Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Vintage_Decor

Menards Christmas Molds

I stopped at 3 Menards today to see if they had their molds out. Two of them had some molds out and the third had shelf tags for the molds, but no molds. This is a smaller store (Richfield MN) so they don't always carry everything Menards has that particular year, but this is what they had:

Snoopy 59.99

Santa in Sleigh 79.99

Extra Deer for sleigh 31.99

40" Snowman 39.99

34" Snowman 29.99

Santa with Stocking 39.99

Dancing Santa 39.99

36" Santa Face (didn't have this last year) 49.99

Red Lamp Post (didn't have this last year) 15.99

Noel Candle 14.99

Penguin (both colors) 21.99

35" White Teddy Bear (didn't have this last year) 34.99

Soldier 14.99

Drummer Boy (didn't have this last year) 29.99

Stable 79.99

Painted Holy Family 54.99

Marble Holy Family 54.99

Wisemen set 79.99

Cow 15.99

Donkey 15.99

Shepherd 39.99

Sheep 11.99

Camel 29.99

I didn't see shelf tags for choir people, angels, Mr & Mrs Claus, 48" Santa or Snowman. Maybe they are still coming.

The store closest to me (West St Paul) has leftovers of the 48" pieces. Finding leftovers may be the only way to get them this year.

We now have a Menards here in Cincinnati so I will have to go check them out. My one dream is to find a Santa Train but noone ever seems to sell it. The fact that there were left over pieces of the 48" Santa and Snowman might be the reason they don't have them this year. It's a shame they were a poor seller. Plus, they never were in the General Foam catalog (that I'm aware of).... maybe they didn't produce them this year. Glad to know that those molds do still exist.

Edited by Empire Fanatic

I stopped at 3 Menards today to see if they had their molds out. Two of them had some molds out and the third had shelf tags for the molds, but no molds. This is a smaller store (Richfield MN) so they don't always carry everything Menards has that particular year, but this is what they had:

Snoopy 59.99

Santa in Sleigh 79.99

Extra Deer for sleigh 31.99

40" Snowman 39.99

34" Snowman 29.99

Santa with Stocking 39.99

Dancing Santa 39.99

36" Santa Face (didn't have this last year) 49.99

Red Lamp Post (didn't have this last year) 15.99

Noel Candle 14.99

Penguin (both colors) 21.99

35" White Teddy Bear (didn't have this last year) 34.99

Soldier 14.99

Drummer Boy (didn't have this last year) 29.99

Stable 79.99

Painted Holy Family 54.99

Marble Holy Family 54.99

Wisemen set 79.99

Cow 15.99

Donkey 15.99

Shepherd 39.99

Sheep 11.99

Camel 29.99

I didn't see shelf tags for choir people, angels, Mr & Mrs Claus, 48" Santa or Snowman. Maybe they are still coming.

The store closest to me (West St Paul) has leftovers of the 48" pieces. Finding leftovers may be the only way to get them this year.

Everything listed here by Bill is all Menards is carrying this year, which is still a lot. They will not have the 48'' Santa or snowman, or Mr. & Mrs. Claus.

I hit a Menards in the city yesterday and I was excited to see a few molds out, but no Snoopy. I will buy the first one that I see in person, regardless of which store.

Bill are those pictures from the Eden Prairie store?

Tim, these photos are from Cottage Grove. I was in the Eden Prairie store on Wednesday and they were just starting to put the molds out. I'll probably go there during lunch and see if they're done. I may even try taking a few photos just to see if I can get away with it :)

... The fact that there were left over pieces of the 48" Santa and Snowman might be the reason they don't have them this year. It's a shame they were a poor seller. ...

I think part of the problem locally is that we had a lot of bad weather early in the season. If you didn't have your display out before Thanksgiving you may not have wanted to put one out, and therefore not wanted any new molds (these are "normal" decorators I'm talking about...people on this board would have bought the molds in September). I remember scrambling the day before Thanksgiving to get things out before the sleet and snow rolled in. I didn't get everything out I wanted to but after the sleet and snow came I didn't feel like putting more out. I heard on the radio a couple days ago we can expect the same kind of winter this year.

Last year at Menards 50% off sale, the only item I couldn't purchase at half off were the penguins. Everything else was still available (although not all at the same store, you would have had to hit a few to find everything except the penguins).

Bill, thanks for the pictures and price list, this is one of those posts that I look forward to every September. No angels this year...hmmmm Hasn't Menards always carried at least one angel for the nativity?

Bill, thanks for the pictures and price list, this is one of those posts that I look forward to every September. No angels this year...hmmmm Hasn't Menards always carried at least one angel for the nativity?

I remember years where they didn't have an angel of any size, but that didn't happen often.

Tim, these photos are from Cottage Grove. I was in the Eden Prairie store on Wednesday and they were just starting to put the molds out. I'll probably go there during lunch and see if they're done. I may even try taking a few photos just to see if I can get away with it :)

Hopefully the photo-Nazi's won't nab you like they did me! I worked from home yesterday so I'll have to check it out Monday at the soonest. That Snoopy mold is tempting - I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me.

Hopefully the photo-Nazi's won't nab you like they did me! I worked from home yesterday so I'll have to check it out Monday at the soonest. That Snoopy mold is tempting - I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me.

I went on Friday but didn't take photos. I've taken pics in this store before without any problems. The manager must have been busy yelling at others.

The molds are all out but they put them high on shelves out of reach of anyone without a ladder. I imagine once they get all the furniture moved out they'll bring them down.

Why Why don't they build a Menards up here!!! It's not fair Curse you Massachusetts real estate $$$$

I read an article awhile back about how John Menard is getting up there in age -- near 70, I believe, and nobody in his family is really poised to take over. The speculation was that they'd probably sell the company, and perhaps whoever buys it would take it nationwide. They made a big deal about how Menards has always expanded slowly and carefully. The example they gave was how Home Depot announced (years ago) they were coming to the Chicago market - Menards considered that "their territory" and was able to beat them with a number of stores opened before HD opened any stores. But otherwise they're pretty content to remain in the Midwest, although it seems they expand a little outward each year. Around here they're slowly upgrading all their aging stores to compete with HD and Lowes. HD entered our market maybe 15 years ago, and Lowes just over 5... Menards has been here since the early 80's, I'm told.

I read an article awhile back about how John Menard is getting up there in age -- near 70, I believe, and nobody in his family is really poised to take over. The speculation was that they'd probably sell the company, and perhaps whoever buys it would take it nationwide. They made a big deal about how Menards has always expanded slowly and carefully. The example they gave was how Home Depot announced (years ago) they were coming to the Chicago market - Menards considered that "their territory" and was able to beat them with a number of stores opened before HD opened any stores. But otherwise they're pretty content to remain in the Midwest, although it seems they expand a little outward each year. Around here they're slowly upgrading all their aging stores to compete with HD and Lowes. HD entered our market maybe 15 years ago, and Lowes just over 5... Menards has been here since the early 80's, I'm told.

When I called and asked if Menards would ever expand to Florida, I was told they just expanded into Kentucky and it would be awhile as they had to cover all states in between.

If anyone was looking into getting any molds from Menards they better make it quick. The Menards near me has already sold thru half of the molds they got in. There is only one Snoopy left and the Nativity sets....GONE! The only thing left is one box of the wise dudes, a week ago there were several of each item.....not so much now.

Wow! It must be so cool to be able to walk into a store and be totally surrounded by so many blow molds! Thanks for the pics, Bill, I just drooled all over my keyboard.