Need Some Help With A Project!

Pumpkin King

Hey gang!

I'm needing some help figuring out how to wire some motors I pillaged from an old Power Wheels vehicle so I can use them to raise and lower a screen for my Halloween display. I want to use LOR to control it (I have a LOR 16 channel DC controller already), but I need someone to help me figure out what wires should go where and how to hook it up without blowing or burning anything up! I'm in Utah, so if there is anyone in the Salt Lake City area that would like to come by on a Saturday, and help me figure this out, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

BTW, I do have the 12v battery charger that the Power Wheels came with.

Thanks!

No to be a downer, but those motors you pulled from the toy aren't going to do you much good for raising and lowering a heavy screen. Those motors are geared for speed, not torque, and won't work very well, if at all, for what you want to do. You either need to gear them down or just find motors that are already geared down to a very low RPM, something around 60-70 is what I suggest.

As far as control, I don't think you want these controlled directly by the DC board, I'm not even sure it's doable, at least not if you want the motor to reverse. I suggest getting 4 relays and wiring them so that when you turn one pair of relays on using the LOR controller the screen goes one direction and when you turn the other pair on the screen goes the opposite direction.I can help you with a diagram for this if need be.

No to be a downer, but those motors you pulled from the toy aren't going to do you much good for raising and lowering a heavy screen. Those motors are geared for speed, not torque, and won't work very well, if at all, for what you want to do. You either need to gear them down or just find motors that are already geared down to a very low RPM, something around 60-70 is what I suggest. As far as control, I don't think you want these controlled directly by the DC board, I'm not even sure it's doable, at least not if you want the motor to reverse. I suggest getting 4 relays and wiring them so that when you turn one pair of relays on using the LOR controller the screen goes one direction and when you turn the other pair on the screen goes the opposite direction.I can help you with a diagram for this if need be.

Here's the thing, the motors are from a Power Wheels that 30-50 lb. kids ride on. PLUS, the motors aren't going to be lifting a very heavy screen. It's probably only going to weigh 10 lbs. MAXIMUM. So, they should work as they still have their gears attached!

The vehicle had a reverse switch on it, so it's already wired for that. The way I figure, one channel going to the "forward" relay, and another going to the "reverse" relay. Again the whole thing is already wired up for forward and reverse from one single power source. It just needs to be split, or something, so that it works properly using two separate channels.

What I REALLY need is someone here in Utah to come by and take a look at this and help me figure it out. I think it's a simple set-up, but I'm not too good at figuring out electrical stuff on my own.

I should probably clarify that I gutted the Power Wheels with all the motors and wiring COMPLETELY intact. Nothing has been cut or removed from the original wiring relay.

Edited by disney-fan-reborn

What am I going to need to hook this up to my LOR controller? Should I use the LOR 16-DC or the regular PC-16? I don't want to blow anything in the controller, so am I needing something special to hook it up? Like I said, I have the 12v wall plug that was used to charge the Power Wheels battery. Can I use that, or do I need something else?