Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Christmasjunkie

Anybody Hanging Lights Yet?

My 17 artificial trees are put together now! Anyone want to help fluff them up :) I dread that part. Takes forever for the one living room tree alone.

Started the roof outline w/ my C9 White, Green, and Red LEDs. Will do the icicle lights and meteor lights after that.

Probably will start the meteor lights and wrapping of my oak tree afterwards.

But like many others, I won't put anything in the yard until after Halloween.

I don't think anyone would mess with it, but why take the chance and temp the little boogers to destory my stuff.

Going to put the deer and a sleigh up on the roof this year - first time doing so! So I'm still working on the details of how the heck I'm going to do it.

But I think my game plan will work! :)

Who knows... Maybe I'll truly have "flying reindeer" :)

I can't start until Thanksgiving :angry: . HOA rules. I am planning to have my garage cleaned out this weekend, so I can have everything ready for set-up. I also want to program a new song for this year but I don't know if I can do it in 3 weeks.(I love a good challenge)

HOA's don't seem to be "light friendly" I've met a few people that hate it because they own the home and can't do many of the things they'd like to. Or, they have to have approval by the other home owners. Really? Can anyone help me understand WHY someone considers buying a home in that type of situation? I've lived in a small town all my life and believe that people have the right do do what they please(with in reason) with their home.

Going to put the deer and a sleigh up on the roof this year - first time doing so! So I'm still working on the details of how the heck I'm going to do it.

But I think my game plan will work! :)

Who knows... Maybe I'll truly have "flying reindeer" :)

I have VERTUAL flying reindeer, thanks to LOR haha :D

To anchor mine down, I used a 2x2' piece of 3/4" plywood with a 2x4 x2' screwed onto the bottom of it(primer/painted). I then install eyelets and zip the legs to the 2x2' plywood. The have NEVER blown over in the past 3 years and are easy to manage/move/store without having any help. They require NO sand bags to keep them in place either.

Today is homework and wiring 4 LOR controllers. No outside work... I'm saving that for Friday.

The rule here is "no decorations of any kind are allowed in the yard until 30 days prior to the holiday, and they must be removed with-in 30 days after the holiday." To help me with this I am cleaning out my garage and will have most things set up in there. Also this year I am not going to put any lights on the house but put most of my efforts on lighting the yard (ground). One bad thing is that a lot of my inflatables can't go up, they will way over power the yard. The good news for this year is that unlike the last subdivision that I lived in is its not a gated community, so the public can now come look at the display. I will give up a little setup time for letting the general public a chance to see the display.

I am zip tying C6 lights to 3/4 inch PVC, and with 4 inch spacing between 3 colors, its turned into quite a task, but boy will this save me time next year, now of course if a string of LED's goes out, then I'm back to the drawing board! But just hookin them up to the gutters is pretty slick! I might work on something like this for the roofline for next year, not enough tme this year...I hang em as I finish each 22 foot section..people yelling at me...ITS TOO EARLY...I'm like shut the hell up, I'm 4 weeks behind schedule!

The rule here is "no decorations of any kind are allowed in the yard until 30 days prior to the holiday, and they must be removed with-in 30 days after the holiday." To help me with this I am cleaning out my garage and will have most things set up in there. Also this year I am not going to put any lights on the house but put most of my efforts on lighting the yard (ground). One bad thing is that a lot of my inflatables can't go up, they will way over power the yard. The good news for this year is that unlike the last subdivision that I lived in is its not a gated community, so the public can now come look at the display. I will give up a little setup time for letting the general public a chance to see the display.

Wow, would I be breaking that rule!

I don't know how you feel about floods. Maybe a color wash of red/green/clear/blue on the house would look nice. Also I suggest wreaths on each window with red bow. Attractive and easy to take down in a snap! Going with ground decorations is probably the best thing for you to do. By the way how do others in the neighborhood do their decorating. What are their thoughts?

I am zip tying C6 lights to 3/4 inch PVC, and with 4 inch spacing between 3 colors, its turned into quite a task, but boy will this save me time next year, now of course if a string of LED's goes out, then I'm back to the drawing board! But just hookin them up to the gutters is pretty slick! I might work on something like this for the roofline for next year, not enough tme this year...I hang em as I finish each 22 foot section..people yelling at me...ITS TOO EARLY...I'm like shut the hell up, I'm 4 weeks behind schedule!

Just did this last week... I attached a 3/4" pvc pipe to two 1x4 x8' board. I clipped 6 different stings of lights to them using shingle clips. I made 2 of these setups for my roof line (primer/painted before installing the lights) and I'll put them on the roof peek. Just gotta take them up there and test them out :)

Relxerd, I have been thinking of doing a color wash on the house. Everyone around here does the "typical" decorating. 1 or 2 lighted deer in the yard, and a string of lights across the roof line that's about it. Mabe an inflatable.

My HOA has the same rule but I'm one of the lucky ones cause I usually start decorating around November 1st or when ever Halloween is done coming down. I have yet to get a complaint but I do start with the least visable light such as bushes trees and 2nd story roof outline. Than when it gets within a couple of days of the 30 day window than I start the more visable stuff like icicles leaping arches and mega tree. Then 4 to 5 days before lights go on I put up all the inflatables and wire frames so less time for them to get messed with. I do realize that I'm fortunate that my HOA don't harrass me.

The rule here is "no decorations of any kind are allowed in the yard until 30 days prior to the holiday, and they must be removed with-in 30 days after the holiday." . . . .

I would take the position that lights are not "decorations" if they are not lit. I would think that you can put up as many lights as you want now, so you really don't have the HOA excuse. Blow Molds would be a problem and you might have to wait on those.

Edited by BaldEagleChristmas

Nice, that looks like my basement! Although with 1,200 lights on my artificial trees, I don't bother to fluff. I just make sure there are no holes. Fluffing is extra work that is really not necessary. That looks like fun though! Just curious, how do you anchor the trees to the ground?

Bald Eagle Christmas - I have the same type of tree you have. It has grown about 10' since last year and we had a heck of a time decorating it then. Unfortunately I can't get a lift in my yard so I don't know what I will do.

Nice, that looks like my basement! Although with 1,200 lights on my artificial trees, I don't bother to fluff. I just make sure there are no holes. Fluffing is extra work that is really not necessary. That looks like fun though! Just curious, how do you anchor the trees to the ground?

I am curious about this also. I bought 7 of those trees for this years display. I am thinking about using rebar and just slide the tree on the rebar.

I am curious about this also. I bought 7 of those trees for this years display. I am thinking about using rebar and just slide the tree on the rebar.

Thats how i do it. For the 2' trees I use 18" rebar. For the 6-8' tree i use 4' rebar in the ground 2'. Was just curious if there were another way to do it. Never had a tree fall over yet.

Looks like I will be doing the same. Started with one tree, and by the time I added 400 each of clear, red, and green, there just isn't anymore room. They were pre-lit with 400 clear, so I'd like to add 1 or 2 more strands of red and green to balance out the color brightness, but where do I put them? :)

Looks like I will be doing the same. Started with one tree, and by the time I added 400 each of clear, red, and green, there just isn't anymore room. They were pre-lit with 400 clear, so I'd like to add 1 or 2 more strands of red and green to balance out the color brightness, but where do I put them? :)

I use them as a Holdman tree line...
Mine were the same way, 400 clear lights. I added 400 green and red. I think they look good. Sure more lights is always better, but I also must balance the load on the electrical panel and on those controllers.

So today I'm doing some more controller work and making super sets of lights (LED C7 multi + cool white + blue incandescent lights). I'm crossing my fingers for 6 channel control on each display element.

I use them as a Holdman tree line...

That was my intention as well...with a twist. Here's the facebook fan page I've got as of now. It has some LOR screen shots posted, you can see what the plan is. At work, so can't upload pics right now.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lighting-Up-Paxton-The-Johnson-Christmas-Display/162786773815691

Just finished cleaning out the garage and picking up a truck load of decorations that I don't have room to store. I'll post some pics soon.

That was my intention as well...with a twist. Here's the facebook fan page I've got as of now. It has some LOR screen shots posted, you can see what the plan is. At work, so can't upload pics right now.

http://www.facebook....162786773815691

Very impressive... I use the Colorado Pine tree from Walmart... Couldn't make out which one you have in the pic, but they are 1, cheep 2, easy to set up.

Looking at display pic, I see your intentions. Very nice! all clear lights? Planning to do red/green too? I really like your layout. Maybe some time i'll upload a pic and use it in the LOR visualizer the way you have. good work!

Very impressive... I use the Colorado Pine tree from Walmart... Couldn't make out which one you have in the pic, but they are 1, cheep 2, easy to set up.

Looking at display pic, I see your intentions. Very nice! all clear lights? Planning to do red/green too? I really like your layout. Maybe some time i'll upload a pic and use it in the LOR visualizer the way you have. good work!

Thanks. That's exactly what they are, the Colorado Pines from Walmart. The pics with the clear lights were from a couple years ago. The display was always clear lights only...I really like that look. Unfortunately those massive bushes had to be torn out last year when we re-roofed and did some restoration work. That's what the new trees are for...to replace the bushes.

Bald Eagle Christmas - I have the same type of tree you have. It has grown about 10' since last year and we had a heck of a time decorating it then. Unfortunately I can't get a lift in my yard so I don't know what I will do.

This is the only tree that I have committed to going to the top of, no matter what. I am lucky that it is by our road. If I couldn't get a bucket truck close, I guess I would consider 2 scissor lifts or scaffolding on two sides to get the tallest part done.

40,000 out and it's time to get serious.

My goal is to have a "lights up" count equal to 20% of Bills. I'm behind. But, I ALWAYS feel behind when I read PC, so maybe I'm acutally on schedule. I don't know, so the safe money is on that I'm behind.

I talked with one of the board members of my HOA, he didn't see the problem with me putting lights on the house now as long as they are not turned on. He will be checking later today with some of the other board members to make sure its o.k. so I might be starting to put up lights before the end of the week. :)