Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Wichita Get Together?

Ok with the Expo not being anymore this year, I was wanting to see if some of the Kansans would like to just get together and talk shop.. could be at a restaurant, someone's house, or do whatever... would be nice to reconnect with people!

I'd offer it at my place but my place is about a hour northwest of Wichita and since there are more decorators in and around the Wichita area, I felt my place is a bit out of range... and parking sucks!!!

Any ideas?

Ok with the Expo not being anymore this year, I was wanting to see if some of the Kansans would like to just get together and talk shop.. could be at a restaurant, someone's house, or do whatever... would be nice to reconnect with people!

I'd offer it at my place but my place is about a hour northwest of Wichita and since there are more decorators in and around the Wichita area, I felt my place is a bit out of range... and parking sucks!!!

Any ideas?

Lyman I would be glad to get together. I would meet in restaurant or anywhere. Maybe I can talk my wife into letting us use my house, maybe. I check back in week or so to see if anybody else replies.

Might be a little soon, but my wife is gone next Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I've got nothing planned. Otherwise I'm up for any evening, but since Lyman is in Hutch that a pretty long drive. So except for Saturday the 12th (taxes) my weekends are pretty open this month.

I also just sent a message to Mattrob. The fellow on South Gold. Maybe they will reply. Mell

Hey Everyone,

I'm at school at K-State and unfortunately I will not be back in town for the meet-up. Thanks for the invite!

-Matt

You think we can push out the date a bit so I can have more time to notify work? I was thinking of something Late March to Early April, that way it would give people time to let others know and to bring friends. This would also enable me to make sure I can have the day to come into town. I usually have to give a 2 wk notice to work to ensure I get a saturday or a sunday off. As management we usually don't get weekends off as weekends are the busiest time for us.

But I can always try to do something and try to work something out with work.

Lyman

I'll contact the guys here in Hutch and see if they are interested. There is a couple of people I talked to over Christmas that are wanting to go from Mr Christmas to LOR and all the fun we have. I'll let them know and see what works for them and get back with you this week!

My take is we get together this month. If we wait folks start getting busy with other things as the weather improves. Also, and more important is that most of us are in the process of making show changes for 2011. For myself I'm currently bringing my sequences up to date with this years show configuration. If I hear a bang up idea in a month or two I'd probably wait till 2012 to make the addition. Of course I thought this was just going to be kind of a meet and greet to talk shop and maybe help each other with our upcoming displays, and because our wife's are already tire of hearing us talk about Christmas lights. I didn't think it was going to be a Hamplus kind of format. If we're talking class like format then we would need to wait till someone can put that together. Remember spring break is towards the end of March.

March 19 is fine . If it is ok with Steve. Steve did you try and send message through planet christmas or did you send it through e-mail. I guess maybe it does not matter if it says it not accepting e-mails. Iguess i can send one through p c .

Hey guys, spoke to my wife about the 19th. If we plan anything I'll work around that date. So lets shoot for the 19th at my place??? I assume we're talking about a afternoon get together. Lets get the place and time set and start rounding up the local folks. I have a great room that probably seats 10 comfortably and maybe as many as 15. I do have a empty finished basement room that's about 15 by 21 that with a number of chairs would seat more, but I'm assuming that's not necessary. Plenty of parking so let me know what you think.

The 19th is great I would throw out 1:00 pm as a good time, if someboby wants another time let me know.I well try and help get a hold of everyone. Lyman like i ask earlier if you would contact the two fellows in Hutch, i know it is a bit of a drive, but they might want to come.

I talked to one... he is busy getting into the lawn stuff now (he runs a lawn business) so he's most likely out, but I will bug him again.

The other, I will see about getting him and possibly a couple of others that have expressed interest.

I put my notice in today so we will see what happens, but most likely I will have it off

Biscut can you get ahold of Dave. He has not answered, I am sure he is busy or just has not check this site for a while. Steve, I just want to comfirm we are doing this March 19th at 1:00, at your place. I think we will have a great time. I am really looking forward to meeting everybody again or for the first time. I am going to try to get ahold of Eric in Goddsrd, and the fellow on Remmington, his name is Mike Johnson. Hope to see you all. Mel

Sorry to reply so late. Our email was down for a few days and the computer guru's had a hard time finding out what was wrong. I guess at $150.00 per hour the longer it takes them to fix it the more they will make.

The 19th. should work for me. I don't know of anything going on that weekend.

Hey guys, are we planning on using my place on the 19th? I'm good with that, but would like to know for sure. Also, I thought we might want to set up a format of sorts. I thought we'd keep it informal.w Maybe we'd have everyone talk about their light show (size, future growth, features, etc.). Then if they have questions of the group such as building feature, hardware, software, etc. they could ask for our ideas, experiences and opinions. So what do you all think? Also, how about putting together a list of everyone's websites and maybe vendor sites that we have all purchase from? Let me know.