Hi all:

That was not the point of $1.00 yes I could have down loaded them and spent the time to convert them. But I have helped a lot of people with sequences and mp3 files and never did I ever say no or are you to cheep. Remmber the three rules we are here to help each other and to be here for each other and help everyone with thier displays and answer questions. But dont worry I got the files...

Thanks

Don In Kenner-LA :wacko:

Hi all:

That was not the point of $1.00 yes I could have down loaded them and spent the time to convert them. But I have helped a lot of people with sequences and mp3 files and never did I ever say no or are you to cheep. Remmber the three rules we are here to help each other and to be here for each other and help everyone with thier displays and answer questions. But dont worry I got the files...

Thanks

Yes, it is to help. But, Chuck has also mentioned numerous times not to ask for music in these forums. Plus these are the 3 rules "We're positive, family friendly and Christmas centric."

It doesn't say in the rules we have to help each other. I am a musician and it bugs me when people ask for free music. Just as if some software developer had people asking for their software for free.

Hi all:

Thanks

So helping people out by stealing from someone else is the planet christmas way? A guy down the street has some L E D's in a bush yet - anyone want them?

-Bobby

Hi first of all I use I tunes for my music purchases . But right now Iam still behind the 8 ball and still trying to recover from my house being robbed. I lost over 30,000 including my computers and my laptop smashed. I had over 3000 mp3 files which I had purchased over the years all lost.I also loved putting my display on camera and showing the rest of planet Christmas my display but I could not this year because my video camera and editing software was stolen. Iam sorry if I was asking for just a little help I do not put on a display for profit or gain. I just do it to see the faces of the children and people who come by to see it which is plenty of payment. Iam sure nobody here is trying to rip off a artist by using a song for a personal display.

Don In Kenner la

So helping people out by stealing from someone else is the planet christmas way? A guy down the street has some L E D's in a bush yet - anyone want them?

-Bobby

First of all that comment is just plain dumb and I will not comment any more on this subject I really can't belive the flaming going on here iam just plain have

Loss of words. Don't worry I will not ask for anymore help.

Don

Hi Don I am sorry you felt I was offending you I was just tryuing to use a little humor to make a point. Just as you were wronged when someone riped you off by stealing from you, it is wrong to steal from artists. Even if its only a dollar and 'every one is doing it' doesn't amke it right. I am sure deep down your a good guy and did not mean to pubicly embarass you. Have a wonderful day and no hard feelings oK?

-Bobby

First of all that comment is just plain dumb and I will not comment any more on this subject I really can't belive the flaming going on here iam just plain have

Loss of words. Don't worry I will not ask for anymore help.

Don

Ask for help, just don't ask for someone to give you music for free when it can be bought.

Hi first of all I use I tunes for my music purchases . But right now Iam still behind the 8 ball and still trying to recover from my house being robbed. I lost over 30,000 including my computers and my laptop smashed. I had over 3000 mp3 files which I had purchased over the years all lost.I also loved putting my display on camera and showing the rest of planet Christmas my display but I could not this year because my video camera and editing software was stolen. Iam sorry if I was asking for just a little help I do not put on a display for profit or gain. I just do it to see the faces of the children and people who come by to see it which is plenty of payment. Iam sure nobody here is trying to rip off a artist by using a song for a personal display.

Don In Kenner la

Don -

I'm sorry to hear of the theft. However, your iTunes account should have a record of what you;ve purchased and allow you to re-download the .mp3 files at no additional charge.

Please keep it legal. The record labels are hammering the ISPs with administrative subpoenas demanding subscriber account information on those they believe have been doing illegal file sharing. I've got several subpoenas I have to process, even though we are fighting (through the court system) turning over that information.

Just to give you an idea how the record companies will pursue this, no matter how ridiculous,

http://www.cultivatemedia.co.uk/blog/2011/March/judge-laughs-75-trillion-dollar-suit-against-limewire-out-of-court

A group of 13 record companies are currently in the process of suing peer 2 peer file sharing platform Limewire, for what the collective of companies claim to be losses between $400 Billion and $75 Trillion dollars.

They (and their lawyers) see a substantial amount of money in pursuing what they percieve to be illegal file sharing.

So please, keep it legal. If you already have the license to use the music as provided by iTunes, get it from them again.

I don't want to get off topic but, you don't happen to have an address for the LEDs in the bush?

I think in April they became community property, standard (finders/ keepers) rules apply.

Ha it has been a bad year in MN just a few weeks ago that bush was totally buried in snow and ice and had been since mid december so he really has only been lazy for a couple of weeks. I miss doing a display for a few years but am kind of glad I did not have to mess wit it this year.

-Bobby

Ohh yea.

Sometime I forget that April doesn't mean 90 to 100 degrees everywhere.

Well... keep an eye out for that thaw and be ready to move. Snow or not you can't fight finders/ keepers, it's the law.

You have to know the law, and I believe that's half the battle.

Guest Lightzilla

I am a musician and it bugs me when people ask for free music. Just as if some software developer had people asking for their software for free.

Does it bug you that people make a video of their display with a song in it and post it on You Tube? Would that be considered another copy? I thought I would ask because you are a musician. I noticed that YouTube does remove music from the videos do to some kind of copyright law. That really got me to thinking and I wonder if we are breaking the law when we make a video of our display with a copyrighted song in it. I am for people buying the song but there must be a reason that record companies ask that the music be pulled from a video of someones display that is posted on YouTube.

If we are going to hold up the "buy the song" (do not steal) law then we should hold up any other law that is wrapped around this. I decided to go the "ask permission route" to use the song & to make a video of my display with the copy right song in it to post on YouTube or Vimeo (1 or the other). Gives me some peace of mind and a chance to help out a new recording artist. Below is part of an email I got from a fairly large recording place that make curriculum & adventure stories for children to learn and they include music they make in the adventure shows.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi Scott,...................

.....................We were delighted that you could use our music in your displays, and it was nice for you to get permission, music does get ‘stolen’ these days and we have found our songs on free music file sharing sites which is annoying.

*******************************************************************************************************************

So yes they get "annoyed" when songs are shared for free, but they like it when you ask as well. Other recording artists song writers have stated that via email to me.

Does it bug you that people make a video of their display with a song in it and post it on You Tube? Would that be considered another copy? I thought I would ask because you are a musician. I noticed that YouTube does remove music from the videos do to some kind of copyright law. That really got me to thinking and I wonder if we are breaking the law when we make a video of our display with a copyrighted song in it. I am for people buying the song but there must be a reason that record companies ask that the music be pulled from a video of someones display that is posted on YouTube.

If we are going to hold up the "buy the song" (do not steal) law then we should hold up any other law that is wrapped around this. I decided to go the "ask permission route" to use the song & to make a video of my display with the copy right song in it to post on YouTube or Vimeo (1 or the other). Gives me some peace of mind and a chance to help out a new recording artist. Below is part of an email I got from a fairly large recording place that make curriculum & adventure stories for children to learn and they include music they make in the adventure shows.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

.....................We were delighted that you could use our music in your displays, and it was nice for you to get permission, music does get ‘stolen’ these days and we have found our songs on free music file sharing sites which is annoying.

*******************************************************************************************************************

So yes they get "annoyed" when songs are shared for free, but they like it when you ask as well. Other recording artists song writers have stated that via email to me.

I have never understood why the songs are pulled from youtube. Perhaps youtube is making money from these. My band hasn't put out CD's but we have to pay fees in order to play in a money making venue. We cannot just rip these songs off a CD and then play them when we learn them. If I had a cd out and 1 person bought that 1 cd and then shared it with 10 other people who used that song in their display, yes it would bother me. If those same 10 people bought that and own it, then no, it wouldn't bother me. Now if they were charging for people to see their display, even though they owned that cd, it would bother me.

You DO NOT need to get permission to use a song on your YouTube videos. It's called "Fair Use" and it's perfectly within the laws as long as it is for your own personal use (ie. your personal display on your home) and not for profit (you are NOT benefiting in any way by using the song). There is a post on PC somewhere that talks about this. Someone had a song pulled on YouTube, but when he contested it stating it fell within the "fair use" law, YouTube quickly put it back up.

Also, putting a song on YouTube is NOT file sharing. Again, you DO NOT need permission to use a song on YouTube, unless you plan to use it for anything other than personal use.

Don -

I'm sorry to hear of the theft. However, your iTunes account should have a record of what you;ve purchased and allow you to re-download the .mp3 files at no additional charge.

Please keep it legal. The record labels are hammering the ISPs with administrative subpoenas demanding subscriber account information on those they believe have been doing illegal file sharing. I've got several subpoenas I have to process, even though we are fighting (through the court system) turning over that information.

Just to give you an idea how the record companies will pursue this, no matter how ridiculous,

http://www.cultivatemedia.co.uk/blog/2011/March/judge-laughs-75-trillion-dollar-suit-against-limewire-out-of-court

A group of 13 record companies are currently in the process of suing peer 2 peer file sharing platform Limewire, for what the collective of companies claim to be losses between $400 Billion and $75 Trillion dollars.

They (and their lawyers) see a substantial amount of money in pursuing what they percieve to be illegal file sharing.

So please, keep it legal. If you already have the license to use the music as provided by iTunes, get it from them again.

BINGO! You DO NOT need to buy ANY of your old MP3 files you paid for and downloaded off iTunes again. They have a record of your purchases, and you can just download them again for free! Once you paid for them, you own that copy! No need to ask anyone for their MP3 files just because your stuff was stolen!

Ok so there is record he own's the tune. So if he got it from else where whats the issue? He already owned the song.

I can make a thousand copies of song, (not sure why I would). And I can maintain and use that song for my own personal use, or have folks over and listen to the song, all i want. And I can play it out doors for everyone to enjoy, and some are going to bring me a beer to enjoy while we sit and listen to a copy of a song I purchased, (oh oh, I think i just profited from my song).

Now, my orginal copy disapeared years ago. and a freak emp pulse wipes me out. But a friend of mine had a back up copy of most of my tunes stored at his house for me on a compurer drive.

So whats the issue. I purchased the music some time over my 40yrs of music collection.

So what about the gift of music? If I purchase a cd / dvd and give it to my son, who then inivites people over to share the music movie with, and they give him a beer while they listen to or watch (he benefited). Can he be charged as he did not purchase the rights to the music. Can I be held liable for illeagle distribution of copyrighted materials by giving some one a gift? Oh forgot to mention it was a real good cd, so I made a copy for myself, see I purchased the CD / DVD.

He just wanted 2 music files, that he already owned the rights to. Requesting the same version he had purchased, Not from a different artist, as he already provided a specific artist with his royalty to be in posession of that song,

Nuff said, I honestly cound not believe the pounding you folks handed out.

Ok so there is record he own's the tune. So if he got it from else where whats the issue? He already owned the song.

I can make a thousand copies of song, (not sure why I would). And I can maintain and use that song for my own personal use, or have folks over and listen to the song, all i want. And I can play it out doors for everyone to enjoy, and some are going to bring me a beer to enjoy while we sit and listen to a copy of a song I purchased, (oh oh, I think i just profited from my song).

Now, my orginal copy disapeared years ago. and a freak emp pulse wipes me out. But a friend of mine had a back up copy of most of my tunes stored at his house for me on a compurer drive.

So whats the issue. I purchased the music some time over my 40yrs of music collection.

So what about the gift of music? If I purchase a cd / dvd and give it to my son, who then inivites people over to share the music movie with, and they give him a beer while they listen to or watch (he benefited). Can he be charged as he did not purchase the rights to the music. Can I be held liable for illeagle distribution of copyrighted materials by giving some one a gift? Oh forgot to mention it was a real good cd, so I made a copy for myself, see I purchased the CD / DVD.

He just wanted 2 music files, that he already owned the rights to. Requesting the same version he had purchased, Not from a different artist, as he already provided a specific artist with his royalty to be in posession of that song,

Nuff said, I honestly cound not believe the pounding you folks handed out.

I think you people really need to learn copyright laws.

"I can make a thousand copies of song, (not sure why I would). And I can maintain and use that song for my own personal use, or have folks over and listen to the song, all i want. And I can play it out doors for everyone to enjoy, and some are going to bring me a beer to enjoy while we sit and listen to a copy of a song I purchased, (oh oh, I think i just profited from my song). " Perfectly legal

"Now, my orginal copy disapeared years ago. and a freak emp pulse wipes me out. But a friend of mine had a back up copy of most of my tunes stored at his house for me on a compurer drive. So whats the issue. I purchased the music some time over my 40yrs of music collection. " Not legal, friend purchased songs not you. This is the same as P2P sharing. You didn't buy the music, ripping off musicians.

"So what about the gift of music? If I purchase a cd / dvd and give it to my son, who then inivites people over to share the music movie with, and they give him a beer while they listen to or watch (he benefited). Can he be charged as he did not purchase the rights to the music.Can I be held liable for illeagle distribution of copyrighted materials by giving some one a gift? No, you purchased the cd/dvd , what you do with it is up to you. Oh forgot to mention it was a real good cd, so I made a copy for myself, see I purchased the CD / DVD. " This is illegal, ripping off again.

Is just gets me when people can put all kinds of money in to LOR and thousands of lights but can't spend a lousy buck to legally buy a song. If sharing is going on with this site and gets reported, the site could be shut down. Then would that make all of you who think it's fine to share music happy.

The solution is very simple, like Chuck said, just buy the music and don't ask for it for free.

Edited by JerryK