Warm White Or Cool White For Animating?

I'm in the initial stages of starting the conversion to LED's and the red and green are easy choices however when it comes to clear I'm stuck. I like the warm feel of the warm white but also like the pop that the cool white gives off. I have a large number of lights so I don't want to make the wrong choice and I know they don't mix the best.

What do you prefer for an animated display; Warm white to Cool white? Why?

Thanks for your input.

Guest Lightzilla

I'm in the initial stages of starting the conversion to LED's and the red and green are easy choices however when it comes to clear I'm stuck. I like the warm feel of the warm white but also like the pop that the cool white gives off. I have a large number of lights so I don't want to make the wrong choice and I know they don't mix the best.

What do you prefer for an animated display; Warm white to Cool white? Why?

Thanks for your input.

Warm white in LEDs is o k. Cool white is good if you have a few thousand of them in a tree, it actually gives of a light purple effect. However I use "Pure white" and they are bright. You can see my "Warm White" LED icicle lights on the house and my "Pure White" LEDs on the fan on the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJ9H5CP3wk&feature=player_detailpage

I personally prefer the cool white LEDs. They give a very crisp effect to the display.

However, I still use warm whites whic for Australian lights are very similar in colour to the clear minis. (Australian clear minis are lower wattage than those in the US and tend to be more yellow.)

On a number of my elements, I have both cool white and warm white. Running these together produces a nice combination which I find a lot of viewers (& myself) really like.

Regards Geoff

On a number of my elements, I have both cool white and warm white. Running these together produces a nice combination which I find a lot of viewers (& myself) really like.

Regards Geoff

WOW I see what you mean about using both cool & warm whites in your show.That looked great together. I always love your shows.You have the perfect location for your creation.

Myself I guess I like the warm white.It tends to be more yellow.The cool white is alot brighter & bothers my eyes if too close.

Below if you look at the 3 color tree that is the cool white & the other is warm white.The LED's were from walmart.

36732_132690806763228_100000669297835_202932_7897612_n.jpg

Sorry that I can't help you with the animating look.This will be my 1st year going LOR.

Our eyes adjust to white so whatever you establish as white will be just so. Some people, as stated above, can't look at pure white too long. Warm white helps make things feel more inviting and "warm" while pure is more intense and often colder.

We used warm white on our icicles and pure on our arches. Emphasizes the latter very nicely.

I am using warm whites so as I transition from incandescent to LED they blend, but I am only doing that for certain effects.

I also have bright white in certain areas and they look good too!

As long as you don't mix incan's and LED's on the same effect you should be fine with whatever you go with.

My .02

Mike.

Guest Lightzilla

i saw a display near me that uses clear incandescent and cool white LEDs together. The result was an interesting silver and gold look.

I sometimes think that people confuse "Cool White" with "Pure White"........"Cool White" has a blueish tint to it, while "Pure White" is a white as pure snow. Sometimes "Cool White" is called "Icy Blue". At least in Canada we have "Warm White, Cool White, Pure White". Some of the "Cool Whites"in LEDs that we have here give off the slight purplish colour when there is a 1000 or more in a tree.

I choose "Pure White" for Canada and the songs I used in 2010.

I often thought of "Cool White" for my Mountain Ash Tree.

I sometimes think that people confuse "Cool White" with "Pure White"........

I'm one of those people. I seen the name "Pure White" but just assumed they were what I was seeing as "Cool White" of a different flavor.

Guest Lightzilla

I'm one of those people. I seen the name "Pure White" but just assumed they were what I was seeing as "Cool White" of a different flavor.

I just found a video that shows the difference between "Cool White" & "Pure White" ........

I sometimes think that people confuse "Cool White" with "Pure White"........"Cool White" has a blueish tint to it, while "Pure White" is a white as pure snow. Sometimes "Cool White" is called "Icy Blue". At least in Canada we have "Warm White, Cool White, Pure White". Some of the "Cool Whites"in LEDs that we have here give off the slight purplish colour when there is a 1000 or more in a tree.

I choose "Pure White" for Canada and the songs I used in 2010.

I often thought of "Cool White" for my Mountain Ash Tree.

I'm not confused. He used cool white. Up against the yellowish incandescent, the contrast was distinct.

Thanks for mentioning that though. As LEDS gain popularity and more varieties are introduced, I hope that the colors and terminology become more standardized.

Edited by Entropy

I know the feeling. I'm in the same boat. I prefer the cool white because of it's pop so that's what I bought this year in my first large purchase of full wave led's from CDI. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to mix incans and led's at all but couldn't afford to replace them all. I hope they'll look ok with the cool whites.

Because I still use a lot of incandescent clears, I'm using warm white as I slowly change over to LED's. They are nearly identical to the clear mini's from a distance. This year more than half of the 24,000 clears I'm using will be the warm white. I love em.

I had to redesign my display because of cool white. I used three channels of it as a fence strung between candy canes. The effect was so bright you couldn't stop looking at it. This meant nobody saw all the real work I put into the rest of my display. I still like the cool white but I would suggest using it carefully, it can be overpowering. I will admit placing it 5 to 15ft from the viewer was a poor choice on my part.

I use warm white for the same reason as others -- the transition from incandescent minis.

I also have red, green, and blue in my show. Note that if you create a white light by turning on red, green, and blue to 100% that you'll get a very cool white blend -- you need to turn the blue down.

I broke down and ordered some warm white while there was still a pre-order. I'll decide when I get them and have a chance to test them what parts to switch. I just have too many lights to be able to switch them all at once. Like many things, this will have to be tackled over a number of years.