Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Tremor30

Coro Snowman Project

It was $200 to get all 4 snowman and the tune to sign printed. Then I bought two more sheets of coro ($40) and then some hot glue! Oh yeah and 600 lights for each one!

Another option for adding color to coro sheets lit from behind that I have used for signs is to buy adhesive sign vinyl sheeting. It's adhesive like contact paper. You cut out the shape you want with a knife or scissors. Most colors are pretty translucent. Many business signs you see lit up are made using this. It's also used to make the lettering your see on on cars, trucks and boats. Lots of colors available and it holds it's color pretty well and you can use sharpies to draw black outlines or designs on it. I have bought some at FedEx Office (Kinko's). They sell it (uncut) by the square foot for about $8. They can also cut out all your patterns but that gets quite pricey ($12 sq. ft.). Using a scissors is just fine for me! You can save LOTS by buying it online by the roll. This place has it for $16 a roll of 15" by 10 yards. http://www.bestblank.../signvinyl.html May be other places that are cheaper and there are sales out there.

Edited by DugsterM

This opens some new possibilities for next year. I'm luck enough to have a vinyl cutter so I'd love to give that a try. My surface is only 9" wide but I have cut larger by separating the sections.

Don't know, Google it. I made my own hot wire cutting table with a half sheet of ply, dimmer switch, and an old car battery charger that I had laying around. The limited depth of a hot wire knife was prohibitive on larger lawn figurines.

more details. It looks illuminated. How is that done?

O.K. Darlene, It has been 5 days now since your post, How many have you made this way by now? -:)

IF you're poking the minis through the coro without a hole, I have a simple solution. $7.97 Soldering iron from Wal-mart makes a perfect hole to put the mini's through. Once it heats up, you can poke about 300 holes in 20 minutes if you have them pre-marked. Saved a lot of time when I did my yard sign this year.

Safety Note: Use it in a well ventilated area. The coro being burned with the iron causes some rancid fumes. May even be hazardous.

Those things are fantastic and JUST what i need. we made 16 snowmen out of plywood this season and, in addition to difficulty in assembly, they just didn't turn out as nice as we wanted once lit up. I'm also VERY concerned about storage as i can see a gazillion lights getting busted in the process. These put my fears to rest and look 100x better.

Great Job!

It was $200 to get all 4 snowman and the tune to sign printed. Then I bought two more sheets of coro ($40) and then some hot glue! Oh yeah and 600 lights for each one!

Nice Job!

I've been think about doing much the same. Seeing yours proves that it works well so I'm going to proceed along this route.

I've found a local, well in my case 50 miles is local, printer in the Southern California area that has a flat bed printer that can print full 4x8 foot sheets of Coro with a cost between $1 and $2 a SqFt. That's even less than what Build a Sign charges but with them you can't get larger than 24 x 24 or 18 x 30.

For the Coro that's not printed there is a CoroPlast Distributor, there listed on the CoroPlast web page, just a few miles away and there prices look really nice for small quantity. The charge around $10 for white and $12 for black for 4 x 8 sheets.

So between what I will get from David and what I can build I think I'm covered.

Again, I really like what you've done.

John

Edited by Timon

I speak along with everyone else on this thread and say Job Well Done.

Those snow people look GREAT and that Tree is AWESOME!!!

I am still new to this hobby but this opens the door to many ideas in my head, most of which should be set aside for therapy sessions but thats another subject. LOL

Thanks for sharing the information, Very Well Done!!

I wish you had a pic of how the lights are installed and that perforated roll of coro in the 4th pic what is that is it bought like that can you please explain a little more tyvm but these look very good nice job im thinking about making snowflakes like this for the sides of my home but great work and if you have a pic of the lights can we see it thnx

David,

Just to let you know, I did get my coro snowman, but due to a very sick kid and now a sick wife (and thus forcing me to take care of the kids), I've barely had time to even unpack it from the shipping box, let alone light it.  :-(

That said, it looks very good.    Very happy with the design.  I love the optional hat and scarf and stuff and am likely to make this a 12 channel setup to turn on/off the various optional things depending on the look I want for each song.   

Dan