Mini Director

This is my first year using LOR controllers. I bought three PC-CTB16PC's and they all work great. I do not want to have them powered by my computer though, I see I can purchase a Mini Director and it runs it off a memory card. I have a few questions though for those that have used this product: http://store.lightorama.com/midiwimp3pl.html. I have not purchased it yet.

1. if it doesn't have an internal clock and is powered by the controller, how do I turn it on? Can I run a timer to the controller itself? Will the show start when the timer clicks on if I do that?

2. Can this sit outside in the weather or should it be placed in an enclosure or indoors? I live in Iowa so we get snow and very cold temperatures.

3. Is this a quality product? Is there something else that works better?

I think that is all for the moment. Very interested in comments from the experts before I purchase the product. Thanks in advance for your advice.

1. Run the mini-director off of a timer. There are instructions within the mini-director manual on what is needed for a power supply. You'd then connect that to the timer.

2. I would put it in some sort of enclosure. It's not a weatherproof device.

3. I know of displays that ran off the mini-director in 2010, and they had much (much) more than 3 controllers. You should have no problems with 3 controllers. From a LOR standpoint, the only other device that you could run you shows with would be the Showtime Director. It's more expensive, though it will let you run schedule shows to run at certain times.

I run my display (9 controllers) with a mini-dtrector off of a timer with a power supply and this will be the 3rd year for it. The mini-director is a very good quality product, but as Don said it is not weatherproof. I keep mine in the garage with my radio, all run off the same timer.

Earle

This is my box setup using a mini director.

Box has the mini director, transmitter, and IDMX. The transmitter and Mini Director are connected to a digital timer. That way if you have a power failure your display still starts on time.

The IDMX was powered 24/7

Unit was mounted on a post on the front porch under the eaves.

post-5382-0-09681400-1314885677.jpg

Edited by Dennis Cherry

One more thing you might consider, I keep mine on my desktop by my computer in the Den and use LOR's Light Linker to my first controller and Cat 5 to the others that way if I want to change shows I can pull out the SD card and insert another one without going out in the cold...........Guess I'm just lazy. But it works quite well that way

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, very helpful! Is it easy to connect a power supply to the mini director? I am not very proficient with the internal workings of electronics.

Bumping this up again to ask this question. I know to connect an external power supply I need to buy a 9volt power supply, and I know which ports to connect the wires to, but I am still a little confused. The power supplies I have seen have a specific connector on the end. Do I cut that off and split the wire? Any help would be appreciated.

Just split the wire and connect to mini director.......If the light dosen't come on just reverse the wires...........Make sure the MD dosen't have the cat 5 cable atttached when your doing this , just in case you have the polarity reversed.