Getting few more circuits has already been discussed with electrician and im running wire and everything (whole downstairs needed to be rewired so everything is planned out and ready to go) all he has to do is snap in breaker he says 80 bucks. Is that expensive or what? To me 10 minutes worth of work and 80 bucks sounds high just to install one breaker. I know how to do it i mean i know the basics but theres just that voice that says "You aint done this before bubba NO TOUCH!" I just wish i could save 80 bucks i could put towards something else....Is 80 bucks right price?

Edited by FrostNsnow

Is he supplying the breaker? I'd say it's a bit high if you bought the breaker - although I wouldn't recommend doing it if you never have. I've pulled meter heads off live and didn't even see a spark (I shut down EVERYTHING in the house so there was no current draw). Just hate to see ya get hurt if you have no training/experience inside a residential breaker panel. If you watch him - you'll see it's pretty easy though...

It is very simple and quick for an experienced Electrician.

However if you don't know how you might not want to.

But if you choose to do it yourself turn off the main breaker to your panel before you start. Do all your connections with the panel off and don't turn it on till your all done.

You could look into hiring an electrician or handyman that works under the table. They typically charge $20-$40 per hour. Probably minimum 1hr.

Putting in breakers is really easy. Most are made so that it's difficult to do wrong. Keep you hands out of anything shinny and you'll be ok.

Once you’re done you'll think, "Is that it? I was going to pay $80 for that."

Remember everything you've ever done you had to do the first time once.

I have cut off at main to subpanel and cut off at subpanel i could lick the wires in subpanel if i wanted too JOKING! I never do that PERIOD! Heres the thing i have watched and watched over the years and they do it so fast i miss it! lol I know white wire goes to neutral bar and hot goes to breaker and ground goes to ground bar but heres what gets me what kind of breaker do i buy? And snapping it in...I just dont get it. I have family comming up this easter and hes retired electrician but wont do work on anyones house b/c i guess hes not bonded and all and if something did go wrong he would feel horrible but maybe he could walk me through it. What i want to ask is whats the worst thing that can go wrong besides fire or death? Can i lose power in the worst way? Like ya guys say once you have a few times under your belt its second nature KINDA :) It aint nothing for me to get shocked believe me in hvac i have been nailed more times then i want to admit to. I remember hearing "Oh 220volt just knock ya off heheh" Thats a lie! Id rather eat 120volts ever get pinned to 220volts....Yeah not fun it hurts LONGER! Im surprised im still alive. I guess its better if i call electrician the more i think about it. I like my body parts just were they are lol This sucks i have to pay 80 BUCKS! I need to ask though if includes breaker like ya said.

Edited by FrostNsnow

You know the basics. I'd try it if I were you.

Save the $80.

As for what breaker you need, go to home depot and tell them you need a breaker for your panel and tell them what make it is. It will be something like - Commander, Seimens, square D. And I'm asuming it's a standard receptacle circuit so you want a 15amp breaker.

They will give you the right one. You could even go into your breaker panel (With power off) and get the part number off one of the other breakers.

You could even ask them how to snap it in. It's really easy, it will either snap in on one side and screw in on the other or snap in on both sides. I'm confident once you see the breaker and the spot you need to put it in you will be able to figure it out.

And the most likely result in doing it wrong is that it will trip the breaker. There really isn't anything you can do wrong. You know where all the wires go so as long as you tighten all the connections then you won't have a fire and everything will work correctly.

Ok the subpanel says square d on the handle so i guess that solves that :) and there all 20's except for two 15's and a dbl 30. So go 15 or 20? I need to get power in the shop and out side door too and this seems like its seeming like a easier and easier job. I think im gonna take it on but im getting pictures before and after for you guys to see everything so i get no surprises once panel comes off there no telling lol Rememeber the first time? NIGHTMARE is only word i can think of. lol I wonder how much a breaker cost?

Ok the subpanel says square d on the handle so i guess that solves that :) and there all 20's except for two 15's and a dbl 30. So go 15 or 20? I need to get power in the shop and out side door too and this seems like its seeming like a easier and easier job. I think im gonna take it on but im getting pictures before and after for you guys to see everything so i get no surprises once panel comes off there no telling lol Rememeber the first time? NIGHTMARE is only word i can think of. lol I wonder how much a breaker cost?

Just make sure you are wired correctly for the breakers you choose. 12/2 romex for a 20 amp. set up and 14/2 for 15 amp.

$80 is about right if that's the only thing that he's doing on your site. You've got to pay for his time, materials, overhead and profit. If he's billing you, that's more time. I estimate $100/hr for my journeyman electricians when I bid jobs with electrical.

It doesn't sound as though you should be doing this yourself based on your comments beforehand. Perhaps your relative coming up for Easter can walk you through it.

Edited by Entropy

"Oh 220volt just knock ya off heheh" Thats a lie! Id rather eat 120volts ever get pinned to 220volts....Yeah not fun it hurts LONGER! Im surprised im still alive.

You should try getting across two legs of 460V, or a crazy leg of 277V. You'll either never be afraid of electricty, or too scared to come near it again.

You should try getting across two legs of 460V, or a crazy leg of 277V. You'll either never be afraid of electricty, or too scared to come near it again.

LOL! Yeah i see those those boxes that say 480 i side sytep away and start walking faster! :) When it says anything over 220 i put my hands in my armpits so i dont touch anything lol