Making My Tune To Sign

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is - finished and ready to go. One more thing I can check off of the list. post-8032-0-34576800-1312644855_thumb.jp This is basically a 1x4 wooden box with a plywood back, that I cut grooves in with my table saw for the Lexan sheet to slide into. There is an 18' section of ropelight inside for backlighting.

How did you end up mounting your sign? Are there separate legs?

How did you end up mounting your sign? Are there separate legs?

I plan to hang it on the side of my brick mailbox. My mailbox has shrubs around it that are about 3' high that I keep trimmed flat on top, so the sign will sort of sit on top of the shrubs and hang on the side of the mailbox like a picture.

• 2 months later...

I just got my sign in that I ordered from Shindigz.com about a week ago. I got the 30 in. tall horizontal banner. Pretty nice quality for what i considered a very good price. It is screen printed vinyl with metal grommets if you want to attach it to something. Check out their website. You design the banner yourself from the templates provided.

post-14107-0-18227400-1319937804.jpg

They did a nice job. Are you going to use a spot light to light it up?

That's the plan. It will be near the street, so I don't need it too bright. Think I'll try 2 flood light holders with 25 watt bulbs first, then go from there.

Mine is backlit by a cold start flourescent tube. I drive a pipe into the ground and slip the PVC legs over the pipe to hold it upright.

I have an additional sign for the web site

Doug

Hey Doug , if this is your design on the 4 inch pvc, I copied it. Thanks It looks great

I also used Shindigz during their 1 cent shipping sales, i used to hold them ont he ground by rebar stakes.. this year i made them a little bit more "professional and made PVC signs, I do light mine up with a cfl spotlight. I have 3 of them as I live on a large triangular corner lot.

Hey Doug , if this is your design on the 4 inch pvc, I copied it. Thanks It looks great

Not my design. I saw others here using 4 inch PVC to frames and candy cane stiping it. Mine is just a different application of similar items. Thats what we do here....share ideas and our work so others can use the ideas if they see fit. Same as sharing Leaping lights and mega trees.

Yes, my box for the sign is 1 X 4 but is pine. Painted white with multiple coats for weatherproofing. Front is lexan with decal on inside. Back is plywood with a 4 foot cold start fourescent light fixture attached to the inside. All the wiring for the rope light and extension cords goes through the framework and out the bottom of the legs so it is mostly hidden.

I also used Shindigz during their 1 cent shipping sales, i used to hold them ont he ground by rebar stakes.. this year i made them a little bit more "professional and made PVC signs, I do light mine up with a cfl spotlight. I have 3 of them as I live on a large triangular corner lot.

I'm using rebar too. Taking the sign inside each night since it is so close to the street...not taking any chances. Few zip ties to slip over rebar, spotlight, and done.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really nice! I let my daughters hand paint mine. I love them, but would really like a more professional look like yours.

Nothing screams Merry Christmas more than hand painted signs by kids. Your sign is awesome and anything more professional would be less Christmas.

No offense intended for all of the other great signs, I just love the family look.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I decided to build my own sign this year as well and I had a local sign shop design what I wanted and I built the "box" and candy canes. I think total I spent was $85 for sign design and the wood and pvc another $30 so for a little over $100 this is what I have now...If you go to my web site you can see my "unprofessional" coroplast with marker signs...HUGE difference!!!!

www.MusicalChristmasLightShow.com

Let me know if anyone wants more details...

PS - Web Site is new this year too so any feedback is appreciated!!!!

Edited by digdug7869
  • 2 weeks later...

Where do most of you get your signs printed? Do you design and give them the file, or let them do the design?

I am having on printed from FastSigns now, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I used http://www.shindigz.com/. You design the banner on their site and it is printed exactly as you designed it. Mine turned out great. It's no stick on film, just printed vinyl, so you'll have to spot light it.

Edited by vkjohnson
  • 3 weeks later...

I had 2 of the Shindigz signs last year. The price is great but found they ripped from the grommets in strong wind and also, I didn't like the fact I had to illuminate them during the shows. This year I made a simple "Tune To" sign with 1/4" opaque or "frosted" plexiglass. I just printed out the frequency #s and taped them (reversed)to the back of the plexi as a stencil. Then I spray painted the plexi black so only the "Tune To 89.9 FM" was frosted. A simple plywood box and some LED strings inside lit up the frosted letters great. It was also a good use for a couple LED strings that only had half of the lights working. I control the sign with an extra channel so they only light up between songs. It is helpful to also flash the sign on and off because it grabs the attention of viewers who often don't know where to look for the radio info. The entire thing took about 20 minutes to make and works out better for my show than just the Shindigz signs.