Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
NH - Dave

Winch And Pulley System

Would really like to see some pix of the winch and pulley system. Got a 18-footer, 2" schedule 40 pipe. Just need a look-see at how to run the cables up to the head.

Dave-how many lights are pulling up- my first year was with 48- 100 light strands and I just hooked them to the top with a massive a-frame ladder- only to watch it bend left, bend right and look like a teetering snake- If you are going anywhere above 30 strands I would strongly suggest going over to galvanized pipe for strength.

Sorry- but no pix-- It's still in the attic and right now I don't know if Christmas is a possibility- My back's out I'm waiting word on possiblly needing surgery.

well i got a pulley system with a 24 ft tree that i just build this week end

i used 2 inch aluminum pipe .. 3/16 wall and after i was done my 24 streigh spiral the pipe is bowing so there is no way i will put more light to it ... but dont forget the all the pressure of the spiral is on that pipe and not going up and down ... so your pvc pipe will most-likely bow or bend like crazy ,,, next year i am going with 2 inch steel 1/4 wall hoping to put more light ..

cheer

now as the pulley i used small rope first which broke after i put all my light then i change to 3/16 wire ... will never broke again but the pulley on top did lol ,,,,, so i had to change to a 2 inch heavy duty pulley rated to 550 lbs compare to to ligh one a 175 lbs ,, bolt to the top with 1/4 inch bolt .. the pulley on bottom is held by 2 u bold that i can remove as i wish .. hope it help

cheer

Thanks all. I forgot to add that its steel. Basically it commercial handrail steel that I got at the local steel yard. I doubt that it will bend.

I'll try to dig up some pics I took last year before I put mine up. I went to 30ft last year. 44 "super strings" Each super string is 3 strings each made of 2 blue, 2red and 2 multi. Not sure how much weight but its a good bit :) I used a 21ft piece of EMT 2 1/4in then put a 10ft piece of 1 1/2 or 3/4 ( can't remember which now) metal pipe inside of that with 3 bolts holding it in place. I used a 4 to 3 in PVC reducer to attach my lights and the pulley system to. I ran 3 spt2 wires inside the pole for the star.

For the pulley system I used 3/16 brided cable. I have 2 pulleys on the top I its pulled up from 2 sides, and I used a 1500lb rated hand crank to winch it up. The only problems I have had are 1) getting the cable and the turn buckle used to connect it between the outside of the post and the inside of the 'head' and 2) even using guy wires the weigh at the top plus snow and wind and me bend in the 10ft pipe just above where its bolted into the 21ft piece of EMT.

If you would like the power point I did on how I made my tree PM me with your email address and I will send it to anyone that wants it.

Anthony

Maybe someone can tell me how to make smaller pictures too.

Edited by Anthony_In_Houston

Anthony said I could upload the files to my website. Here are the Links:

Mega Tree Calculator

Mega tree calculator will help you determine string length for any height tree or mini tree. It will also help you with spacing at ground level for any number of strings at any diameter.

Mega Tree Info

Mega tree Info is how I built my mega tree. The only thing different in the file from what I do now is I DON’T use a plastic coated cable I use the regular non coated cable and U-Bolts to attach the cable to the hub. The plastic coated cable will slip when clamped. My hub supported 120 strings or about 120 lbs of lights.

One other thing to think about. It usually is not a good idea to post your email address in a public forum. There are bots that scan web site and harvest email addresses. It is better to PM someone with your email address. I hope you have a good spam filter.

You may want to edit your posts and remove your email address.

Hi Guys:

I'm getting error messages that say that the files above are encrypted and to view them they must be unencrypted. Is it something on my end?

Thanks,

JK