Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jhunt2006

When Is A Good Time To Start?

When is a good time to start? Last year I decided to go animated, and I already drew a layout, and programmed a few songs, but I have since taken a break. So when is a good time to start programing, and when should I need to be done to get the show right?

I know the actual answer is NEVER, but I need a baseline idea of how long it takes to program 4 or 5 songs, and how long it takes to set up a basic show. I have 16 channels this year, but still plan on having a mega tree. Any ideas on a timeline?

Remember this is a year round hobby. The more songs you have done and in the can come fall, the more time you will have to work on setup and not worry about sequencing so much.

I agree with Brian,

I started programing in last month (April), but started the prep work shortly after the new year.

I had a lot of changes this year so I started in November (before last years lights went up).

Really no such thing as too early, you'll just have more time to change and refine your display.

If you're anything like me it will change often and with costly consequences.

I figured. I keep telling myself I need to get working on it. It always helps when I show people my idea's and see their faces light up. I can't wait to see the end result. This will be my first year going animated. I have a lot to live up to since only 10 miles away is the Redneck Christmas display.

I keep telling myself the same thing "get started, get to work..etc..etc.."

Right now, I have arches setup in my backyard for testing

I don't do musical animations. But some friends who do and have large displays have said that they spend 40 hours to program 1 minute of music. So you better get crackin'. I'm just saying. . . .

I see taking breaks through out the year so you don't burn out, but I tend to keep on trucking. I agree with the earlier you get your songs done, the more time you have for you actual display. I do get some weird looks in the summer when I have the Christmas I am animating to, playing in my car.

I see taking breaks through out the year so you don't burn out, but I tend to keep on trucking. I agree with the earlier you get your songs done, the more time you have for you actual display. I do get some weird looks in the summer when I have the Christmas I am animating to, playing in my car.

Just exactly like what knute said. Last night i was using tapper wizard fell asleep laying down on couch seq. with laptop on chest woke up few hours later and there i was finger still on mouse and all. I was startled at first and said WHAT!?? well i said a few more words but we leave that alone lol. Anytime you can and your are focused and theres nothing on tv is a GREAT TIME! Its a bunch of work but i wouldnt have a stroke over it or anything few minutes at a time. A wise man told me once its better to have a few songs perfect then 15 songs that look like crap so...so less is more :)

. . . A wise man told me once its better to have a few songs perfect then 15 songs that look like crap so...so less is more :)

Consider looking for opportunities to re-state this thoughout the year. It is indeed, wise advise.

A wise man told me once its better to have a few songs perfect then 15 songs that look like crap so...so less is more :)

A wise man told me once its better to have a few songs perfect then 15 songs that look like crap so...so less is more :)

I remember when I first started out I had only a few songs and they looked like crap and there were no wise men around to tell me what to do......

looking back at my 1st year and 15K lights I think it looks worse than crap.

But the people LOVED IT

Now with over 150K I do not stop for long. After the show goes live, I think about what I want for next year, after putting everything away in January I start a 1 month break then I start looking for ideas, songs, discounted items. setup starts late July pulling out items for repair/painting, in mid-late August posts go in the ground for the tree lines. Sep/Oct everything goes up to start live testing in November.

---point of interest, I live 30 miles from my display and work mostly on weekends to setup.---

To finish this post......START NOW, download LOR trial version, start designing your show and knocking out songs.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO EXTREME CHRISTMAS

I am doing my first animated display this year as well. I started learning how to use Lightshow pro in Feb, I have 5 songs ready so far and plan on doing 4 more. I rotate from days to nights at work in two month intervals. So I use my nights to do my programming if things are quiet. In Sep/Oct I plan on putting up my lights, do some testing and have everything ready to go by 25Nov. Right now it usually takes me about 8 hours to program a 2 minute song. Good luck on your display, I sure can't wait to see mine in action.

My second year. Wanted to redo the whole display and different songs. Two days of sequencing, looks like a zig saw puzzle. Need a break, have a big headache. Need more controllers for sure.

So here is a rough, rough timeline. Could go faster or slower based on alot of factors.

Given 16 channels with a Mega Tree, to do 5 songs I would guess...

1 week to play and learn software (go through a few tutorials)

1 week to plan. Where will you put everything, what channel will control what, etc.

2 weeks for the first song

1-2 weeks per additional song X 4 = 4 to 8 weeks

1 week for actual prep and setup

~9 to 13 weeks

I know this is an old thread.... Can anyone give me a rough timeline for setting up/testing/running my first synchronized display? I will be running 16 channels this year with mostly simple stuff to install (bush net lights and four mini trees) with a static display (icicle lights, a manger scene, and a cross). I am talking about physically setting up the wiring, lights, controller, FM transmitter, etc not planning/sequencing. I am thinking about starting setup two weekends before Thanksgiving with the goal of having my synchronized display up & running Thanksgiving night. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I know this is an old thread.... Can anyone give me a rough timeline for setting up/testing/running my first synchronized display? I will be running 16 channels this year with mostly simple stuff to install (bush net lights and four mini trees) with a static display (icicle lights, a manger scene, and a cross). I am talking about physically setting up the wiring, lights, controller, FM transmitter, etc not planning/sequencing. I am thinking about starting setup two weekends before Thanksgiving with the goal of having my synchronized display up & running Thanksgiving night. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hard to answer that!

I will be starting to sneak things out soon.

I will be taking almost 2 weeks off in Nov to complete most of it.

I like to have everything ready well before the go live day.

Gives me time to fix things... for example last year I added 4 CCR arches that I discovered didn't work on my one network and had to order 4 adapters from LOR!

I would set up except the grass is still growing and it would be impossible to cut.

Understood difficult to answer. Sounds like I am probably in about the right ballpark, planning to setup the two weekends prior to the "go live" day. I like that term!! Thanks very much.

Really depends on your display and how much time you can dedicate to setting up the lights. It gets cold and sometimes snow here in NOV, so I like to have mine set up before the end of OCT. I will have all my lights strung up and ready, then just plug in the controllers and test about two weeks before my planned live event. That way I can work out any bugs. This year I will have 12 rgb strips and will be testing those very soon!

Really depends on your display and how much time you can dedicate to setting up the lights. It gets cold and sometimes snow here in NOV, so I like to have mine set up before the end of OCT. I will have all my lights strung up and ready, then just plug in the controllers and test about two weeks before my planned live event. That way I can work out any bugs. This year I will have 12 rgb strips and will be testing those very soon!

Snow? What is that- we Florida guys don't have it and sometimes we want it but then again- it is nice to set up and tear down in shorts and t-shirts...