Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
santabob

Anyone Hanging Lights ?

If you have seen invasion of the Christmas lights some people start in September. Lets see some pics if you have started building your display.

Did the outline of my roof yesterday.

1st time I have where I didn't freeze my butt off!

6 sets up one to go!

Might do the windows and door next week.

...its begining to look a like Christmas....

Invasion of the Christmas lights......I vaguely remember the show.......Getting a late start but they are going up, just dont have time for pictures. Maybe in a week or two.

If you have seen invasion of the Christmas lights some people start in September. Lets see some pics if you have started building your display.

We got 3 mega trees up and got 10 driveway arches done this last weekend..rbg ropelight from birddogdistributing..wiring Merry Christmas sign now....

Edited by krusaders

I will start in a few weeks. Will get everything up high on the roof taken care of before the cooler days. We've had such a strange summer that I'm afraid it might be a rough winter.

Wow. I only thought I was a little behind because I just started some new cut outs. Guess its time to shift into high gear. I'll be starting my display in November.

I don't know why, but questions like this REALLY bother me!!! Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy!!!

Have a Sugar cookie and eggnog, you will feel better. :D

I don't know why, but questions like this REALLY bother me!!! Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy!!!

I'm with you. My first reaction was "are you kidding?" -- the leaves haven't even started to fall yet!

I have to waite to rake the leaves for the back yard....and Halloween stuff to come down. This weekend I take inventory, been 2 years since last display so I'm lost. I have new inflatables to use so.... funny, cleaning garage kinda got me ramped up to go? :P .

I started to hang lights last week,!!, boy it feels so good to be doing it again, and so nice when we have nice weather to do it in !!

i have been working on lights being hung and working on repainting and restringing some stuff. also buying more stuff, never enough :) I have the swag lights hung on my wall, the roof trim is done, need to get some led icicles, the ones from last year did not work already this year, they were the elcheapo brand though. i also have the lights around the windows and my backdoor done. might work on the trees tomorrow (pine anyway)

Started two weeks ago. It is taking longer and longer. I am having to change the way that I set up too. I am only putting out clear lights that I can first because the Florida sun fades everything. Next year I should pick up 4 days. That is how long it would take to do the roof, all 24,000 lights. All that walking up and down kills my legs and back. This year I am making "grids" for each channel out of PVC. I am making them on the roof to ensure they fit right and leaving them as I go. Once they are all done, I will take them down and put the lights on at ground level, then just "slide" them back up into place.

Next year, I just pull the labeled grids out, and POW, POW, POW. Should be awesome. I never take lights off unless they burn out or fade. Anyway, yes I have definitely started. The mega tree bases are up, I will finish the grids next weekend, get alll the reindeer up, mega's completed and everyhting else, the two weeks before Thanksgiving.

Doing a time-lapse video of the setup for giggles. Not even close to having all the lights up yet! Taking the first two weeks off in November to "git 'er dun".

Edited by Flanigan

I have to wait for the leaves to fall, plants to die, grass trimmed for the last time, and sprinklers shut up. So Thanksgiving weekend, Wednesday, Houston gives me the tho and we will have liftoff.

Got my ridiculously overbuilt tube steel roof star on the roof (2nd row of pictures):

http://riegerchristmas.com/pictures.html

I don't know if your star is overbuilt; but, I do know that your wife is a saint. "Painting the light fan in the kitchen" -- are you kidding me??