Mega Tree With Incandescants (blue) Please Show

Could you tell me how many strings of each color you have on that tree.

I am trying to configure a 20 foot mega tree with three colors, would you recommend twisting all three colors together or leave them separated?

Also what is the total strings you have?

That looks fine and I think will be perfect for our first tree. The LEDs are a little too expensive at the moment.

thanks Alan

Could you tell me how many strings of each color you have on that tree.

I am trying to configure a 20 foot mega tree with three colors, would you recommend twisting all three colors together or leave them separated?

Also what is the total strings you have?

That looks fine and I think will be perfect for our first tree. The LEDs are a little too expensive at the moment.

thanks Alan

The outer (original) tree is 16 strings of C9 lights, 25 bulbs per string on airline cable that also serve to anchor the tree. The inner tree is 120 strings; 100 incandescent bulbs each; 40 each of red/green/clear. They are all separate. I think it makes a nice, full looking tree. Twisting the lights together into Super Strings, looks like. . . well, super strings. . . and is not my cup of tea. The lights on the inner tree are tied together at the top end with coated wire. 3 strings R/G/W per hook. I got the idea from someone on PC and it is included in my Mega Tree Experiences blog, assuming that the blog made it through the forum transition. I use 32 channels for the tree: 8 for the outer tree with 2 strings per channel; 24 for the inner tree with 5 strings per channel. That seems to work well. Although I have the ability to lower the strings to fix problems, you really don't notice them if say a channel has only 4 strings lit vs. 5 that should be lit so my in-season maintenance is zero.

• 2 weeks later...

I use blue incans all the time on trees, 10', 15', 20'... See my site in my sig for examples. I will say, the Lowes & Target blues are much deeper and harder to see blues when there are other colors with them - the WalMart blue's are more brilliant. At least, this is my observation.

http://www.deltavillelights.com/pics10/DSC_6211-1.jpg - This image shows most of my trees. Note that the blue tree to the left of the arch/frosty that's behind a red tree is lowes incan lights. The tree was hard to see from the side bc it was a much darker blue and it mixed in with all the other lights. Against the black background it was easy to see. The blue tree behind the boat is a walmart incan blue tree. MUCH easier to see mixed in with a lit background.

http://www.deltavillelights.com/pics10/DSC_6166-1.jpg - Another view, different angle, same tree examples.

Edited by Stephen Blue

I use blue mini in several of my trees. However, a word of caution they will not last long usually only a season or two at the most. They fade very quickly. I have several wire frames used in the patriotic section and I spray krylon on the lights every season. If you ever want to start coverting to led light may I suggest starting with blue

Good luck! And welcome to the madness

• 2 months later...

Thought I would offer my .02:)

When I built my mega tree, I opted to go with LED's due to power considerations. I am running an 11 foot tall tree with Red/Green/Blue in the traditional mega tree format and then have white lights in a spiral configuration around the outside of the other strands.

Last year was my first year with it running, and traditionally I stay away from blue Incans because of the fade factor. 1 season in Arizona's sun and they fade to a light blue/white color!

After a full season of use and some other activities I have used them for this year, they are as bright and blue as can be.

For my mega tree I chose to use c6 bulbs for the brightness factor. They worked very well. If I had it to do again I would probably go for the m5 form factor, they seem to be just as bright and a little easier to put up.

On my tree I used 12 strands of each color (100 count strands) this enabled me to double the strands and increase covereage. That gave me 96 strands total of red/green/blue on the tree which made my base spacing around 2 3/4 inches apart. The white lights I circled the tree twice with and did not double over.

It was an incredible site to see. Oh, and by the way, it is on top of my house with the bottom of it 16 feet off the ground. The tree and the colors can be seen clearly from over 1/4 mile away.

If you want to see some pictures/videos take a look here:

Good luck.

Mike.

Tree build pictures

Tree in action! Starts around the 1 minute mark. Camera is about 150-200 feet from where the tree is.

Mike - did you make the ring at the base or is that one of the pre-mades? Also, did you stack the plug in to the controller?

I made the base from plans posted on PC by Darryl Brown. I attended Re-Plus in Louisville in July 2009, joined PC in August and started on my innner, traditional PC, mega tree. That is pretty late to start from scratch. I wrote a blog on my experiences with building a mega tree and some hints on the instructions. But, I'm not sure that my blog has made it through the upgrades. I found that the base / pedistal looks good, but it was sort of a pain to work with. (For example, acorns feel like giant bolders when you are crawling around on what was the ground but feels like concrete in MN in November) So in 2010, I scrapped the pedistal and widened the bottom ring from 30' to 40' circumference and lowered it to about 8" off the ground. I took excess lights and doubled them back up and then down the strings. So, for 120 strings of lights I had at least 360 cable ties - another pain. This year, I'm going to let the excess lights pool at the bottom on the ground and hope that it looks really cool or gets buried in the snow. Yes, I stacked 5 strings of lights, then plugged this into one extension cord that went to one channel on the controller. BTW I'm in the process of giving my base to someone in the Twin Cities that I met at Christmas Expo this year. Hope this helps.

Thought I would offer my .02:)

When I built my mega tree, I opted to go with LED's due to power considerations. I am running an 11 foot tall tree with Red/Green/Blue in the traditional mega tree format and then have white lights in a spiral configuration around the outside of the other strands.

Last year was my first year with it running, and traditionally I stay away from blue Incans because of the fade factor. 1 season in Arizona's sun and they fade to a light blue/white color!

After a full season of use and some other activities I have used them for this year, they are as bright and blue as can be.

For my mega tree I chose to use c6 bulbs for the brightness factor. They worked very well. If I had it to do again I would probably go for the m5 form factor, they seem to be just as bright and a little easier to put up.

On my tree I used 12 strands of each color (100 count strands) this enabled me to double the strands and increase covereage. That gave me 96 strands total of red/green/blue on the tree which made my base spacing around 2 3/4 inches apart. The white lights I circled the tree twice with and did not double over.

It was an incredible site to see. Oh, and by the way, it is on top of my house with the bottom of it 16 feet off the ground. The tree and the colors can be seen clearly from over 1/4 mile away.

If you want to see some pictures/videos take a look here:

Good luck.

Mike.

http://vimeo.com/18692615 Tree build pictures

http://vimeo.com/18467253 Tree in action! Starts around the 1 minute mark. Camera is about 150-200 feet from where the tree is.

I like your tree -- especially that it is both traditional and spiral. Good Job!