Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeff_Womack

Your Profile

Guest Jeff_Womack

In an online forum your profile is like a handshake and a smile when you meet someone in person, it's your first chance for a friendly greeting. A filled in profile helps many of us answer questions especially as they may relate to a particular climate. So how do you update your profile?

First click "My Account" above.

post-2104-129570964004_thumb.jpg

Guest Jeff_Womack

Now you are on the profile update page. Add as much info as you wish here. In order for the MyWowBB software to properly handle your location you need to follow the directions in the picture.

post-2104-129570964016_thumb.jpg

Just click on any of the states under peoples names and it will take you to the map of that state. Or you can click on USA for a full map.

For example here is a link to the Texas members

Aaah... OK. Thanks, Ryan.

I see the list sorts by city; guess I should fix mine to 'Austin area' or something instead of 'near Austin' like I have it.

Jon

Great starter, Jeff. And another thing to possibly do is introduce yourself to us. Tell us a little about yourself. Jeff started a really great thread a while back that has been pasted as a sticky in the "Dasher's Diner" forum called "Hi. I'm Jeff and a Christmas Light Enthusiast!!!" That reminds me, I still need to go over and post in that one!:laughing:

Also, the more information such as location that you give, the more people who live near you can help out. Someone might also be planning one of our famous Mini PLUSesnear you, and if they know your location, they can contact you about possibly attending more easily. I met many nice people through our local Carolina Mini a month ago, and from what it sounds like, will probably wind up helping at least a couple of them with various projects (one of which I still need to give out measurements on) as the season nears. If you ever get a chance to attend a mini, by all means, do so. And also, plan to attend the major PLUS that happens every other year (next in 2007). I've not been, but I hear it's great, and am planning on attending in 2007 for the first time. You can't truly get to know what a person is like, or even how they mean for something to come across on the computer until you've met them in person. Speaking of PLUS, who's silly enough to challenge me to a few go kart races?;)

Jeff,

Thanks for the reminder and info for members of PC.

I know the first thing I look for when replying to a post: where are they from.

It is helpful to have both city and state. Otherwise, we might be close to each other and not even know it.It is easier to assist each other if we know where each other lives. :cool:

Michael B

There have been some changes to the profile page.

You now have the option of loading a picture of your display and it's easily accessible by anyone. Look to the left of this post in the "Author" column. Under "Joined" and Location" is a new line called "Picture". If you have added the picture in your profile, it will say [Download] or be blank if there is nothing for others to see.

Guest Jeff_Womack

Chuck is there any chance you could sticky note this at the top of this forum and the Lights forum? I know I have seen 4 Texans update their profiles in the past week which obviously helps with Mini's and of course the main PLUS event.

Jeff

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Chuck is there any chance you could sticky note this at the top of this forum and the Lights forum? I know I have seen 4 Texans update their profiles in the past week which obviously helps with Mini's and of course the main PLUS event.

Jeff

Jeff,

How many Floridians have updated their profiles?

Don't you dare say you don't care. :]

Michael B

Guest Jeff_Womack

Michael,

I lways check the Texas map to see how many we have. Sorry I don't check Florida. It's not that I don't care, it's just Florida doesn't matter! :P Just messing!

Jeff

Jeff I always do the same with the Washington map. Always wanna see if we have any new enthusiasts out there close by.

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Michael,

I lways check the Texas map to see how many we have. Sorry I don't check Florida. It's not that I don't care, it's just Florida doesn't matter! :P Just messing!

Jeff

Jeff,

Texas 75

Florida 69

I can't figure out if thsat is a football or basketball score. I sure hope we are not play baseball!:laughing:

Michael B

By December 25th I predict Florida will be ahead!

Let's go Florida posters update your profiles! If you are from Texas I would just type in Florida anyway!:shock:

Just adding a short note to make this message appear back at the top for new users to read. It makes it alot easier for other PC members to assist you in your questions if we know what city/state you live in.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO FILL OUT YOUR PROFILES. Jeff has given a excellent step by step above.

Hehe. Took me awhile to see where that profile link was, since most other forum has the profile link up way there. :)

There are a lot of new members. If you haven't included you city and state now would be a great time to do so.

If you live in Florida update. If you livein Texas you can pretend you live in Florida. :laughing:

Michael B

Guest Jeff_Womack

Michael B wrote:

Texas 75

Florida 69

Those figures were from August 3, 2006. Today's figures:

Texas 96 (Was at 84 the first morning of Work Shop)

California 82

Florida 77

Illinois 54

New York 45

Looks like the word is spreading for people to update their profiles!

Jeff

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Michael B wrote:

Those figures were from August 3, 2006. Today's figures:

Texas 96 (Was at 84 the first morning of Work Shop)

California 82

Florida 77

Illinois 54

New York 45

Looks like the word is spreading for people to update their profiles!

Jeff

Yes, that is great! I wonder if this computer is broken! We were only 6 behind you 2 months ago now we are 14! :shock:

Did you do some recruiting at your Texas Mini Plus? :D

I'm glad for you and Texas. :)

I will need to get these Floridians going. :cryingsong:

What is your secret? :waycool:

Can you convert some of your Texans to Floridians? :dude:

Seriously, it is terrific that our community is growing. This thread is a great one to bring back to the top of this forum every once and awhile.

I wonder if Chuck can encourage new members to add location to their profile's?

Michael B

Michael B wrote:

How many Floridians have updated their profiles?

Not too many. It seems the Florida members have a butterfly profile form that is causing them to accidentally select New Jersey.

TED

Guest Jeff_Womack

Michael B wrote:

Did you do some recruiting at your Texas Mini Plus? :D

Yes we did encourage people at the Texas Christmas Light Work Shop to update their profiles and/or join Planet Christmas and My Holiday Displays. The cool thing is we had several people at the Work Shop that had never joined either but now are on one or both.

Jeff

TED wrote:

Michael B wrote:

Not too many. It seems the Florida members have a butterfly profile form that is causing them to accidentally select New Jersey.

TED

Florida & NJ musta beenstruck by the Avian flu!!! (an outbreak of snow bird's?) :laughing:

Kathy Byrd wrote:

Florida & NJ musta beenstruck by the Avian flu!!! (an outbreak of snow bird's?) :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:....ugh...I feel siiiick...:laughing: :laughing: