Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Entropy

Who Sells Black Coro?

I was out today checking a couple of local hobby shops for black coro. Nothing. Would anyone know a West coast retailer that sells black coro?

I want to make a couple of little singing ghosts for Grim Grinning Ghosts background singers. The pumpkin is doing the Thurl Ravenscroft part.

I don't know about the west coast, but on the east coast, AlumaPanel doese sell all sorts of colors.

You can try a Sign Shops, they will have some for you to buy. Have you tried searching for wholesale corooplast?

also, you can get free coro by taking the political signs and advertising signs when they are no longer used. Here where I live, the Code Enforcement Department for the county has a ton of them. All you have to do is ask they they will give you more than you could ever want.

They take the signs that are put on the right-of-way of the streets, because we have a county code that says one can't put signs there.

You can buy Black paint to spray on while to make it black. Krylon for Plastic. You will need a lot of black paint.

I was out today checking a couple of local hobby shops for black coro. Nothing. Would anyone know a West coast retailer that sells black coro?

I want to make a couple of little singing ghosts for Grim Grinning Ghosts background singers. The pumpkin is doing the Thurl Ravenscroft part.

It's funny you should mention this - I wonder what's going on in the world of Black Coro. I purchased everything one vendor had and another said they only had 15 sheets and it was a 2 week wait for the next production run. Halloween?

What if I made up 8 little pumpkins, each under 11.5" x 11.5" that would come with stakes so you could put them out in your yard, flowbed, etc. Each one would have 100-200 bulbs. Alternatively, they would come in a single panel and you could leave them "whole" or seperate them. Here is a sample:

babypumpkins.jpg

These would of course go perfect with the HolidayCoro Singing Pumpkin which already includes the sequences for the other 8 pumpkins.

Let me know what you think.

David

HolidayCoro.com

What if I made up 8 little pumpkins, each under 11.5" x 11.5" that would come with stakes so you could put them out in your yard, flowbed, etc. Each one would have 100-200 bulbs. Alternatively, they would come in a single panel and you could leave them "whole" or seperate them. Here is a sample:

These would of course go perfect with the HolidayCoro Singing Pumpkin which already includes the sequences for the other 8 pumpkins.

David

HolidayCoro.com

David: I would go for a set of these. (great suppliment to my display)

Jerrymac

Edited by jerrymac

I'd buy a set of those...No fancy animation, just some pumpkin faces....My son would enjoy stuffing them...

Randy

Home Depot online sells 10pks of 8x4 one side black, one side white.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202489118/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I just received my shipment. The description doesn't specifically say black and white, but one side was black on all my sheets.

I verified that this is the item# i ordered.

Good luck.

Eric

Edited by thebaronn

I worked on the faces again today and it appears to get the level of detail they will need to be a little larger than 12"x12", most likely 22" x 22" with 200 or so bulbs (I'm shooting for an exact 200 right now so that you won't have bulbs left over.) They will be designed with little "legs" around the bottom border for mounting with with included 9ga steel rods (like realtor signs). They will be cut with the unique pumpkin outline for each one.

I'll be offering a limited time discount to those that have already purchased the Singing Pumpkin, if you are on the HolidayCoro mailing list, you'll receive the discount code. I'll also be offering a Singing Pumpkin + Mini Pumpkin combo pack with no additional shipping charge.

No word on pricing right now, though it will take one full 4x8 sheet to produce them all.

If there are any more requests on design changes, please do speak up now as once I get them completely designed and tested, it's harder to go back and "tweek" them.

Thanks!

David

HolidaCoro.com

Home Depot online sells 10pks of 8x4 one side black, one side white.

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

I just received my shipment. The description doesn't specifically say black and white, but one side was black on all my sheets.

"WhiteCap" is a black/white coro produced only by CoroPlast themselves (http://catalog.coroplast.com/plasticor-whitecap/) It's intended to be used in the construction industry. It's really the best of "both" worlds since you have half white and half black (mostly).

I'm curious - did the sheets come as "complete" whole sheets, not folded or cut-up? Could you post a photo of them so I can compare them to my sample?

It's funny you should mention this - I wonder what's going on in the world of Black Coro. I purchased everything one vendor had and another said they only had 15 sheets and it was a 2 week wait for the next production run. Halloween?

babypumpkins.jpg

David

HolidayCoro.com

I saw where another member did that. If I can't get some plastic pumpkins cheap, I'll go with that. The problem then will be getting the orange lights. They're pretty expensive this time of year.

The problem then will be getting the orange lights. They're pretty expensive this time of year.

Problem solved:

The description doesn't specifically say black and white, but one side was black on all my sheets.

Eric -

That's really not a bad deal for 4x8 sheets, uncut, delivered. The shipping and box alone would cost more than the coro for me.

One question though - you mention "but one side was black on all my sheets". Your photo looks like it is 100% black on both sides - is it really black AND white or just solid black?

A company called Beacon graphics sells all colors and very reasonable. I think you have to order it in 10 sheet paks though for shipping stability. I think it was like 10 to 12 dollars for the coro plus shipping.

I finally found a place here in Arizona that sells sheets individually and they look like they are out of California as well (you said West Coast). they are roughly $15-$16 for a sheet that is 8'x4'. Not sure if that is good or not but have had a very difficult time trying to find anyplace that will sell them. Sign shops say they don't sell the sheets by themselves.

Also, has anyone tried to do a full size Grinch? I was hoping to do one until I found out the cost of having a picture enlarged to even a 4'x4' is going to cost me $96.

Would love any feed back. I have never used coro before and hoping to start. Have you guys had plenty of success using this product? Would yo recommend buying the cutting tool up front now?

Thank you,

T

Whoops, I forgot the name of the store that sells the sheets of coro - Montroy Supply.

Otherwise the Home Depot grouping of 15 sheets seemed good as well.

t

Would love any feed back. I have never used coro before and hoping to start. Have you guys had plenty of success using this product? Would yo recommend buying the cutting tool up front now?

Coro is a wonderful material for outdoor use! If you are cutting along the flute (the long 8ft length) the only way to go is with a CoroClaw. For cuts across the grain of the coro, a VERY sharp knife (box knife) works best.

there is the regular coroclaw, and the coro claw for 10 mill coro. i have both and find them very useful. I use my electric jigsaw to cut the patterns out. I keep it on a slow speed. Coro melts from the friction if you cut too fast with an electric type saw blade. I love working with Coro. to me, it is better than plywood, as it is light weight, waterproof, easy to work with, easy to paint.