and so on. but that 8 year old little boy that was totally enlightened by my lights and the same sxample people have put on this site now give me the drive an reason to continue. some of it may be for our own satisfaction but for the most part it is for all to enjoy. the posts in this section really helped me to see the true reason we all do it for. i can't wait for 2011... thankyou all

Well done glad you found us>>

For me, I laugh it off. The harshest criticism I have heard was about the waste of energy and my contribution to green house gases from some high schooler. I reminded them that the leader of the Global Warming movement wasted more energy in a month than I could conserve in a year and then told them that my energy costs were about the price of a soda pop a day.

That is it.

So when people call you weird or other nasty names, just remember that it is because they do not comprehend the impact you will have on families.

You make Christmas memories.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a ceremony and my wife was in a conversation with the woman next to her. The conversation of our lights came up and the woman related that she and her two children would put their pajamas on, grab a few hot chocolates and drive to the display to listen to the music and watch the lights.

You can not put a price on how that will impact that family's relationships for the rest of their lives. That is why I do this.

It is why I do this even when I am completely burned out and physically drained. It is a ministry to others.

Good luck with your critics and welcome to the forum. We are your support and your enablers.

This is an addiction but one that can be said to be a fun and enjoyable one. Well that all depends on who you ask of course! Making memories for kids, families, and parents' alike are what we do this for... Even just for our own fun. I know I've sat in front of many displays and just enjoyed watching them... and also just watching the cars and the kids in them. Yes I am talking about the parents is some cars and not the kids who are asleep!

The memories will always be there and always remember that you do what you do for your enjoyment first, and theirs second... but it's ok to switch that around too!

Last year I was at a Christmas party and Christmas lights came up in conversation. One guy mentioned my show not knowing that it was mine. He said something like "they're nuts" and "total nerd thing to do". the others started talking about how much they liked it, some knowing that it was mine. After a few minutes however, the "nuts" guy started wondering aloud how it was done and if it costs a lot. It took him a while but he came around. I eventually filled him in on how it's done. Not sure if he figured out that it was me that's nuts.

For every complainer or critic, there's a hundred who love the show. Ignore the critic and enjoy the fans.

• 2 weeks later...