We are going to purchase the LOR 64 channel system for the 2011 season.

We have a 50 amp circuit that runs to the backyard (this is where the display will be) and was used for a spa that is being removed.

Question:

Will the 50 amp circuit be enough for the 64 channel LOR using incandescents?

the LOR will operating the following:

1 x 20 ft mega tree with approx. 12000 lights.

6 x 6 ft trees with 1200 lights each, total 7200 lights.

12 x 3 ft trees with 600 lights each, total 7200 lights.

assorted animated displays, approx. 2000 lights.

approx. total lights: 28000 lights.

thanks for your help

Alan

We have a 50 amp circuit that runs to the backyard (this is where the display will be) and was used for a spa that is being removed.

Question:

Will the 50 amp circuit be enough for the 64 channel LOR using incandescents?

the LOR will operating the following:

1 x 20 ft mega tree with approx. 12000 lights.

6 x 6 ft trees with 1200 lights each, total 7200 lights.

12 x 3 ft trees with 600 lights each, total 7200 lights.

assorted animated displays, approx. 2000 lights.

thanks for your help

Alan

i want to say i read some where average LOR unit can withstand 10k lights??? depending on the intensity at the time in the song..

There are more variables you need to take into consideration. What kind of lights are you using? Minis, ES minis, C7, C9, spots,etc. Also how many of the lights will be on at any given time.

Assuming you are using all 100 count mini lights at .33 amps per string; 28000 lights equals 280 strings. 280 strings @.33 amps equals 92.4 amps. So,if all your lights are on at one time you are going to trip breakers. If you have only 1/3 of the lights on at one time you should be all right.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, I'm just saying you have to watch your power load very carefully. I run approx. 30,000 lights (about 99A) on 4 20amp circuits (64 amps total taking in the 80% rule) without any problems. I just have to watch what lights I have on when. I use the Holdman technique. I run three colors;clear, red & green; and I never turn the red and green on at the same time.

thanks for your help

Alan

The first question I have is you say you are going to run off of a 50 amp service is that a 50 amp 220 service if so split the load and you can have a total of 100 amps of 120

thanks for your help

Alan

The first question I have is you say you are going to run off of a 50 amp service is that a 50 amp 220 service if so split the load and you can have a total of 100 amps of 120

I agree, if it is a old hot tub circuit you should have 100 amps. to play with.

You are right, it is a 220v 50 amp service,sorry for not stating that important aspect.

All of the lights we have are the mini incand. no c7 or c9s.

All or at least most are 100 lights per string.

I will remember what you said about not running the two colors at the same time.

thanks again.

Alan

Also don't forget that each channel on LOR has a max amp limit and each controller does too.

If you were willing to spend a little extra and purchase LED lights instead, these problems would magically disappear ;)....sort of