I am building a life size nativity scene from Winfield patterns. I am ready to paint the viroids, but what should I use to seal them? I do not want the sealant to yellow or make the paint run. Does anyone have any suggestions? I completed the 15 ft reindeer and the joy scenic. I used outdoor paint. Should I seal those?

Thanks

Theres clear coats out there that dont yellow and its all about the brand you buy you get what ya pay for. Like i wouldnt put trust in dollar store brand not to turn yellow. Check the can it should say something like non yellowing or something like that. I have heard and dunno if any truth to it or not but sometimes the clear reacts with some paints and turns yellow but ya know....Maybe something like a car clear coat? I havent seen white cars turn yellow. Remember you get what ya pay for. I would do a test too get some of the same wood if you have a scrap from that sheet would be even more ideal b/c you wont have any varibles and paint test colors same way you did cutout with same stock of paint and clear them and see. Do things overtime turn yellow and get old sure thats the price we pay for being outside. Just read the can should say something about non yellowing.

Edited by FrostNsnow

If you used a good quality exterior paint then in my experience a clear sealer is not needed. I have some cut-outs that are 20-30 years old that don't have any sealer on them. Even 20 years of displaying them only equals less than two years of exposure to the sun and weather. You'll find lots of different opinions on this subject, just search this forum, you'll quickly find them.

Good luck!

Joe

Lots of cut outs, some are animated. I first put a primer on - 2 coats, sand. Apply a good chaulk to all the edges to seal them preventing water to wick into the plywood. Then I use acrylic paints you find at AC Moore / Michales. This gives me a wide aray of colors to choose from. A typicial 1.5oz bottle will go a long way. Then 2 coats of Minwax Poly - Satin - light sand between coats.