Controlling Static Elements

I have a pretty decent amount of static elements in my display. Normally I just set them up to regular ole timers but this year I want to control them by computer like my LOR, what kinda setup do I need to do this. I read about x-10 and and others but I am at a loss and need guidance. I am kinda just thinking of buying an LOR and a set them to static but thats a little to much. I guess I could get around to sequencing them. Alright now I'm just thinking while typing here. Let me know Thanks

Are you basically just wanting to turn them all on at the same time? I have used defined purpose contactors to turn on the breakers that my lights are plugged into. It works really nice. Right now I have two of them controlling 4 breakers. Now that I use LOR, I don't really use them the way they were originally installed for.

I use a product called Insteon from Smart Home. They have outdoor modules and you run the timer via a computer/USB interface. I just use my show computer to run the entire display between this and the LOR schedule. I like it works and it is WAY more reliable than X10. No matter what, there is always the possibility of interference within your electrical system, and they offer filters etc...

Thes modules turn on my entire static display 5 minutes before my show kicks off each night, then turns the static display off, 5 minutes after the show ends. I have used this now for 4 years since my other system crapped out.

Edited by zman

I use a digital timer that controls contactors that control all of my outside outlets. These are installed inside near the electrical service entry. That way all of my mostly static display comes on exactly at the same time every night. For those elements where I fiddle around with LOR, the computer controls those lights after the contactors have tripped and the circuits have power. Each contactor can control up to 4 20 amp circuits. Mine were installed by an electrician.