Here's A Cute Santa

I contacted the seller. He's made by TPI (gee, now that I look at him, I should have guessed that - they have such a distinctive style), and he's 40 inches tall. Unfortunately, the shipping is about twice what it should cost to send USPS Parcel Post, anywhere in the country.

But, he is a cutie!

Yes, that is the 38" TPI #4001 Santa with Bear. TPI introduced him as new in 2003, they made him that year and in 2004. In 2004 they also made a blue version.

I sold and shipped several of that Santa around the country between 2003 and 2008 and out of curiosity, using the same box dimensions and weight that I used back then, I checked to see what it would cost me today to ship him from here, north of Seattle, to New York by parcel post. The USPS calculator shows $25.51 by parcel post. The seller on eBay will probably be using a larger box then I did because I cut and made my own boxes to keep the dimentions down as small as possible to save on shipping for the buyers.

Mel

TPIPlastics2003Catalog03s.jpgTPIPlastics2004Catalog06s.jpg

To bad you didnt have one more hidden away Mel, I think I could have made

room for him in the garage.

That $25.51 seems to be the standered rate to ship most molds USPS.

If I purchase a mold from anywhere I have to account for at least that much

in shipping.

I like the friendly inviting faces that the TPI Santas have.

Here is hopeing you find one someday Elaine!

Thanks for the catalog pages, Mel! They are great! You're always a wonderful source of information! I have seen all the other Santa's before, but not the one with the bear and seal. I like that one the best!

As far as the shipping goes, I'm sure it's expensive to ship anything to you, all the way up there in Seattle! ;) When using the USPS shipping calculator, a 6 lb. box, staying under the 108" length plus girth limit, Parcel Post should cost $16.94 to ship that Santa from IL to me here in Florida. Yes, you would probably have to cut a box to size, to something around 15"x18"x40". But, if it's going to save me $15, I say, break out the box cutters! I've received 4 of the 40" Beco choir children by Parcel Post, and everyone of them cost me $16.94 shipping (all were shipped from the northeast or midwest - none from Seattle). And each one was shipped in 2 smaller boxes that were taped together.

I think too many sellers on eBay use a standard shipping amount that will cover shipping anywhere in the country, instead of going to the trouble of using the eBay shipping calculator (which is really easy to use). Since I'm down here in Florida, where you hardly ever find any molds at garage sales or thrift stores, I buy most of mine from eBay. So, I have to watch the shipping.

And, I agree, Deeny, I love the faces on the TPI Santas, very friendly!

To bad you didnt have one more hidden away Mel, I think I could have made

room for him in the garage.

That $25.51 seems to be the standered rate to ship most molds USPS.

If I purchase a mold from anywhere I have to account for at least that much

in shipping.

I like the friendly inviting faces that the TPI Santas have.

Here is hopeing you find one someday Elaine!

I kind of wish I had saved a second one for our collection but I didn't, I shipped the last six to Karen Turner, I think that was in 2008. I bought the blue color version from Daffodils a couple of years ago, I wasn't sure if I would like him very much considering that Santa Claus is traditionaly red, but once he got here I was glad that I got him.

Mel

Thanks for the catalog pages, Mel! They are great! You're always a wonderful source of information! I have seen all the other Santa's before, but not the one with the bear and seal. I like that one the best!

As far as the shipping goes, I'm sure it's expensive to ship anything to you, all the way up there in Seattle! ;) When using the USPS shipping calculator, a 6 lb. box, staying under the 108" length plus girth limit, Parcel Post should cost $16.94 to ship that Santa from IL to me here in Florida. Yes, you would probably have to cut a box to size, to something around 15"x18"x40". But, if it's going to save me $15, I say, break out the box cutters! I've received 4 of the 40" Beco choir children by Parcel Post, and everyone of them cost me $16.94 shipping (all were shipped from the northeast or midwest - none from Seattle). And each one was shipped in 2 smaller boxes that were taped together.

I think too many sellers on eBay use a standard shipping amount that will cover shipping anywhere in the country, instead of going to the trouble of using the eBay shipping calculator (which is really easy to use). Since I'm down here in Florida, where you hardly ever find any molds at garage sales or thrift stores, I buy most of mine from eBay. So, I have to watch the shipping.

And, I agree, Deeny, I love the faces on the TPI Santas, very friendly!

You are welcome, Elaine. One of my TPI favorites for Santa is the Santa with Elves, but then I like them all!

I have often passed on blow molds in eBay auctions because of the high standard shipping amounts that some of the sellers have. I agree that they just figure a price using the farthest point from them and want that from everyone. What really is rediculous to me is the ones that will put up a 40" Santa or snowman and the shipping is $70 or more. Then there are the ones that will only ship by priority mail and won't consider parcel post.

Mel

You are welcome, Elaine. One of my TPI favorites for Santa is the Santa with Elves, but then I like them all!

I have often passed on blow molds in eBay auctions because of the high standard shipping amounts that some of the sellers have. I agree that they just figure a price using the farthest point from them and want that from everyone. What really is rediculous to me is the ones that will put up a 40" Santa or snowman and the shipping is $70 or more. Then there are the ones that will only ship by priority mail and won't consider parcel post.

Mel

Yes, the Priority Mail ones really get me. I've emailed some sellers, and they've added Parcel Post. Others just insist that Priority Mail is "better taken care of" by postal employees, and Parcel Post might not get there! I delivered mail in Suntree, Florida for 2 years. It doesn't work that way!

Unfortunately, shipping is why I haven't made an offer to the seller of the TPI Santa. And most of their blow molds have high shipping, so I haven't bothered sending an email.

Well, it looks like this one is MINE! Funny, I originally created this post just because it's really slow out here lately, and I saw a Santa on eBay that I'd never seen before, and wanted to share. Didn't plan to bid on it because it's a bit expensive and the shipping was too high. This morning I noticed the shipping had dropped by about $10. (Ok, so whose eBay id is kingofblowmolds24? He was obviously listening!) So, I made an offer (was a Buy It Now or Best Offer auction), and got the Santa! :)

Well, it looks like this one is MINE! Funny, I originally created this post just because it's really slow out here lately, and I saw a Santa on eBay that I'd never seen before, and wanted to share. Didn't plan to bid on it because it's a bit expensive and the shipping was too high. This morning I noticed the shipping had dropped by about $10. (Ok, so whose eBay id is kingofblowmolds24? He was obviously listening!) So, I made an offer (was a Buy It Now or Best Offer auction), and got the Santa! :)

Thats Great!!! Congrats!! You will love this santa.