Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
FrostNsnow

Hardware Stores....blah!

Theres a few right down the road from me and im not going to name names BUT! Theres one i shoped at all the time for everything i needed mom and pops owned ya know very nice. I go into they ask what i needed and id be out the door in 5 minutes tops! and they knew their stuff too which was nice b/c you dont have to explain anything plain and simple here i need cement board screws and done. Last time i went in there they must of sold out or retired or something b/c the new crew sits around smokes outside doesnt care and do not know anything im surprised they can wipe there butts! They look at you like your stupid.... IM like dude if you dont know you need to find a another job plain and simple! I hate going to the other ones too they chase me around like a puppy dog then when they catch me they ask what i need i break down tell them then they start asking me questions im like "Dude leave me alone!" I didnt think this was shop class if you dont know then you shouldnt be working here. The WORST question to ask me is "What are you trying to do?" THey wouldnt understand it anyway that one makes me turn red first of all i dont need you some pimple faced teenager trying to explain something to me i already know! Im sorry but i dont need supervision i know what i need i know where it is and i dont need your help and i tell them and they still wont leave me alone! One day im going to find someone in there that needs help and lead them over to them and tell them here help them! Everytime i go in there everyone is changing lightbulbs in the morning so i sneak in there so i dont have to deal with them (Professional lightbulb changers and they get paid for this?) I need to find a new hardware store and fast! I hate to drive 30 miles but it might be worth it....Anybody else have these issues. Oh and heavens forbid your doing a holiday project b/c they just dont get it...The other store i shoped at they new exactly what we were doing remodel and holiday stuff they even drove by and looked at our house and everything even said it looked great. Always say more holiday projects huh? Anybody else and you get this .........................when the tv has those test color bars on it well thats what i see. "a whaaaaaaaaaaaa?" I have been ordering online lately and they say be ready in 20 minutes they call say its ready i go there and guess what its not ready....Does this even make sense? !BLAH!

Edited by FrostNsnow

Wow! Somebody got you stirred up:)

I have to agree though, I have been in hardware stores that know there stuff and get you what you need quickly and professionally and it makes your quick trip, well, quick.

Big box hardware stores may have people that want to help you, but those people have no experience with building odd projects, as a result they ask more questions than it is worth and then try to show you some knowledge by offering guidance:)

Unfortunately I don't see this getting any better:(

My generation was encouraged to experiment and try things. The new generation spent their time surfing knowledge on computers, they never took on the challenge of building something "just because".

I hope you find a hardware store that can fit your needs:)

Mike.

My generation was encouraged to experiment and try things. The new generation spent their time surfing knowledge on computers, they never took on the challenge of building something "just because".

Yeap i was happy with a coffee can full of bent nails and some scrap wood when i was just 5. Sit there all day long straightening nails. I learned to drive a nail and make something odd but still ya know gotta start somewhere. Like ya said though get on the computer and just read well that just dont cut it most of the time when have you ever built something that went smooth? With no surprises? I think they should hire retired contractors atleast they know the lingo and can show you where it is. I think you should have a permit before getting that job b/c these people are going to give me a stroke! Radioshack is worse i need part numbers and names and they still dunno what it is or if its in the store. THERE STAND OFFS!! Geez and they make them take a test and all that what did they do forget when it was over? I shouldnt have to have part numbers stand offs should be enough. This is basic stuff. I have to say though sometimes when im in RS when the moon is full and all the stars are aligned there is someone in there that actually knows their stuff and its quite scary but its not often...

I usually don't comment on rants... but...

"What are you trying to do?"

That has got to be the worse question to be asked in a hardware store. Usually I just walk away at that point but every now and then when I've got nowhere special to be. I'll go into a long and very detailed explanation using every technical, and industry term I know to explain even the simplest concept. I can't help it I love to watch their look change from; you don't know what you’re doing to that distant look of confusion.

(But don't do it when you’re already angry it just makes things worse.)

I always look for the oldest guy working at any hardware store - even at the big box stores. They know what I'm talking about and know where it is.

Brian

I like to explain what I am doing. The looks you get. And the comments---- you are trying to do what with PVC and don't you know it is only April..... Lol

I must have gotten lucky with this. went to our local Lowes last year and started looking at lights and christmas items. A young kid who runs the seasonal area asked if I needed help, which I replied " you bet". He proceeds to show me everything and more. As the pre christmas time progressed he would see me more often and always went out of his way to help me out. He even came by the house to check it out after we put the lights up (our first time by the way) and was pumped on how it came out.

Long story short: I'm in Lowes yesterday (97 degrees here in Ca.) looking for ideas on mini trees and Im sitting down in one of their outdoor chairs, he comes over and asks how things are going. I tell him I am working on this next Christmas ideas and he tells me that when I am ready to let him know what I need and he will put on a pallet for me prior to the christmas items coming out so he can make sure I have what I need and with a slight discount from the manager.

How cool is that!!!!!!

Heard a report on the radio last week about there being fewer and fewer people that putter around and do home handiman type stuff and pass it on to their kids. The report said that by 2048 there will be hardly anyone that can do the stuff like change the outlet, light fixture, repair broken window panes and such. May not be too many Christmas displays by then either.

Saddly I have to agree that the days of the "mom and pop" style stores are rapidly fading away.

I managed a lumberyard/hardware store for 14 years until it went out of business. The advent of the big box Lowe's and Home Depot's style stores put such a hurt on the little guys that it is almost impossible to survive and compete. They can offer such low prices on stuff and lose money on them just so that they bring the customers in.

Sometimes you can find good help in them but that is also a chore. I was always happy to spend some time with folks explaining paint, searching for some special hardware for projects, or just chatting about what someone was building. The personal touch really made a difference to many. Now it is more of an "in and out" mentality and the folks at the big stores are trained more to do the quick turnaround to make money more than spend too much time helping. Also the fact that we are becoming a "throw away" society doesn't help either. No one worries if something is made to last, just go buy a new improved one in a year of so.

Ever help someone in the big box store before? When you go straight for what ya need i guess they assume you know something and usually ya do and get asked questions by customers? I have then they go on to say they have been waiting for help for 30 someodd minutes! Another time i was leaving store and there was these two ladies with their father and he had a cane and they were waiting when i went in and still waiting when i was leaving to have someone load something i dunno what it was but it had to be upright(i know upright b/c they stressed that it had to be like that ok not a big deal what is this thing?) and it was heavy! After i load it he then comes out "I was comming to load that for them!" Well how much longer ya gonna make them wait who knows how long they had been waiting. This is crazy! At the time i was working shipping in a warehouse one more box isnt gonna kill me i do this all day everyday, but service at the big box stores is not there they dont even pretend to care. Atleast they could try and fake it...Lie to me tell me something i MIGHT believe...I cant believe they can sleep at night. They basically draw a check for walking around all day. Im telling ya professional lightbulb changers.

Edited by FrostNsnow

Yea FrostNsnow been there - done that.

In fact I usually end up helping a few folks before I get out of the big stores when I go. It bugs me too to see not only the older folks waiting for help but younger folks as well. And quite a few times I have jumped into conversations when I heard an employee giving wrong or misleading advice to someone. I've found that most of the time the employee will listen and be thankful for advice as well. If they threaten me I just say "Lets go talk to the store manager then" and they back down and either walk off or listen and then say Thank You.

These store jobs are just a paycheck to a lot of the people who work there and the older ones who have knowledge are purposely repremanded by the managers if they spend too much time helping and not stocking items or pushing sales. It is getting tougher to find good ones that will stay with the big stores once they catch on to the "push the merchandise - make the sale" attitude that these stores want. I have had contractor friends that went to work for Lowe's and Home Depot stores and didn't make it for more than a couple of months average before they left.

Best you can do pretty much is walk in with something and say "I need a new one of these" and hope you get the right thing.

The store you need is Seven Corners Hardware in St. Paul MN. I guess if you are a regular there, you might be able to find something on your own. But, in general, you walk in they ask what you need and lead you to it. They are stocked from floor to the 20' ceilings and it is incredible. They may have a web site. I don't work there, don't know anyone there, yada, yada, yada.