Help! Gemmy Santa Is Ill And Won't Move His Hips :(

anitapia

I bought a 5ft singing and dancing Gemmy Santa off of EBAY. He is in EXCELLENT CONDITION but he won't sway his hips or move his arms. He will move his head back and forth and he will sing but his body won't move. I see two green wires coming out of one of his pant legs. I was told that I can return him if I wanted but I would rather fix him. Any suggestions? It is just me that will be fixing him so please make the instructions as simple as possible because and I am not quite use to fixing Santa.

Thanks!!!!

Edited by anitapia

I wish I could help. Gemmy makes their products disposable and is all but proud of that fact - they tell you to return the product to the store if it's within 90 days, and basically that you're out of luck if not - they don't stock any parts.

Virtually any product I buy from any *other* manufacturer says *don't* return the product to the store if parts are missing, but to call them and they will quickly send out the parts (I've had to do this in some cases and it works well). Add to that that the products are designed so that they work for a year or two. My Ferris wheel made it one season. It was given to me but should have cost $200. Others have bought the $300 "LED tree trios" and have had them fail after a few rains (on an outdoor-rated product!)

Gemmy's policies are a joke. Sorry for venting - maybe someone else here can help you but it won't be Gemmy.

-Tim

If Santa's arms and head move, the problem may be a simple adjustment. You mentioned that you saw two green wires coming out of his pant leg. The green wires should be connected to a small adjustment device, in technical terms; it’s called a potentiometer or pot. By turning this adjustment with a small screwdriver, you can adjust the speed of Santa’s hips. If you cannot adjust any movement, then the problem is in the control board or wiring.

• 2 months later...

and it's so difficult to get into the "core" of that thing. I had one and they use rubber bands as motor belts. The rubber band had popped. I could hear the motor spinning, but no movement. Try to turn down the volume and see if u can hear the motor running. If not, most likely broken wire, since that thing actually compresses to half its height for storage.