Homemade Triple Stars

Made 2 triple stars from 1/4" low carbon steel rod, which I got from McMaster-Carr, my favorite parts supplier. I cut all the pieces to length, and welded everything. It was quicker than trying to heat up and bend the angles and the end result is about the same. The smallest star is made from 6" pieces, the middle star is made from 9" pieces and the biggest star is made from 12" pieces. Makes the star about 30 1/2" without the pipe. I used 1/2" black pipe for the uprights and milled a 1/4" slot in the pipe to "receive" the stars and then welded them onto the pipe. Painted them flat black.

These will be part of my 2 "shooting-star" poles for our 2011 display:

NewChristmasStars001a.jpg

Brian from Girard

Very nice looking star. I think I may have to steal(er...) borrow your idea.

LOL Ron! :D I am going to add a black pipe union so it is easy to position on my 2" pvc light poles. If you have done some light fab work before - it's a snap to whip them together. I just found a couple of star templates online so I could copy the angles of the "points"(about 37 degress or so). I bought (5) 6' lengths of 1/4" steel rod so I could tape them together and cut 5 pieces at a time on the band saw ( 2 cuts yield an entire star). Tacked 2 pieces at a time (I drew a 37 degree angle on my steel table with a black sharpie marker ) until I had the 5 "points" and then lined them up and welded all the points together - instant stars from the mass production zone!

Brian

• 1 month later...

frost...welding really isn't that hard...keeping the welds neat takes time...but the actual welding...like putting down caulk...except with sparks :)

LOL i wish that were true. My first time trying to fuse peices of metal together was not good and it wasnt welding. I used to work at hvac place and they would make the plenums in 5 pieces so they could lay out a type insulation then put these nail type things with big heads on them through the insulation until it touches the sheet metal. Then they use something and set on the nail and it fuses to the sheet metal and sandwiches them together kinda like a stinger stud welder. Well one day it was slow and i asked if i could try and RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE! It catches fire lol Any type of metal hates my guts! I try not to look at it cross eyed i think its out to get me lol No it wasnt major fire and it didnt do any damage but it sure made me look and feel stupid. I was hopping nobody saw it but everybody did....

Edited by FrostNsnow
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...