Lighting Consoles

B_Regal78

I know this may not be the best place for this type of question, but I ask anyway. I’m looking for a new theatrical (stage) lighting desk to control both traditional par cans as well as some basic intelligent lighting. During the Christmas season, I use LOR for my display; however, LOR does not always lend itself to a live production (nor was it designed to). While LOR works great for pre-recorded songs (even on a live stage), it’s hard to seamlessly transition from one song to another.

There are many lighting desks out there that can handle both par cans and intelligent lighting; however, I want the following two items to be addressed. The lighting desk must be portable. I have a Jands Hog, and while it is a very capable desk, it is far from portable. The lighting desk must also have a fader for the intelligent lights, which means it must be able to accept intelligent lighting traits or at least be able to “reassign” channels to a single intelligent light so that the “fader” for all intelligent lighting can be on the same channel (i.e. if the fader for an intelligent is on channel 4, reassign it to channel 1).

I have 28 par cans in which have approximately 12-14 scenes between them, which include those with gels to change colors, as well as various “white” cans to specifically light up various parts of the stage (combinations of up stage, down stage, stage left, stage right, etc.). I also have 10 intelligent lights with 54 3watt LEDs (they are as bright as the Source 4 Pars), each with 9 channels.

I have considered this board (http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=&ItemNumber=1224 ) as a possibility; however, I have never seen this desk so I cannot play with it. Anyone have any ideas?

The board listed will work, however it may limit you in the future. While there are many options that will cost lots of money, one solution that may work is Chamsys MagicQ for the computer. Download the demo which is free and ha full functionality. Then get an entecc dmx dongle and you have one full universe of control for a little over $100 plus the computer of course. I have not done this myself, but it is highly recommended.

Will Sanders

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/obey-70.html is what I bought for my DMX lighting. We never got into any intelligent lighting but we bought it with the need to have easy live control. And channel re-asign.

What you might find with any computer based versions is how hard it is to control on the fly.

I'm not sure what price point your looking for but one limitation we had with the obey is that the audio input is mic only and doesn't have an input or sensetivity adjustment.

From what I've read on the site you listed. I think you've probably found the one you needed.

I'm not sure what my price point will be, but I'm sure I will be close to 4 digits. yup - I did see it was only 8 fixtures (the board I listed), but I was thinking that I would have several duplicate addresses. It has the features that I want, just a bit too small. The obey is nice portable board and has the right form factor that I am looking for, but it can only run scenes and does not let you actively control the intensity (or anything else actively) regarding intelligent lighting - only what is pre-programmed. It probably would not suit my need. Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep the ideas coming...(and I'll take a look at the computer thing)...

Having not used inteligent lighting myself I'm not sure of the difference, but the Obey allows you to modify on the fly any channel intesity. That was the big reason we bought it. We were a live band, and needed something that would allow the soundman to play with it live. It worked out pretty good. We were able to put up to 8 addresses and 8 channels each on the main faders and adjust either 1 or a combination of all 8 on the fly. This worked great. We were using 8 RGB Par Cans so we were able to do full stage color changes on the fly.