My Sequencing Non-tutorial

All,

Just wrote a blog post that I've been thinking about for a while.

http://www.greenlakechristmas.com/2011/09/27/synchronizing-lights-to-music-part-2/

First, there's a Part 1 that you can read if you like, but Part 2 is much more interesting. And, what started out as a conversation about sequencing, turned into something different. Definitely not a tutorial.

Anyway, interested in feedback if you have a few minutes.

cheers,

Jeffro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like how you talk about the lights working with the specific parts of the music. It still amazes me that some people with really large displays run sloppy sequences that only seem to have a "fringe" relationship with what's going on in the music - in my mind it makes no sense to have massive controller and channel counts without spot-on sequencing.

Good analysis and well said.

My daughter, who spent 4 years in marching band, told me the exact same thing you wrote in your blog. It will take me years to get the sequencing down, I can't even clap my hands to the beat of music. Last year my sequencing looked like a GE Lights & Sounds of Christmas with 16 channels!

I like how you talk about the lights working with the specific parts of the music. It still amazes me that some people with really large displays run sloppy sequences that only seem to have a "fringe" relationship with what's going on in the music - in my mind it makes no sense to have massive controller and channel counts without spot-on sequencing.

Good analysis and well said.

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I very much agree with the aspect of synchronization. To me, the display is second-rate if sequencing is off. At that point, it becomes more of a distraction than anything. I'd much prefer to see a static display, well presented, than a humongous display that doesn't jive with it's music.

My daughter, who spent 4 years in marching band, told me the exact same thing you wrote in your blog. It will take me years to get the sequencing down, I can't even clap my hands to the beat of music. Last year my sequencing looked like a GE Lights & Sounds of Christmas with 16 channels!

Awesome! I'm a former 4-year marching band guy myself. I'm sure I picked up cadence and musical understanding at the time, and didn't even realize it.

Sequencing is not a simple task. I now understand why so many people look to pick up sequencing files from others.

Rely on your daughter. Better yet, make her do the sequencing! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just read your blog and thats a good article! I started to get into this a few years back and for different reasons didn't, but I have been thinking more about it lately and enjoyed reading your thoughts. The only thing I could point out, and it really has nothing to do with the article itself, is I didn't see a link from part 1 to part 2 (I read part 2 first then clicked the link for part 1) and the picture is gone for the 16 channel controller. I appreciate you taking the time to write this and it confirmed in my mind that a smaller well done display is better than a large sloppy display. Thanks and looking forward to more! Merry Christmas!

Just read your blog and thats a good article! I started to get into this a few years back and for different reasons didn't, but I have been thinking more about it lately and enjoyed reading your thoughts. The only thing I could point out, and it really has nothing to do with the article itself, is I didn't see a link from part 1 to part 2 (I read part 2 first then clicked the link for part 1) and the picture is gone for the 16 channel controller. I appreciate you taking the time to write this and it confirmed in my mind that a smaller well done display is better than a large sloppy display. Thanks and looking forward to more! Merry Christmas!

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I had the same thoughts a few years ago. I found it very helpful to actually write down what I wanted out of my display, and I've continued to iterate on it ever since. I very much subscribe to the tenets of simplicity and consistency. In my mind, size doesn't matter if you deliver a sloppy display.

Thanks for the notes on the entries. I added the link to Post 2, as well as fixing the image problem (funky WordPress-ness.)