I would never advocate lying at Christmas time, but what if...?

I've had the question many times, how does it work? After a few times you have a good story to answer the question. In the back of my mind I've been tempted to make up a low-tech version of the story to tell just for fun. I would probably never do that to someone (maybe a brother-in-law), but if I did the lie would go something like this:

The Lie:

Each element of the light show is on a switch, and their are 32 switches that control the show. We do the show from 6 to 9 PM. After lots of coffee we gather the family and we man our stations at 6 PM. Each of us is responsible for 8 switches that we turn on and off with the music. I have 8, my wife has 8 and both of the kids (ages 5 and 9) have 8. We tune the radio to that station that plays Christmas music all season, and blast it through the house. With weeks of drilling and rehearsing behind us we flip the switches on and off to the beat of the music, flawlessly, without breaks. By 9 PM we are dead tired, but the effort is well worth it. We do this every evening from Thanksgiving through New Year's.

Well i dont have to lie if you just tell them the truth they are so confused they give up smile and walk off! You should see the looks on people faces at halloween when they ask "How you make your house lights blink on the porch area" By the time i say circuit and extesnion cord screw in light socket and fluorescent starter they have no more intrest. Did ya wanna know or were you just making small talk. I dont get too much question at christmas but 4th of july and halloween...Well they can literly drive ya away screaming with the questions "HOW YOU DO THAT?" Ever been to the gas station been spotted by someone and they want to quiz you on everything? YEAP! Happened to me a few times. I try to be nice but i have things to do ya know?People are curious i understand but 99 percent of the time they dont wanna know they just want to talk. When you start explaining they WANT to leave! They cant leave fast enough. "Likely walking off asking wife did you get any of that?" Tell them the truth they leave faster :)

Edited by FrostNsnow

I usually have my special Santa hat on, so I just bring my finger up, rub my nose and say its m a g i c.

Quoting Aurthur C. Clarke Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Now if someone actually knows what LOR or Renard are, then we can talk shop.

Joel

I once told somebody that I had 8 trained monkeys each operating 4 switches each, you know because they can use their feet as hands.

He gave me a smirk and I started telling him the truth, but he lost interest almost immediately, and left soon after.

It didn't seem to be nearly as funny as I thought it was.

I would never advocate lying at Christmas time, but what if...?

I've had the question many times, how does it work? After a few times you have a good story to answer the question. In the back of my mind I've been tempted to make up a low-tech version of the story to tell just for fun. I would probably never do that to someone (maybe a brother-in-law), but if I did the lie would go something like this:

The Lie:

Each element of the light show is on a switch, and their are 32 switches that control the show. We do the show from 6 to 9 PM. After lots of coffee we gather the family and we man our stations at 6 PM. Each of us is responsible for 8 switches that we turn on and off with the music. I have 8, my wife has 8 and both of the kids (ages 5 and 9) have 8. We tune the radio to that station that plays Christmas music all season, and blast it through the house. With weeks of drilling and rehearsing behind us we flip the switches on and off to the beat of the music, flawlessly, without breaks. By 9 PM we are dead tired, but the effort is well worth it. We do this every evening from Thanksgiving through New Year's.

From what I understand, you may have just described Walter & Jackie Monkhouse's original display! Except they may have employed mechanical timers. Really.

• 1 month later...

Lol. Me personally I would have said that you have elves switch the switches for you. You have them going up to that point then you drop that and they get that you are kidding.

From my web site FAQ:

How did you do it?

With little elves and a BIG wall full of switches, the elves turn on and

off the lights as needed in the song.

if it is someone that is a tech I say see that little gray box.......