Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

How to get started making wooden cutouts?

FandomFilms wrote:

Your Snoopy's are all great. I had to say OMG to the snoopy on the house... I LOVE IT! The wife thought it was really cool. How in the heck do you keep that thing up there. We have such strong winds by my house.

I'll try to use the attached pictures to explain how I mounted the Snoopy on top of my garage. I made a couple of brackets that sat on the peak of the roof. These consited of a ~8-9" 90-degree metal angle bracket from Home Depot bent to the same angle as the roof pitch. On top of the bracket, I attached a small piece of pipe that acted as a receptacle for a smaller diameter pipe (attached to the back of the cutout). I lined the underside of these with rubber stair tread material to keep from gouging into the shingles. The brackets and pipes were all painted black, as was the stair tread, not red like in my picture. Hopefully the diagram explains this better. As for the cutout itself, as I mentioned, a smaller diameter pipe was attached at each end. The bottom end of the pipe fit into the brackets on the roof, while I attached guy-lines to the top of the pipe. The (black) ropes were then tied off in 4 directions to eye-bolts placed in my eaves and/or fence. This setup worked quite well, and was very sturdy. I actually fell into it once while placing the last few lights on the roof, and it held my full weight without a problem. I'd think it should be able to stand up to Chicago winds, but you'd have to try it to be sure. I went tocollege a couple of hours from Chicago and made it up there a few times, so I have experienced the wind you are talking about.

post-326-129570964265_thumb.jpg

The 'Snoopy" idea is really cool and looks even better in the picture. I was looking for something to add to my backyard shed and that would work just perfectly! Where did you get the design or did you "freehand" it? I would have to make it rather large in order for anyone to see it from the front yard, though.

I am a bit insecure on my artistic abilities and would enjoy adding the Snoopy to my display if you don't mind ('copycating' is a sincere form af admiration, of course!:D)

Mike DuPlayee wrote:

Where did you get the design or did you "freehand" it? I would have to make it rather large in order for anyone to see it from the front yard, though.

I found several pictures of Snoopy on his doghouse on the internet andcombined them into one that I felt had the right proportions all around. I then scaled that in MS Paint and printed it onto graph/grid paper and did the grid enlargement method to transfer it onto the plywood. As for the size, mine is 7' long and 4-5' tall, which may or may not meet your definition of "rather large." I may stillhave the computer file(s) for the design I could send you, PM me if interested.

i use reguler plywood (the cheap kind) and cut out what i want and draw on the wood lightly with a pencil what it will look like an then paint it with OUTDOOR paint and put on at least 2 coats:tree::santa::snowman::rudolph::smilingelf::ornament::cryingsong::happytree:

• 1 month later...

BetterDays wrote:

What about spray paint? Any concerns and has anyone done it that way (NOT stained glass paint, but regular spray paint)

Thanks!

Kevin

I have used spray paint. Even the sealer was spray paint. Didn't have any problems...just make sure it is for outdoor use and for wood.

Somthing I forgot to add when I posted a reply earlier this year about getting started. When I first started working where I am work now, the big impact printers we used had mylaror cloth ribbons. The mylar was a film coated with carbon kind of like some of the old typewriter ribbons, except they were about 14 inch WX 30 yards L, I think. Anyway I started saving them and bringing them home after they would be too worn to use anymore. Sometimes they would rip out the staples on the end of the roll if the reverse lever did not work so I had some almost brand new rolls. I can use these just like carbon paper. 4 strips the length of the plywood would work for all my projects for the year. If you roll it back up and seal it after use it would still be good the next time you used it. Just don't leave it exposed to the air for more than a couple of days at a time. If you know someone that does a lot of mainframe printing with the old impact printers you might could ask them if they use the mylar ribbons and if there would be any trouble getting some. Also if you contacted a computer paper supply house, they may carry them and could be a lot cheaper than buying the carbon paper from the craft stores.

• 2 months later...

Good thread for newbies. Thanks for the contributions.

I've taken all the hints and have almost completed my cutouts. One last remaining question is whether to use a sealer or not.

My cutouts have 2 coats of primer followed with 2 coats of craft acrylic and/or exterior grade paint. This includes the cutout's top, bottom, and sides. I primarily use the exterior grade paint, but I do use the craft acrylic for detail colors where I only need small amounts. I want to ensure my efforts last for some time, both in ease of cleanup and not requiring touchup.

- Should I use a sealer? What would a sealer provide vs not using a sealer.

- If so, what brand/kind? I note polyurethane and polycrylic yellow over time, both the oil and water-based varieties. I did find something called Hydrocote Polyshield which advertises as non-yellowing, though I'm not sure if this is true: http://hydrocote.com/our_products.htm

dallasmike

Here our ground, when it gets wet in the winter, can get muddy. When it rains hard the mud can splash up on to our display pieces, like this year,I really had to clean my inflatables off after Halloween.So with that in mind, when Imade my cut out pieces I put a sealer on. That way when they got dirty, I could just clean them off as easy as can be. Now on a lot of pieces a little dirt showing might notmatter but on a snowman, that you want white, it might make a difference to you if it gets a little dirty. Some paint will wash off well, others can have a little stain leftbehind.

Also my pieces set close to the street, ifwe have sleet orsnow, then the salt trucks come down the street and that salt gets sprayed onto the pieces. Not a good thing for paint. So the sealer protects the paint job.

With you in TX, you might not have this kind of problem. Not only no salt, but ifyou just have sandy soil that washes off with just a hose, then you might be able to just go without a sealer.

If you have a lot of rain though and to tell you the truth the sun can also fade some paints...well that would be up to you if you want to seal to protect. The worse that will happen is that they might be a little worse for wear at the end of the season and you might have to do some touch up, next year,but really for this year,you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh and also...do keep in mind trouble with some animals...for instance the birds around here eat the berries on some of the bushes andwell let us just say, that red/purple...it will stain.

I used PLAID folkart Outdoor Satin Sealer. It is non yellowing, my pieces are 3 or 4 years old and still look nice, (though I am not using them this year and have given them to a friend, but I did see them the other day)very durable and it goes on very easily, kind of like Elmers Glue. No brush strokes show (though I prefer a sponge brush)...just seems to work nicely on pieces.Not a strong smell to it, but not a great smell either, so it is ok for using indoors. Dries prettyfast, cleans up with soap and water.They sell it at Craft Stores.

I also used a spray sealer bought at the craft store, but off the top of my head can't remember the name of it...they usually have that kind of thing where the wood cutouts and shapes are in the store. The only thing with the spray was using it outdoors...ok, on a nice day...but not a cold, wet or windy day. Also I did have more trouble seeing where I had sprayed whereas with the brush it is easy to spot.