What About This As An Alternative To Expense Of Madrix

LED-TUBE-16-5.jpg

http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.com.cn/osc/product_info.php/cPath/452/products_id/8368

I have been looking for an option to do my roofline in some sort of led pixels, about three or four rows high and do basic patterns on it. I have been considering this package of tubes which comes with a controller and software that lets you set up the patterns you want to run, then save them on an sd card and call them via dmx. I am sure I can buy the controller separately and the software is free to download. When you play with the software, it looks as though it supports a variety of controllers. Can any of you guys with more knowledge as to the various chips tell me if this software would work with a controller we could purchase from China then use to control various types of pixel strings? I want to know what options are. This looks like poor man's Madrix to me.

Here is the direct software download link: LEDEdit Software

lededit.jpg

Well...you know how I feel about CDS ;).

Here's the thing, one of the benefits of Madrix (besides the fact that it is real-world proven)

is the tech support you can get from others using it and the development team.

As for compatibility, Madrix uses standard protocols that any hardware worth its stuff has to support.

Is there any documentation about what protocols this software is using?

You might remember Galaxia had a similar setup to this which failed miserably.

I would suggest something from http://www.computerizedlighting.com/

They're a reputable US-based company that can help with the technical bothers that come with RGB and their packages include Madrix.

You can always start small and then get bigger, but at least you know Madrix can handle the load.

Is there any documentation about how much this CDS software can handle?

Just my two cents.

Edited by JHolmes

Well...you know how I feel about CDS ;).

Just my two cents.

Yes, I am and you know I have always had good luck. But that's not the purpose of this post. The use I have for pixels exceeds one universe of dmx, so the next step up with Madrix is a $1300 license, plus two additional dmx dongles to my idmx. For my home display, that's just not an option. If I had several thousand dollars to throw at the project, I would no doubt go higher end...

And no, I don't believe this is similar to the Galaxia setup this is basic controller that lets you put effects on an SD card and call them via dmx then control a large number of pixels. No additional dongles if you are already running an idmx or other dmx dongle... seems like a pretty nice simple setup. My question was related to the ability to use this controller and software to control a variety of pixel types. I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks who have been working with the pixels for a while could weigh in on the possibilities.

Any of you pixel experts have thoughts on the subject?

Yes, I am and you know I have always had good luck. But that's not the purpose of this post. The use I have for pixels exceeds one universe of dmx, so the next step up with Madrix is a $1300 license, plus two additional dmx dongles to my idmx. For my home display, that's just not an option. If I had several thousand dollars to throw at the project, I would no doubt go higher end...

And no, I don't believe this is similar to the Galaxia setup this is basic controller that lets you put effects on an SD card and call them via dmx then control a large number of pixels. No additional dongles if you are already running an idmx or other dmx dongle... seems like a pretty nice simple setup. My question was related to the ability to use this controller and software to control a variety of pixel types. I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks who have been working with the pixels for a while could weigh in on the possibilities.

Any of you pixel experts have thoughts on the subject?

Ok being someone who uses MADRIX all the time I thought I would download and play with the software you posted the link to.

The two programs are very different. MADRIX is a real-time package that have very advanced effects that can be layered and controlled by music. You can quick stitch between effects and have them react live to music. You can not do this LED-Edit.

I think one of the misconceptions you have is MADRIX only support DMX. This in not true. Just about everything is supported. Yes it is expensive, but what is your time worth and how advance of effect do you want? LED-Edit can create some basic effect that can be called up, but they are just that, basic. Also did you know you can stack keys in MADRIX? For example you can run 2 starts to get 1024 channels.

It all comes down to you get what you pay for. If the budget is very tight then LED Edit will work, but you may find that the new LOR S3 may even work better for you as it now has all kinds of new RGB controls. Also you may want to contact Drew Hickman at Holiday Technologies as he is coming out with some very cool and inexpensive DMX controllers that should easily be in your price range.

No matter what you decide to use I'm sure it's going to look cool and I can't wait to see it.

-Brad Boyink