Strobes are either off or on. If you are using LED strobes, some people "pre-charge" them by turning them on at 10-15% for a second or two as a way of getting around them flashing all together; pre-charging helps randomizing.

Strobes are either off or on. If you are using LED strobes, some people "pre-charge" them by turning them on at 10-15% for a second or two as a way of getting around them flashing all together; pre-charging helps randomizing.

I don't fully understand that statement........How in LOR do you do that.........guess I'm a little slow!!

I have never used strobes especially LED ones. I am guessing the you set the intensity of that channel to 10-15% for a second or two just before you want the on. Then set that channel to 100% when you want them to come on.

Do the regular strobes have issues with them all flashing at the same time? Would I need multiple channels? I am planning on 20 strobes with two channels.

When you turn them on they all fire at once, but within a few seconds they will start firing at random. It happens so quickly you will probably never notice it.

SPaschall

When you turn them on they all fire at once, but within a few seconds they will start firing at random. It happens so quickly you will probably never notice it.

SPaschall

Actually regular strobes Build up a charge and at a certain point fire. The ones that haven't fired hold that charge, so after the initial use some will have charged more than other so they stay pretty random. That is why extreme care needs to be taken while working or repairing a strobe. Even though it is unplugged it is still juiced and can bite you if your not careful. A single channel is all you would need unless you are using a lot or want to stagger or have zones of strobes. I have single channels firing 100 or more strobes without problems but use 6 channels total.

SPaschall

I think that it's a highly desirable characteristic of strobes. Having them fire at once makes a POP then the randomness sparkles. It's a lot like twinkle fireworks. I added more strobes last year because I hear a lot of Oooooooooo when at the end of a song, I fade out the lights leaving only the strobes for a few seconds.

• 3 months later...

I was playing with my new LED strobes from CDI. Mine seem to take about 10 seconds to finally randomize. But if I do this at 10%, the flash is still bright enough to be obvious. In fact, 10% to 100% is very little difference. Anyone else having this same behavior?