Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

No injuries this year yet, I'm hoping not to repeat last year's stupid accident. I was removing a mini bulb from the socket it broke and cut my finger so bad that I needed 4 stiches. Of course there I sat in the hospital in the middle of July trying to explain how I cut my finger on a christmas bulb in July. "The nurse looked at me and said oh you are one of them".........

No injuries this year yet, I'm hoping not to repeat last year's stupid accident. I was removing a mini bulb from the socket it broke and cut my finger so bad that I needed 4 stiches. Of course there I sat in the hospital in the middle of July trying to explain how I cut my finger on a christmas bulb in July. "The nurse looked at me and said oh you are one of them".........

This needs to be under the, you might be a Christmas decorator if.... section.

As for my injury, I sliced the bottom of my arm from my wrist halfway to my elbow. (no I'm not suicidal, but it does look like it) I would have cut the palm of my hands if I wasn't wearing gloves. I need to remember to wear long sleeves when cutting metal for my tune to signs. Luckily its just a surface wound so I will be starting hanging lights tonight!

THANKS. I printed this out for my wife. She tests/repairs/fixes all the lights. I thought I was protecting her with a portable GFCI for use in the house. . . Little did I know the dangers lurking in repair!

I got bit by a spider today while pulling lights out of a storage container.

I'm hoping you made that up; not the spider bite, but the fact that you are still pulling lights out on December 18!

Rather embarrassed to say, cause I do preach safety first here. On 15 October i was putting up the last Halloween item - a gargoyle blowup - on the roof. While transferring from the ladder to the roof I put my foot in the wrong spot, knew it as soon as I placed it there. Well I fell about 15 feet to the paved driveway. Broke both bones in my left leg about 6" above the ankle and crushed the radial head in my right arm. So now I have a rod in the left leg and a radial head implant in the right arm. No other injuries - neck, back, etc all fine. I am on crutches now and will be going back to work 3 January. As I was laying there cursing myself for my error in judgement, all I could think of was no Christmas lights! So needless to say it's dark this year. I will survive, PT is going very well - I'm a good healer. I'll be back on the roof in 2012, just a little more cautious of my footing. The 2012 Christmas lights will be better than originally planned as I have been working on it while being laid up.

Edited by NH - Dave

Rather embarrassed to say, cause I do preach safety first here. On 15 October i was putting up the last Halloween item - a gargoyle blowup - on the roof. While transferring from the ladder to the roof I put my foot in the wrong spot, knew it as soon as I placed it there. Well I fell about 15 feet to the paved driveway. Broke both bones in my left leg about 6" above the ankle and crushed the radial head in my right arm. So now I have a rod in the left leg and a radial head implant in the right arm. No other injuries - neck, back, etc all fine. I am on crutches now and will be going back to work 3 January. As I was laying there cursing myself for my error in judgement, all I could think of was no Christmas lights! So needless to say it's dark this year. I will survive, PT is going very well - I'm a good healer. I'll be back on the roof in 2012, just a little more cautious of my footing. The 2012 Christmas lights will be better than originally planned as I have been working on it while being laid up.

ugg. That sounds painful. A lot worse than a whippy spider bite! I hope you heal well and also hope that you use this time to plan the most spectacular display ever. Good Luck.

Last night about had a finger taken off! Speaker tripod got finger caught in it when i smacked it and it closed down I thought it was over all i could say was "THATS MY FINGER!" I reall dunno how i got it out luck i guess

Then other night had a string go out and its plugged in and im grab it start thinking great! Well i must be lucky or something b/c i grabbed the broke bulb and then my hand started buzzing then my arm and im standing there trying to figure out if im having heart attack or stroke im starting to panic! Then realize what had happened Im getting shocked It wasnt that much but it was enough to tell ya something just aint right lol

Other then that I guess i got away clean this year compared to some of ya and other years

Guest Scot Meyers

OUch some of these were painfull. now the funny one.. MAke sure the locks to your Little Giant ladder are locked before clmbing to the top only to have the bottoms of the ladder slide out from underneath you . No injuries but my kids all laughed at me as i rode the ladder down to the ground only 6 ft .

OUch some of these were painfull. now the funny one.. MAke sure the locks to your Little Giant ladder are locked before clmbing to the top only to have the bottoms of the ladder slide out from underneath you . No injuries but my kids all laughed at me as i rode the ladder down to the ground only 6 ft .

Ditto, My family got a great laugh from me falling off my ladder as it fell from under me. the bad part is I now have to replace the pourch rail as son a it warms up.