Is anyone planning a Minnesota Minnie event this year? I would like to see some of you again and haven't been to one for a long long time. I need to get soem ideas for my display this year. I had to sell most of my stuff a few years back including my house and so I kind of have a clean slate to work with. My new job should give me enough money to get going again this year. It was depressing to not have a big display but things are finally looking up.

Does anyone know if that father and son duo of John and John still decorate? You remember the guys with the pink flamingos? It's been a long time...

Any way if there is an event in the Twin cities this year I hope to be there.

Is anyone planning a Minnesota Minnie event this year? I would like to see some of you again and haven't been to one for a long long time. I need to get soem ideas for my display this year. I had to sell most of my stuff a few years back including my house and so I kind of have a clean slate to work with. My new job should give me enough money to get going again this year. It was depressing to not have a big display but things are finally looking up.

Does anyone know if that father and son duo of John and John still decorate? You remember the guys with the pink flamingos? It's been a long time...

Any way if there is an event in the Twin cities this year I hope to be there.

Garry in Brooten MN has hosted a spring mini the last couple of years, I went last year. I think he mostly posts in the DIY website but I'm sur he'll post here too if he is having it again. It was quite a hike, but was a good time. As to John and John; no idea.

Garry in Brooten MN has hosted a spring mini the last couple of years, I went last year. I think he mostly posts in the DIY website but I'm sur he'll post here too if he is having it again. It was quite a hike, but was a good time. As to John and John; no idea.

Thanks Mike. I have only been to two minis and they were a long time ago one was at John Jr.s place and the other was at Tim Fisher on the west side. Then I was forced to get out of the hoby for awhile. It will be good to decorate again. Even though the weather has me thinking about summer fun not lights ha ha.

-Bobby

Sounds like no body is interested in a MN Minnie this year. That is too bad I was hoping to catch up with some old friends and meet some new friends. I was hoping to have a sell and trade event too as I am pretty much starting from scratch this year I have so many thots and dreams and only a little money to make it happen. It is hard to come from a big display and then have to sell it off and lose everything and start over from scratch. But I am not complaining things are looking up for Bobby Menard and the past is the past, and the future is the britest its been iin a long time.

-Bobby

Sorry for not reply recently!

Our internet service has been down since Tuesday, as well as the electricity and phone service on and off.

Just a rural Minnesotan thing!

Mid morning is 10’ish does that help?

Please RSVP as I need to order the food???

For those looking forward to lutefisk lunch, I have dug up/found some lutefisk frozen TV dinners!!

The date code says they are only 18 years old, but that is okay as they never go bad!

At least you can not tell by the smell?

They are not being kept at our home because it draws all of the cats for miles around.

You will have to make a special request for the TV dinners.

I than will give you directions too where the secret storage is located.

If all that does not work here are the directions:

Direction: Find Belgrade, MN 56312, it is on Hwy 55 and US Hwy 71. Go south out of Belgrade on US Hwy 71 for about 4 � miles, look for cty road 34 which goes west/right, stay on cty road 34 for about 4 miles until you get to a STOP sign on cty road 34 and 5.Go diagonally across cty road 5 on to a dirt road (270th Ave), follow the dirt road for about 1 � miles over the hills, through the woods, and around a lake, we are on top of the hill, the right side/north between the road and lake with pine trees along the road in front of our home. Our address is 5840-270th Ave NW, Brooten, MN 56316. Our home phone number is 320-346-2899. Cell phones do not work well out here if at all.

Sounds like no body is interested in a MN Minnie this year. That is too bad I was hoping to catch up with some old friends and meet some new friends. I was hoping to have a sell and trade event too as I am pretty much starting from scratch this year I have so many thots and dreams and only a little money to make it happen. It is hard to come from a big display and then have to sell it off and lose everything and start over from scratch. But I am not complaining things are looking up for Bobby Menard and the past is the past, and the future is the britest its been iin a long time.

-Bobby

Bobby, I wouldn't give up on a MN Mini just yet. The last Spring Mini was at the end of May so that is still a long way off. I quoted Garry's directions / phone number above. He had has held the last 2 minis at least. He is very easy to talk with and would probably appreciate a phone call from you just to chat about a mini If a decision is reached, I'm sure that separate threads here, DIY, LOR, etc. would be good to get the word out.

I hosted the fall MN mini last year, and I would be willing to host one again in the this year. (But I've got too much going on this spring / early summer to host anything until late summer / fall - Hopefully earlier so we don't run into setup like last year )

-Mark

I hosted the fall MN mini last year, and I would be willing to host one again in the this year. (But I've got too much going on this spring / early summer to host anything until late summer / fall - Hopefully earlier so we don't run into setup like last year )

-Mark

I should have said that Garry hosted the last 2 spring minis. I didn't make it to the fall mini at your place. As George Simmons said, I really can't afford to give up a nice fall weekend to talk about Christmas lights when I know that I should be doing Christmas lights. Prior to Sept - Oct, I'm pretty open.

All,

As newbie, I'd like the opportunity to meet with other enthusiasts. Between full time job, operating a non profit, and planning my light display--i don't always make it to all the forums. If there is a get together you can email me directly at

[email protected]

after a great first year i look forward to 2011! 8000 lights and 16 channels moving to 20,000 lights 64 channels!

i am ready to join the "just another string of lights" club!

mike

All,

As newbie, I'd like the opportunity to meet with other enthusiasts. Between full time job, operating a non profit, and planning my light display--i don't always make it to all the forums. If there is a get together you can email me directly at

[email protected]

after a great first year i look forward to 2011! 8000 lights and 16 channels moving to 20,000 lights 64 channels!

i am ready to join the "just another string of lights" club!

mike

Hi Mike,

Wow! Your first post. Welcome to PC!! This is a great place to learn how to improve / build on your display, so ask lots of questions. But ask them early. But ask them early, because if you wait until the fall, many here are busy fighting their own fires. I'm thinking that the best way to know about any MN get togethers is to check this thread and/or the MN forum for threads about a get together.

Again, Welcome!

• 2 months later...

I hang out most of the time at DIYC, but I thought perhaps this might have some traction here, too... We'll see how it goes... This is a copy of a posting on DIYC's site about a Minnesota Mini....

Okay... seems like there's enough interest (2 people ) to throw this out there. I'll be glad to host a mini at my house and be the general organizer for it, but we need to know whether we should do it later this summer (August 2011) or next spring (April/May 2012). I live in Plymouth, MN; it's a suburb on the western edge of Minneapolis. A Days Inn and Red Roof Inn are quite close if you need accommodations; a Radisson and Hilton is also available if you have a need to spend a lot more money...

Here are a few organizational things I have in mind for it... feel free to add your own suggestions but bear in mind, the overriding goals are:

(1) to keep it simple,

(2) to have fun,

(3) to gather ideas that you can take with you when you leave.

* The mini would be one day in duration unless you determine it should be a day-and-a-half. It is not the intent to stage a sleep-in at DIGWDF... A 1-day would be on a Saturday; a 1-1/2 day would start on Friday late afternoon and spill over to Saturday. No specific ending time Saturday night...

* There is no fee to attend the mini. Food: BYOF or burgers/brats/dogs will be provided but you cook your own on the gas barbecue... Beverages will be provided by DIGWDF (Dirknerkle's Inventorium and Generally Worthless Device Factory...)

* There would be no sponsorship and therefore, no advertising or arm-twisting by commercial enterprises. However, attendees would be allowed to sell or trade their wares if they are so inclined, although the intent of the mini is not to host a flea market...

* Attendees would be asked to bring something blinky-flashy along -- each attendee would be allocated 15 minutes to present his/her stuff, problem or whatever. It could be a plan, layout, equipment, concepts, firmware, circuit boards, display items, or what-have-you. A presentation outline would be provided to all attendees to help you organize your thoughts.

* Attendees would be asked to bring a blinky-flashy problem or issue they have (if any) and it's the hope that group discussion can help solve them. If it's with electronics, bring it along and we'll see what transpires. If it's firmware, bring your laptop. If you don't have a laptop, bring it on a flash drive and you can use one of mine.

* A LCD projector and screen/wall/whatever is available, as will be a solder station, oscilliscope and other common blinky-flashy building tools in case they're needed.

* Ample one-on-one general discussion/conversation time will be scheduled.

* Appropriate attire is required, including the understanding that my son's bulldog likes to nose around and meet people... be forewarned that bulldogs drool a lot...

With the above in mind, please indicate the following via either a posting or send me a PM:

1. Do it in August 2011 or April/May 2012?

2. One day (Sat only) or 1-1/2 days (Fri-Sat)?

3. What time of the day to start?

4. How many in your party if you choose to come?

5. If you choose not to come, please tell me why.

6. Any suggestions you may have.

That's all I've got for now...

Edited by dirknerkle

I am open / interested in this August or next spring. I vote for a one day event so as to not take the entire weekend. Not that Christmas Lights aren't my life, but there are some other things I do. August is coming up, so we'll have to get ont he stick if we are going to do it then.

OKAY -- IT'S ALL SET -- HERE'S THE INFORMATION ALL ATTENDEES NEED TO KNOW

Minnesota Mini 2011

When : Saturday, August 20th 2011

Where: DIGWDF - 14910 47th Ave N, Plymouth, MN 55446 (see attached map - the balloon marked A is the place)

(DIGWDF = Dirknerkle's Inventorium and Generally Worthless Device Factory)

Arrival/Registration/Setup: 8:00-9:00 a.m. There are no fees and we ask that you arrive early enough so we can all start on time. Free, official Minnesota Mini t-shirts for the first dozen registrants (sizes L-X-XX available - Minnesotans don't come in medium sizes)

Start: 9:00 a.m. We will start on time; don't be late!

End: 9:00 p.m.(or earlier, we'll see how it goes...)

What the day will look like/What to bring:

* The success of the mini is completely dependent on attendee participation; therefore, there are some expectations of all attendees. A couple that attends is considered one attendee, although if both want to participate, that's great!

* A smile and willingness to share. The smile may be difficult for some of you (especially if you're Lutheran) but the willingness to share shouldn't be so tough to muster.

* Each attendee is expected to bring something "blinky-flashy" to show or explain to the group. It can be electronics, hardware, a display piece, or a design or software-related item -- just something that you're doing or using this year. If it's too big or difficult to transport, appropriate photos are a great substitute. You will be given a 15-minute period to present your stuff to the group. You can select your desired presentation time slot at registration. An easel/white board, PC (with Microsoft Office 2007, Vixen and LightShowPro) and video projector will be available if you wish to use them in your presentation. If you have things you need to assemble, please plan to arrive a bit early for setup (8-9 a.m.) All presentations will be in the morning. Printed materials/handouts are highly encouraged; consider providing documentation in computer PDF, Word, PowerPoint or Excel file formats which attendees may copy. A presentation worksheet is available (below) to help you organize your thoughts.

* Each attendee is expected to bring a "blinky-flashy" issue or problem he/she has for group discussion. Again, we'll limit discussion to not more than 15 minutes per item. Problems can be big or small -- no unsolved issue is unimportant. The group problem solving session will be in the early afternoon immediately after lunch.

* Mid-afternoon and later: open forum face-time, individual discussions, construction, whatever. Some hand and power tools, soldering station, etc. will be available if needed.

Product sales/swaps: though the main purpose of the mini is fun idea sharing, if you have products that you want to sell or swap, you may certainly bring them along and do business during the afternoon open forum session. The mini is not sponsored so there will be no boring, arm-twisting sales presentations by overbearing sales personnel.

Food: of course and in the truest Minnesota tradition, coffee, juice and donuts will be provided in the morning! Lunch -- burgers/dogs/brats, chips, lemonade, etc. on the grill... you can cook your own or take your chances... If the Mini is still going strong in the late afternoon, we'll order pizza for dinner. Food courtesy of DIGWDF.

What to wear: The average August temperature in Minneapolis ranges from 65-85F and it can be quite humid. (And no, it's not exactly true that Minnesotans wear winter clothing year 'round -- we just like to say that we do!). Jeans/shorts/t-shirts are always appropriate. Ballroom gowns and tuxedos are optional, wear at your own risk. Bruce, my son's bulldog may be roaming around and remember that bulldogs tend to drool so expensive alligator, suede or expensive shoes are probably not a good idea.

Cameras/video: The use of personal cameras is encouraged. The mini will not be officially recorded on video, so if you want video, you're on your own.

Flash Drives/CDs/DVDs: bring your own portable media if you wish to make copies of any data or other computer files that may be provided by other attendees. You may use the provided PC to make copies. A paper copier is not available.

Questions/concerns/comments/cricitisms/etc. are welcomed - send me a PM and we'll take it from there. Map to DIGWDF and the worksheet are below...

AND OF COURSE -- WISCONSINITES ARE WELCOMED!!!

Minnesota Mini Presentation Worksheet.pdf

post-9589-0-97307800-1309788318_thumb.jp

Edited by dirknerkle

I look forward to attending!

That would be great! I have no idea how many will be attending, so I'll post an informal RSVP here in early August. It's too early to ask folks to lock themselves in. I think there are a number of DIYC folks coming, and I have no idea if any other LOR users will be there, and we doityourselfers would love to learn more about LOR! Look forward to meeting you!

-dave

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier in the thread I said I'd be attending, but now it looks like that might be the only window for an out-of-state family vacation. If I'm in town I'll definitely be there, but now that's looking less likely. I was looking forward to it too...

IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND THE 2011 MINNESOTA MINI...

Here's a link to the original posting that highlights how the day will look, where it is, etc.

My link

Now I need to know commitments so I can finalize plans, make sure you have a place to sit, food, etc. So please either send me an email to dave?clubdata.com (replacing the ? with the @ sign) or post your intention here... I need to know the following information:

1. Who you are -- your PC or DIYC user name.

2. How many are coming with you. (Including names is optional)

3. What your presentation topic (if any) will be about.

4. What your "problem issue" (if any) is about.

5. Any special presentation things you'll need (a PC, digital projector, whiteboard, etc is available)

Wi-Fi and/or wired Internet access will also be available.

Hello all,

Sorry for being so quiet but this spring & summer have been real business and many family things going on. We (2) will try and attend the August 20th lighting mini but will not know for sure until middle of that week. We are still out doing shows and the weather has been making things difficult this year.

Have you posted anything about this mini over on the LOR forum?

There is a good choreographer that has a great light show over there from St. Cloud area that was kind enough to do a few seminars on the LOR system as he is a beta tester for LOR. He only watches the LOR forum so maybe does not know about this mini. His name is George.

There are 4 other people here in our area that setup very large displays and I will see if they want to attend or at least I will let them know about this meeting.

Garry & Georgia

I sent George a PM on the LOR forum just so he would be aware of it. I also tried to see if there was already a thread for the mini there, but I apparently don't know where they post that kind of stuff there.

I would have posted something there but I don't have access to it.... Current body count is about 10. If you are planning to come, please RSVP via email so that I can plan food, chairs, etc. Please send a note to: dave?clubdata.com (where ? is replaced with the @ sign) and tell me who you are and how many are coming. Thanks in advance!!!

-dave

Edited by dirknerkle